5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Rough Start on Morning Cold Starts - Should I be concerned?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my truck serviced twice in the last 3 months and both times I explained to them how I experience extremely rough/hard cold starts every morning. Some days my truck stalls out upon morning cold start. I was told "this is common behavior with 5.7 hemi engines and I am to simply cycle start-up in the mornings" . I Know there are members here who experience the same issue I do and my question is will these morning hard starts result in any damage eventually?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Definitely not normal. I’ve never had an issue like this. Any check engine light? Who did you bring it to?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had my truck serviced twice in the last 3 months and both times I explained to them how I experience extremely rough/hard cold starts every morning. Some days my truck stalls out upon morning cold start. I was told "this is common behavior with 5.7 hemi engines and I am to simply cycle start-up in the mornings" . I Know there are members here who experience the same issue I do and my question is will these morning hard starts result in any damage eventually?
Been on the forum close to 3 years and don't recall this being an issue. Will have my Ram 3 years in November, never had a problem.

Bits4brains

Reaction score
In my previous 16,1500 I had this issue. It was the purge valve that sits on the top of the engine so it’s an easy fix. Cheap part too. Although mine eventually threw a code the Problem started way beforehand. Now with that said I had the 3.7 v6 in that truck the Hemi may be different.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Owned truck 1 year. Never had a problem. Even in the miserable Florida winters.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had multiple hemi engines over the years and have never experienced that, definitely not common.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Mine did this a couple times but has stopped since pressing the start button twice to the run position before starting. Maybe the truck needs to wake up first, get juice flowing to the electronic comittee that controls this thing

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t see where you indicate the model year. If a 2019, see below which may be part of the problem:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like the carburetor needs adjustment.

That's definitely not normal, and it's nice to know that the dealer (assuming that's who told you this) passes it off as working normally.

FarmerJohn

Reaction score
Interesting post. I had a recent few rough starts with my 2020 Ram1500 5.7L, with 23k miles. I came here to look, and found posts regarding purge valve issues, etc… I had to buy low octane fuel prior to this tank. I’m guessing the fuel quality is the issue, and need to try another station and stick with the mid-level octane or higher. I’ll post a follow up when I can get another tank full through. Thanks NorthStar!

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been on the forum close to 3 years and don't recall this being an issue. Will have my Ram 3 years in November, never had a problem.
I've been a member for 3 years as well. This issue started happening about 4 months ago.

Tyrant

Reaction score
I have this issue and I believe 3 other cases around here. No codes no issues just rough idle on startup and sometimes even stalling, in my case it seems to be 2 things fuel quality and ambient temp but doesn't happen all time or with any logical sequence.

No negative impact on the vehicle so far, logged it with the dealer for any future issues but as of now just living with it.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try this procedure guys. It worked for me and haven’t had a rough start since.

OPTION TWO-RESET TPS & ACCELERATOR PEDAL (did once and works great so far)
1-Foot OFF of the brake and accelerator pedal
2-Press the START BUTTON until the RUN position is achieved but DO NOT start the vehicle. (If you do, turn off, open door and let everything reset before restarting).
3-Wait until all the instrument panels idiot/cycle lights go OUT (Check Engine light may stay on)
4-Slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly let off. I think a steady and consistent motion is best.
5a-Press START BUTTON again to turn everything off. (Open Door?) Start the truck as normal. That should recalibrate the pedal so that you are using its full range of motion in synch with the throttle body's opening.
or
5b-Press Brake pedal and START BUTTON to start truck."

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try this procedure guys. It worked for me and haven’t had a rough start since.

OPTION TWO-RESET TPS & ACCELERATOR PEDAL (did once and works great so far)
1-Foot OFF of the brake and accelerator pedal
2-Press the START BUTTON until the RUN position is achieved but DO NOT start the vehicle. (If you do, turn off, open door and let everything reset before restarting).
3-Wait until all the instrument panels idiot/cycle lights go OUT (Check Engine light may stay on)
4-Slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly let off. I think a steady and consistent motion is best.
5a-Press START BUTTON again to turn everything off. (Open Door?) Start the truck as normal. That should recalibrate the pedal so that you are using its full range of motion in synch with the throttle body's opening.
or
5b-Press Brake pedal and START BUTTON to start truck."
I was referred to this procedure back when I first got my truck and installed swapped out the stock intake with the AFE stage 2 CAI and was experiencing sluggish throttle response. A member On this site said doing this would help calibrate the new map sensor of the cai. I will try this in the morning tomorrow. thanks for the tip.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t see where you indicate the model year. If a 2019, see below which may be part of the problem:

2019 longhorn 5.7 hemi

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did this a couple times but has stopped since pressing the start button twice to the run position before starting. Maybe the truck needs to wake up first, get juice flowing to the electronic comittee that controls this thing
Do you have to do this cycle every day ? I like the luxury of being able to remote start my truck to warm up from my apt especially in the colder days of winter

Scram1500

Reaction score
Do you have to do this cycle every day ? I like the luxury of being able to remote start my truck to warm up from my apt especially in the colder days of winter
I never had the problem when remote starting

Users who are viewing this thread