5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very first Oil change x 2, 5K OMG why did I do it....and thanks for the heads up on the filter.

borden72

Reaction score
I had a 14 Sport and now a 19 Longhorn. The oil change was indeed labor intense for sure, and I had been thinking about a oil filter relocation kit when I had the Sport. Five years of changing the oil on the Sport (wrapping the rack in plastic, using a vise grip oil filter wrench and zip lock bags) was not my idea of fun, so I purchased a kit from Packpro. I use a oil extraction pump through the dipstick, and with the filter relocated, I am actually looking forward to next years oil change.
I'm going to look into this kit. It looks pricey but worth it for me to save my time over the course of the life of the vehicle. Thanks for posting.

Morenar

Reaction score
Well just finished the first oil change. I could not believe how dark the factory oil was after only 1000 miles. I did as other suggested and brought up the car to running temp. I used https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...57020/10550502-P?searchTerm=oil filter wrench to remove the factory filter. Wasn't as bad I thought it was going to be to remove. I used the two bag method and had no oil spilled while removing the filter. I did however manage to get some oil splashed around when removing the drain plug. Decided to use a small funnel and that did not work out. Then when it hit the drain pan it splashed out. I covered my driveway with cardboard which helped out.
I will be sending the oil out for analysis. Would like to see where it started at with the number.

Attachments

• IMG_9441.JPG
    IMG_9441.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9440.JPG
    IMG_9440.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 81

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well just finished the first oil change. I could not believe how dark the factory oil was after only 1000 miles. I did as other suggested and brought up the car to running temp. I used https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...57020/10550502-P?searchTerm=oil filter wrench to remove the factory filter. Wasn't as bad I thought it was going to be to remove. I used the two bag method and had no oil spilled while removing the filter. I did however manage to get some oil splashed around when removing the drain plug. Decided to use a small funnel and that did not work out. Then when it hit the drain pan it splashed out. I covered my driveway with cardboard which helped out.
I will be sending the oil out for analysis. Would like to see where it started at with the number.

Excellent. Up to temp and two bag method is great on that filter.

Tip on oil splash with the drain pan, make sure to leave the oil cap and dip stick on tight during the initial part of your drain. Don't loosen them before you drain or the oil will come out fast. After its down to a slow drain, then loosen the oil cap and dip stick. I found that just letting it drain and hitting the sway bar is the cleanest way instead of trying to divert it with a funnel or shield. Just wipe the sway bar with an old rag after.

Make sure to also use a large deep 8-10 quart drain pan, also helps reduce any mess.

RHeller1

Reaction score
I really didnt think it was that much worse that my 2014. Alot of things in the way, but still pretty easy when going in from the front. :confused:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did mine today and not a problem at all. I used my trusty Channel Locks and the factory installed filter unscrewed easily. Used the plastic bag at the point and had it replaced in under two minutes.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I'm going to look into this kit. It looks pricey but worth it for me to save my time over the course of the life of the vehicle. Thanks for posting.
It wasnt that much; at $234.00 plus shipping it was well worth it to me. Actually, it is priceless! Lol

nburd

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Next time will be the “dual bag” method for sure. The single bag certainly does not work for the oil that comes out after the filter removal. My supple Left arm skin is a testament to that. The easy to wrench off properly installed filter should make things much easier for a no mess change next time. I am kind of looking forward to it.

Great comment on leaving the dipstick in and oil cover on during the drain. I did that and the drain was really no mess other than a drip on the sway bar.

That comment reminded me of my ‘13 Ram First change where I did remove the cover and the oil came out with such force that it overshot my drain pan, like over 12-15” to the rear of the pan and onto the floor. ....thank-you for the reminder.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve tried the double gallon plastic bag method.

One on the filter and one over my head to keep the oil out of my eyes. Not a drop of oil on me or the ground from the filter removal process but have to admit it was hard to breathe and got foggy damned quick.

rocsmopar

Reaction score
I had a 14 Sport and now a 19 Longhorn. The oil change was indeed labor intense for sure, and I had been thinking about a oil filter relocation kit when I had the Sport. Five years of changing the oil on the Sport (wrapping the rack in plastic, using a vise grip oil filter wrench and zip lock bags) was not my idea of fun, so I purchased a kit from Packpro. I use a oil extraction pump through the dipstick, and with the filter relocated, I am actually looking forward to next years oil change.
I tried to use my extractor today and couldn't get it to pick up any oil. Do you have any idea the size of the tube on your extractor?

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I tried to use my extractor today and couldn't get it to pick up any oil. Do you have any idea the size of the tube on your extractor?

The smallest diameter tube on my extractor is 1/4" o.d., which is too big as it wont go all the way into the oil pan ( stops right about where the dipstick tube attaches to the engine block). I found some 4mm o.d. 3mm i.d. PTFE tubing on e-bay and it goes all the way into the oil pan.

Morenar

Reaction score
So question. Like I posted earlier, I did my oil change on Saturday. I let the oil drain for about 20-30 min. While it was draining, I removed the oil cap and dipstick as well as replaced the oil filter during that time. Once it was down to a small drip I replaced the drain plug. All this while on ramps. I went ahead and filled it with 6 quarts, backed it off of the ramps and made sure it was on level ground. Waited a few minutes and checked the reading on the dipstick. It showed right around the add mark. So I said, I should be able to add another quart. Once I did, I waited a few minutes and checked the reading again and it showed right at the second hole on the dipstick.
Pressure on the dash shows around 27-30 at Idle and around 55-58 while driving. So it seems to be ok. So I decide to check it today after driving and getting the car up to temp. Parked it, waited 5 min and checked the dipstick. From my reading, it looks to be a bit over the second hole on the dipstick.
Should I be concerned? It may be me, but the car at idling while parked seems to vibrate just a bit more and I can feel the MDS kick in around 40-45 MPH which I didn't before. I used PUP 5w20 and a Mopar filter. No leaks at all anywhere.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So question. Like I posted earlier, I did my oil change on Saturday. I let the oil drain for about 20-30 min. While it was draining, I removed the oil cap and dipstick as well as replaced the oil filter during that time. Once it was down to a small drip I replaced the drain plug. All this while on ramps. I went ahead and filled it with 6 quarts, backed it off of the ramps and made sure it was on level ground. Waited a few minutes and checked the reading on the dipstick. It showed right around the add mark. So I said, I should be able to add another quart. Once I did, I waited a few minutes and checked the reading again and it showed right at the second hole on the dipstick.
Pressure on the dash shows around 27-30 at Idle and around 55-58 while driving. So it seems to be ok. So I decide to check it today after driving and getting the car up to temp. Parked it, waited 5 min and checked the dipstick. From my reading, it looks to be a bit over the second hole on the dipstick.
Should I be concerned? It may be me, but the car at idling while parked seems to vibrate just a bit more and I can feel the MDS kick in around 40-45 MPH which I didn't before. I used PUP 5w20 and a Mopar filter. No leaks at all anywhere.

No, it takes quite a bit more over max to damage an engine. Even half a quart over won't damage your engine, especially with a crankcase that holds 7 quarts. Heck, most dealerships easily do 1/4 quart over, I'm sure you are likely even less than that. If you are just slightly over, could just be a natural variance with the dipstick, since it's a long and not exactly straight. It's honestly the most bendy long dip stick I've ever seen and probably not accurate within a few mm.

If you drained as long as you did and replaced the filter and the measuring cup you use to get that last 2 quarts is somewhat accurate, you are fine. I think you need to be 1 quart or more over to be considered in danger of frothing the oil from the crankshaft.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Ok... just to be sure nothing’s changed in the last couple decades - I’ve always lubed the seal with some fresh oil and hand tightened the filter (contact + .75 to 1 turn). From then on out no tools other than man hands are required to change the filter.

I haven’t changed the oil on this truck myself yet, but am curious if the old 3/4-1 turn after contact rule doesn’t apply any longer.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ok... just to be sure nothing’s changed in the last couple decades - I’ve always lubed the seal with some fresh oil and hand tightened the filter (contact + .75 to 1 turn). From then on out no tools other than man hands are required to change the filter.

I haven’t changed the oil on this truck myself yet, but am curious if the old 3/4-1 turn after contact rule doesn’t apply any longer.

That's exactly correct, though the OEM filter on the box shows 1 full turn after contact. But either should be fine. Never any tools on these filters, there are some motorcycle filters that require a tool to reach a certain spec (such as my SV650), as is with almost all canister style filters, but these automotive screw on filters are always hand tighten.

If it's your first oil change with the factory installed filter, get it up to operating temp before trying to remove. It will come off easy.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And always verify the black seal on the old filter came off with the old filter. Some guys don’t check it and have ended up with the old seal remaining which then mates up with the seal on the new filter which causes leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread