5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very first Oil change x 2, 5K OMG why did I do it....and thanks for the heads up on the filter.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone use this product when doing a oil change?

OIL UDDER W/Drain Kit​

That would be really hard to fit due to space limitation under the filter itself. Just use two large zip lock bags. Works like a treat. After your break the seal on the filter, unscrew about haft turn, then place first bag over filter, unscrew some more until it begins dripping/pouring out of filter. Wait about a minute for it to stop, slip off first bag.

Slip on 2nd zip lock bag, finish unscrewing. Remember about 1/8th of a quart of oil will come out when the filter is removed, hold the bag under the filter mount for about 10 seconds after the filter comes off to capture this oil, then you are done.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone use this product when doing a oil change?

OIL UDDER W/Drain Kit​

Lol I thought about buying on but not for that price ..and not without knowing for sure if that would fit in such a small space where the filter is at.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would be really hard to fit due to space limitation under the filter itself. Just use two large zip lock bags. Works like a treat. After your break the seal on the filter, unscrew about haft turn, then place first bag over filter, unscrew some more until it begins dripping/pouring out of filter. Wait about a minute for it to stop, slip off first bag.

Slip on 2nd zip lock bag, finish unscrewing. Remember about 1/8th of a quart of oil will come out when the filter is removed, hold the bag under the filter mount for about 10 seconds after the filter comes off to capture this oil, then you are done.
This might sound like a joke but I'm being serious here ...can you draw a diagram or something on how exactly you're holding the bag while unscrewing the filter...
I tried the bag trick while taking the filter off and it just overfilled from where my hand was on the filter to the top of the bag...smh. Maybe this filter location just dumb-founds me lol.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
This might sound like a joke but I'm being serious here ...can you draw a diagram or something on how exactly you're holding the bag while unscrewing the filter...
I tried the bag trick while taking the filter off and it just overfilled from where my hand was on the filter to the top of the bag...smh. Maybe this filter location just dumb-founds me lol.

Lol, no worries, I may just make a video and post it.

But a description in some detail; I'm on my back facing backwards (top of my head pointing to the rear bumper). I am removing the filter from the back side.

You will need two large heavy duty zip lock bags. Quart to 1 gallon size, you really cant go too big. I also have a small 4 quart drain pan lying to my right where I will place the dirty bags afterwards.

Important is you unscrew the filter enough to be able to loosen by hand, but not enough to start leaking out. Roughly about 1/2 turn. Then place the bag over the filter, pull the bag all the way up until the bottom of the bag is touching the bottom of the filter. This will allow you to grip the filter with palm of your right hand.

Then start unscrew the filter until it begins to leak. Then use your fingers to hold the top of the bag, allowing the oil to drain and pool at the bottom of the bag.

Wait until it stops draining, about 1-2 minutes. Then slip this bag off and place it in the small drain pan to your right.

Slip on the 2nd bag, again pushing all the way up until the bottom of the bag is touch the bottom of the filter. Continue unscrewing until it comes off. I have my left hand holding on to the top of the bag so when the filter comes loose, I don't drop it. Hold for a few seconds to pick-up the oil that comes out of the filter mount. Then place 2nd bag and filter in the drain pan to your right.

That's it. It's easier and simpler in practice than me explaining it.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol, no worries, I may just make a video and post it.

But a description in some detail; I'm on my back facing backwards (top of my head pointing to the rear bumper). I am removing the filter from the back side.

You will need two large heavy duty zip lock bags. Quart to 1 gallon size, you really cant go too big. I also have a small 4 quart drain pan lying to my right where I will place the dirty bags afterwards.

Important is you unscrew the filter enough to be able to loosen by hand, but not enough to start leaking out. Roughly about 1/2 turn. Then place the bag over the filter, pull the bag all the way up until the bottom of the bag is touching the bottom of the filter. This will allow you to grip the filter with palm of your right hand.

Then start unscrew the filter until it begins to leak. Then use your fingers to hold the top of the bag, allowing the oil to drain and pool at the bottom of the bag.

Wait until it stops draining, about 1-2 minutes. Then slip this bag off and place it in the small drain pan to your right.

Slip on the 2nd bag, again pushing all the way up until the bottom of the bag is touch the bottom of the filter. Continue unscrewing until it comes off. I have my left hand holding on to the top of the bag so when the filter comes loose, I don't drop it. Hold for a few seconds to pick-up the oil that comes out of the filter mount. Then place 2nd bag and filter in the drain pan to your right.

That's it. It's easier and simpler in practice than me explaining it.
No that actually makes sense ...I think my error was not having my hand on the bottom of the filter but trying to turn it at the sides. I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that out! The last question though is ..how do you get the filter out completely after unscrewing it? When I'm taking it out I have to turn it on its side because I can't seem to find enough from to take it out right side up...hope that makes sense lol.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
No that actually makes sense ...I think my error was not having my hand on the bottom of the filter but trying to turn it at the sides. I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that out! The last question though is ..how do you get the filter out completely after unscrewing it? When I'm taking it out I have to turn it on its side because I can't seem to find enough from to take it out right side up...hope that makes sense lol.

Happy to help :)

I think like you, it have to manipulate the filter a little to get it out, but that's the great thing about using a 2nd fresh (large) zip lock bag that doesn't have much oil in it, you can turn the filter on it's side without spilling any.

And I can't stress enough how having a 2nd smaller drain pan next to you will keep things clean and easy. If you don't have one, get one at Walmart for $3. You don't want to lay your zip locs in the same pan with 7 quarts of oil in it.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happy to help :)

I think like you, it have to manipulate the filter a little to get it out, but that's the great thing about using a 2nd fresh (large) zip lock bag that doesn't have much oil in it, you can turn the filter on it's side without spilling any.

And I can't stress enough how having a 2nd smaller drain pan next to you will keep things clean and easy. If you don't have one, get one at Walmart for $3. You don't want to lay your zip locs in the same pan with 7 quarts of oil in it.
I hear that my friend!

KnightMoves

Reaction score
I am just about to hit 3K miles and will be looking at the first oil change. I have elected to take it into the dealer to avoid the hassle of DIY (even though I would prefer to...) Here is a great package deal that is being offered right now for three oil changes:
1605295397858.png

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I am just about to hit 3K miles and will be looking at the first oil change. I have elected to take it into the dealer to avoid the hassle of DIY (even though I would prefer to...) Here is a great package deal that is being offered right now for three oil changes:
View attachment 73848

It's not really a hassle, check out my notes here, honestly I enjoy doing them now, can't wait to do my next one on my RAM.

I personally don't trust FCA dealerships and the lower level tech they are likely going to put on my job.

KnightMoves

Reaction score
It's not really a hassle, check out my notes here, honestly I enjoy doing them now, can't wait to do my next one on my RAM.

I personally don't trust FCA dealerships and the lower level tech they are likely going to put on my job.
By "hassle", I think I mean the battles of Nov-Dec weather & temps in Nebraska, and not having much room in my garage to get it done :). Maybe during the summer months I'll tackle it if I run into it down the road. I viewed your write-up; nice job and thanks for the tips!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
By "hassle", I think I mean the battles of Nov-Dec weather & temps in Nebraska, and not having much room in my garage to get it done :). Maybe during the summer months I'll tackle it if I run into it down the road. I viewed your write-up; nice job and thanks for the tips!

Oh gotcha :)

Yea, that makes total sense.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

(After oil change) "you said conventional oil, right?" ....the world of shady uneducated oil change techs lol.
Or..."couldn't find the same oil filter but this random one fit" hehe.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to do that with 2x4s on the side of my road in my F150 lol. But that oil filter was easy to change.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a picture of 2 oil filter wrenches that worked really well for the Ram; both were purchased at Harbor Freight. Now that I relocated the oil filter, I will most likely use a strap wrench.

Attachments

• 20201113_140017.jpg
    20201113_140017.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 21

mdschadler

Reaction score
I used a strap wrench, worked well coming in from the front. That bag method is genius!

Paultg

Reaction score
I read on another post someone that had luck using this
View attachment 73708 https://www.motivxtools.com/products/universal-2-5-3-25-oil-filter-wrench I tried to see if anyone else had used them before but couldn't find any posts.
I use something like this on my other vehicles and they work great. Haven’t needed to do the 1st change on the Ram yet.

Ive also used a solo cup on another vehicle which might be an option instead of a ziplock bag? But I’m also thinking you could zip tie the zip lock bag to filter too which might be easier.

Attachments

• CBD2442C-36E0-4B74-9B98-B41798DE74F9.jpeg
    CBD2442C-36E0-4B74-9B98-B41798DE74F9.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did my own oil changes on all my FCA vehicles after the 5 year power train warranty was over, I used the crab claw looking channel locking pliers that did crush the filters but did do the job of removing it, I lined up an oil pan tray and funnel under the drain plug, let it drain then under the oil filter, removed it and let it drain, also tried to keep the oil filter vertical to keep it from spilling excessively, then threw it in the funnel. I did that in my garage on my back on a creeper with a rag close by. For me it is not a big issue to spill oil on the floor of my garage, the cross members or my hands, just wipe it down after the job, it’s not a kitchen floor!
Now with my new Rebel, I will not miss removing the oil filter on my back under the truck, I have the 3rd generation turbo diesel and the filter is on top of the engine, easily accessible under the hood. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time so like before I will do my own oil changes after the power train warranty is over. This is my tenth FCA vehicle and paying more for the oil change at the dealer always paid off, they tend to be more forgiving if issues develop during ownership for warranty and other wear and tear items.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use something like this on my other vehicles and they work great. Haven’t needed to do the 1st change on the Ram yet.

Ive also used a solo cup on another vehicle which might be an option instead of a ziplock bag? But I’m also thinking you could zip tie the zip lock bag to filter too which might be easier.
Great idea...I tried it...didn't work. There's really no room to get a cup in there. I'm afraid SD REBEL is correct...only effective way must be the 2 bag trick.

jmr

Reaction score
The problem is that the factory doesn't lube the oil filter seal during assembly so it's a pain to remove the first time.
On this truck the first oil change I had the dealer do since it was free. I've done them all since and the bag over the filter helps
but I put rags over the diff/rack area and that seems to reduce the mess.

Users who are viewing this thread