5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very first Oil change x 2, 5K OMG why did I do it....and thanks for the heads up on the filter.

nburd

Reaction score
I did mine myself. That oil filter location sucks! Thanks to all for warning me. I did get it off after spilling oil all over the rack and pinion while even using the plastic baggie (at least 80% of it was contained). It cleaned up OK. The sway bar is an issue but it only gets a drip on it. Also that filter was pretty tight, my end wrench (with swivel and extension) kept slipping on the end but it finally freed with a lot of upward pressure. Just a royal pain. The new filter is a wrench off, K & N. I hope that makes future changes easier with a 1" wrench. I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Any oil that gives you a 15 year 500K warranty must be good. It was on sale at WalMart for $24.00/5 QTs. My dealer charges $89.99 plus tax for a generic synthetic change so I am way ahead of that cost.

So I finished mine in 1/2 hour or so. My son's 20 warlock has 6K and since mine went pretty well and I bought enough Ultra and filters for 2 changes I offered to be the nice dad and save him $90. I regret that offer. My first ram was a '13 hemi Express 4x4 and I could do a change on that in 15 minutes. Everything was very accessible. Oil filter was big around and easy. Now they have the same filter as GM, a little one and must have moved the location a little during a redesign.......

The oil drained real easy, no sway bar to wipe after, but the filter! Worse location that the 20 DT, closer to the rack. I could not get my end wrench and swivel adapter on the end. Too tight to hand off, I tried my C type Fram wrench, that poked a hole in it, bathing me in oil and still would not budge. Then 4" Channel locks with a full opening, that just dented more and would not spin in. A 1/2" regular screw driver punched all the way through just tore the filter when I tried to rotate. The filter was so thin the metal ripped like paper. After all that, a rag and 2 hands hand on the sharp metal could not do it. Finally, a shorter phillips driven into the upper part of the filter (no thread contact) and it moved a little. After 1 hour, it finally came off. It must have been installed dry with an impact wrench at the factory. I installed another wrench off K & N for future ease of changes. At least the metal of the K & N is nearly twice the thickness of the MOPAR filter. I have never used them and wanted to use a WIX but that wrench off will be a time saver.

I would have taken pictures, but this was the messiest oil change I have ever done and my hands, shirt, floor, hair, face were too oily to touch the camera. I guess I have some of my undercoating done already. It's nice to save $45.00 each but I am reconsidering my planned 5K vs factory 10K change intervals.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think ever since they moved some steering components from hydrolic to electric steering, it just put everything right under that filter.

Back when I had my old 2012 ram with the hemi, it wasn’t bad to change p.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Morenar

Reaction score
I did mine myself. That oil filter location sucks! Thanks to all for warning me. I did get it off after spilling oil all over the rack and pinion while even using the plastic baggie (at least 80% of it was contained). It cleaned up OK. The sway bar is an issue but it only gets a drip on it. Also that filter was pretty tight, my end wrench (with swivel and extension) kept slipping on the end but it finally freed with a lot of upward pressure. Just a royal pain. The new filter is a wrench off, K & N. I hope that makes future changes easier with a 1" wrench. I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Any oil that gives you a 15 year 500K warranty must be good. It was on sale at WalMart for $24.00/5 QTs. My dealer charges $89.99 plus tax for a generic synthetic change so I am way ahead of that cost.

So I finished mine in 1/2 hour or so. My son's 20 warlock has 6K and since mine went pretty well and I bought enough Ultra and filters for 2 changes I offered to be the nice dad and save him $90. I regret that offer. My first ram was a '13 hemi Express 4x4 and I could do a change on that in 15 minutes. Everything was very accessible. Oil filter was big around and easy. Now they have the same filter as GM, a little one and must have moved the location a little during a redesign.......

The oil drained real easy, no sway bar to wipe after, but the filter! Worse location that the 20 DT, closer to the rack. I could not get my end wrench and swivel adapter on the end. Too tight to hand off, I tried my C type Fram wrench, that poked a hole in it, bathing me in oil and still would not budge. Then 4" Channel locks with a full opening, that just dented more and would not spin in. A 1/2" regular screw driver punched all the way through just tore the filter when I tried to rotate. The filter was so thin the metal ripped like paper. After all that, a rag and 2 hands hand on the sharp metal could not do it. Finally, a shorter phillips driven into the upper part of the filter (no thread contact) and it moved a little. After 1 hour, it finally came off. It must have been installed dry with an impact wrench at the factory. I installed another wrench off K & N for future ease of changes. At least the metal of the K & N is nearly twice the thickness of the MOPAR filter. I have never used them and wanted to use a WIX but that wrench off will be a time saver.

I would have taken pictures, but this was the messiest oil change I have ever done and my hands, shirt, floor, hair, face were too oily to touch the camera. I guess I have some of my undercoating done already. It's nice to save $45.00 each but I am reconsidering my planned 5K vs factory 10K change intervals.
I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my 2021. I had read and been advised from folks on here to get the car up to normal temp which gets the oil around 200 degrees. Make's it easier to remove the filter. Did you have it up warmed up when you removed it?

nburd

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my 2021. I had read and been advised from folks on here to get the car up to normal temp which gets the oil around 200 degrees. Make's it easier to remove the filter. Did you have it up warmed up when you removed it?
Yes. they were warm.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I had a 14 Sport and now a 19 Longhorn. The oil change was indeed labor intense for sure, and I had been thinking about a oil filter relocation kit when I had the Sport. Five years of changing the oil on the Sport (wrapping the rack in plastic, using a vise grip oil filter wrench and zip lock bags) was not my idea of fun, so I purchased a kit from Packpro. I use a oil extraction pump through the dipstick, and with the filter relocated, I am actually looking forward to next years oil change.

Attachments

• 20201111_135940.jpg
    20201111_135940.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 20201111_135917.jpg
    20201111_135917.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 326
  • 20201111_135855.jpg
    20201111_135855.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 20201111_135848.jpg
    20201111_135848.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 340

Granite2WD

Reaction score
It's not the engine temperature that makes it challenging. It's the assembly line worker with anger issues and a world-class power tool that installs the original filter in a location that made sense on a previous vehicle.

Atlantahank

Reaction score
Good morning, changed my filter (OEM) and oil, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum last week and ran into the same issue. The oil filter was a beast to remove, finally got some Channel Locks around it and got it loose but not before it leaked oil all over the place from tearing open. That remote oil kit may be the way to go.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do miss the days of changing oil on my old 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 318...much easier than on these newer Rams.

nburd

Reaction score
I ordered these last night, some insurance just in case the "nut" on the K & N fails..... I am also working with my Mechanical Engineer son (who has the Warlock) to 3d Print a combo wrench/oil catch device (with maybe a drain hose/valve) custom for the filter removal. I will let you know the progress.

1605192978272.png

nburd

Reaction score
I had a 14 Sport and now a 19 Longhorn. The oil change was indeed labor intense for sure, and I had been thinking about a oil filter relocation kit when I had the Sport. Five years of changing the oil on the Sport (wrapping the rack in plastic, using a vise grip oil filter wrench and zip lock bags) was not my idea of fun, so I purchased a kit from Packpro. I use a oil extraction pump through the dipstick, and with the filter relocated, I am actually looking forward to next years oil change.
Very cool. If FCA offered this as a kit, I would do it in a heartbeat. My only concern would be arguing this with the dealer/FCA if I had an internal engine issue. This is truly modifying the design of the oil filter system (granted I know it's just a line extension, and I know as an Engineer that there is no issue) but FCA may take exception to that and some day, I have to prove this did not cause a lubrication related failure. As we all know, manufacturers will use any excuse to potentially not cover an issue. Anyway, this is a fantastic solution.

Morenar

Reaction score
I ordered these last night, some insurance just in case the "nut" on the K & N fails..... I am also working with my Mechanical Engineer son (who has the Warlock) to 3d Print a combo wrench/oil catch device (with maybe a drain hose/valve) custom for the filter removal. I will let you know the progress.

View attachment 73706
I read on another post someone that had luck using this
1605194261480.png https://www.motivxtools.com/products/universal-2-5-3-25-oil-filter-wrench I tried to see if anyone else had used them before but couldn't find any posts.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Very cool. If FCA offered this as a kit, I would do it in a heartbeat. My only concern would be arguing this with the dealer/FCA if I had an internal engine issue. This is truly modifying the design of the oil filter system (granted I know it's just a line extension, and I know as an Engineer that there is no issue) but FCA may take exception to that and some day, I have to prove this did not cause a lubrication related failure. As we all know, manufacturers will use any excuse to potentially not cover an issue. Anyway, this is a fantastic solution.
I thought that through before going ahead with the purchase and installation. The beauty of this kit is that it can be removed without a trace if the truck ever had to go in for a warranty issue. The remote filter bracket uses existing holes in the frame which was importan, as I did not want to drill into it. It is a very high quality kit and should be trouble free.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me thinks the oil filter placement on these trucks was deliberate to increase dealer service visits.
Initially I found it impossible to loosen the original oil filter trying to access it from directly underneath.
After 10 minutes of cursing up a storm I finally changed the way I accessed the oil filter. If you come in from the opening that faces the front of the truck you can get the filter wrench on more securely. Once I did that it came loose pretty easily.
Next time I'm going to let the motor cool down more before removing the filter. That hot oil filling up the ziplock bag almost made me panic from impending skin burns.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me thinks the oil filter placement on these trucks was deliberate to increase dealer service visits.
Initially I found it impossible to loosen the original oil filter trying to access it from directly underneath.
After 10 minutes of cursing up a storm I finally changed the way I accessed the oil filter. If you come in from the opening that faces the front of the truck you can get the filter wrench on more securely. Once I did that it came loose pretty easily.
Next time I'm going to let the motor cool down more before removing the filter. That hot oil filling up the ziplock bag almost made me panic from impending skin burns.
This is the way to go. I changed the oil on my 2019 hemi myself. I went at the filter from the front of the truck. It is in a crappy spot but I didn’t have much trouble getting it off. I understand that making a big mess is not what you want when changing the oil but It’s not going to hurt anything. Just takes some clean up time.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha! I wouldn't. That hot oil from the filter is going to drip all over you and it will suuuuuck.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it's the first oil filter, I highly recommend getting it up to 200F before doing the oil change, makes it really easy to remove. I have helped 3 other RAM owners do their first oil changes, it works.

Also, you need to use the the TWO BAG METHOD. Use two zip lock bags to remove the filter. First bag captures the initial oil. Then take it off, put on a 2nd bag. Then finish removing the filter.

I literally didn't spill a drop of oil from the filter.

WW2

Reaction score
Not an ideal setup for an oil change for sure, but I can handle it once a year or so...ANYTHING is better than trusting the minimum wage flunkies they put changing oil at the dealerships...I have story after story of their screw ups...you have no real idea of what oil they used or if they even changed the filter...sorry, no trust here, been burned too many times...just do it your self and clean up the mess... ITS WORTH IT !!!!!!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

View attachment 73706

Those will put small cracks in the oil filter, word of warning from experience.

ecke555

Reaction score
Anyone use this product when doing a oil change?

OIL UDDER W/Drain Kit​

Users who are viewing this thread