5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VERY dangerous problem

5th limited

Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Limited. Let's just say it has many "quality issues". But by far this is the most dangerous. Pretty much from the start the stop/start system hasn't worked. Normally that wouldn't be a huge deal I just turn it off every time I start the truck. It is a huge pain in the behind but it is so much less troublesome than if I leave it on. What happens is I will come to a stop and the truck just dies. Not only that but it won't restart. As you can see from the picture the display says the Hood is Open. So this has happened in commute traffic, at intersections (one of them in the one of the busiest intersections in San Francisco) and to my wife. I have to get out of the truck to make sure the hood is in fact closed then hop back in and try to start it. Now understand I am standing in traffic, with cars zipping by me on all sides with their horns blaring as I am making sure the hood is closed. The truck dies, shifts itself into park and wouldn't start back up. The truck will just crank and crank and crank. Then I learned if I turn from Park to Drive and then back to park, then press the start button it will fire back up. I have already taken it into the dealer once and they replaced some sort of module but that repair lasted long enough to get me across town. I am going to take it to different dealer to try again (and have them look at many of the other problems) 20200813_110745.jpg but i was hoping somebody might have had a similar problem. As many of us know Ram dealers nearly always need help!! Has anybody had this problem?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmm, I’ve had “tailgate not closed” but nothing on the hood of my Ltd.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Wow that is really bad! I've never heard about something like that happening!
The only thing that came close to it for me was that sometimes i engage the parking brake on long lights and usually when i touch the gas, it releases and i can keep going...
One time when i pressed the gas in order to continue driving, the whole cluster turned on and i had like 5-6 lights blinking at me... Traction control and a bunch of other stuff...
The truck didn't go into drive until i turned it off and started it back up... At this time, about a 100 cars were passing me while honking, it was pretty bad... Never used this feature again lol

vegaskeith

Reaction score
Make sure ALL of the fuses and relays in the under hood box are fully pressed in. My Limited stalled twice, we found out several relays were NOT fully inserted from the factory, including the fuel pump. Got all sorts of dashboard messages. We pushed them all in and NO issue since.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before you take the truck to the dealer, call FCA and create a STAR case
1-800-521-9922, option 4 (if my notes are accurate).

calmly explain your issue, number of times you have experienced your issue, the dealer used, repairs made, and answer any questions they may ask.

have the FCA rep. find you a dealer that will have a rental vehicle, so that they can take all the time needed to get your truck as it should be.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Limited. Let's just say it has many "quality issues". But by far this is the most dangerous. Pretty much from the start the stop/start system hasn't worked. Normally that wouldn't be a huge deal I just turn it off every time I start the truck. It is a huge pain in the behind but it is so much less troublesome than if I leave it on. What happens is I will come to a stop and the truck just dies. Not only that but it won't restart. As you can see from the picture the display says the Hood is Open. So this has happened in commute traffic, at intersections (one of them in the one of the busiest intersections in San Francisco) and to my wife. I have to get out of the truck to make sure the hood is in fact closed then hop back in and try to start it. Now understand I am standing in traffic, with cars zipping by me on all sides with their horns blaring as I am making sure the hood is closed. The truck dies, shifts itself into park and wouldn't start back up. The truck will just crank and crank and crank. Then I learned if I turn from Park to Drive and then back to park, then press the start button it will fire back up. I have already taken it into the dealer once and they replaced some sort of module but that repair lasted long enough to get me across town. I am going to take it to different dealer to try again (and have them look at many of the other problems) View attachment 67935 but i was hoping somebody might have had a similar problem. As many of us know Ram dealers nearly always need help!! Has anybody had this problem?
Never heard of this...but there’s a sensor that is designed to shut the engine off as a safety feature if the hood is popped while the engine is running (under certain conditions). I’d maybe start there.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe there are a few threads on faulty hood switch assemblies. Might be your issue?
That was the first thing that came to mind, and I would think should have been the first thing checked by the service tech.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard of this...but there’s a sensor that is designed to shut the engine off as a safety feature if the hood is popped while the engine is running (under certain conditions). I’d maybe start there.
Only when remote starting. The engine will stay on if you start if from the button, regardless of the hood sensor input.

RamCares

Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Limited. Let's just say it has many "quality issues". But by far this is the most dangerous. Pretty much from the start the stop/start system hasn't worked. Normally that wouldn't be a huge deal I just turn it off every time I start the truck. It is a huge pain in the behind but it is so much less troublesome than if I leave it on. What happens is I will come to a stop and the truck just dies. Not only that but it won't restart. As you can see from the picture the display says the Hood is Open. So this has happened in commute traffic, at intersections (one of them in the one of the busiest intersections in San Francisco) and to my wife. I have to get out of the truck to make sure the hood is in fact closed then hop back in and try to start it. Now understand I am standing in traffic, with cars zipping by me on all sides with their horns blaring as I am making sure the hood is closed. The truck dies, shifts itself into park and wouldn't start back up. The truck will just crank and crank and crank. Then I learned if I turn from Park to Drive and then back to park, then press the start button it will fire back up. I have already taken it into the dealer once and they replaced some sort of module but that repair lasted long enough to get me across town. I am going to take it to different dealer to try again (and have them look at many of the other problems) but i was hoping somebdy might have had a similar problem. As many of us know Ram dealers nearly always need help!! Has anybody had this problem?

I am deeply sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing, @5th limited. At this point, I would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Our team is just a private message away if this would be of interest!

Mark
RamCares

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yeah... Never heard of this either. As others have said, most likely it's a faulty sensor.

5th limited

Reaction score
I am deeply sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing, @5th limited. At this point, I would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Our team is just a private message away if this would be of interest!

Mark
RamCares
Hello Mark

I would very much like to get this escalated to get t fixed. There is a huge list of things wrong with this truck but by far this is my number 1 concern

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello Mark

I would very much like to get this escalated to get t fixed. There is a huge list of things wrong with this truck but by far this is my number 1 concern

Thank you very much for following up! Please send over your VIN via private message so that I may begin the escalation process on your behalf. Thank you in advance.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online