5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vented Seats Inconsistent

DTru

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed their vented/cooled seats being inconsistent? Its a brand new 2020 1500 limited and what made me start noticing was one day I was driving with my brother in the passenger seat when I turned on his sides cooling and he said it was really cold and felt like a air hockey table. I was puzzled as mine was never more than just "cool".

When I start my truck its preset to low and the first thing I do is set it to high. Over the past few months there have been a handful of times where the seat actually felt cold and made me realize what he was talking about, the rest of the time its just slightly cooler than ambient.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Same with mine, very rarely are mine ever actually cold, they just feel like a fan most of the time instead of actual cold air. kinda the same with the A/C in the truck as well. This heat wave hasn't been fun so far.

DTru

Reaction score
Now that I think of it my AC is pretty inconsistent as well. I have it set to auto. I am going to keep an eye on it to see if there is a correlation.

DTru

Reaction score
The seats aren't air conditioned. All they do is pull what ever air is in the truck into the seat. Pull air not blow air.

Ahhh didnt know that. Thanks for the info. Will have to play around with it now.

Do you know where it pulls from?

Also, are you able to keep your preset to high? Mine keeps defaulting to low.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahhh didnt know that. Thanks for the info. Will have to play around with it now.

The system is defaulted to low for the driver when you have it set up to come on when starting the truck. No adjustment other than changing it once you're going. I'm pretty sure the blowers are located inside the seat bottom and back and just exit around the bottom. Just guessing

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

It pulls air into the seats through the perforations in the seating surface. So theoretically you can share your farts with your passengers

Mine starts on high if I remote start my truck. Then changes to low after I press the start button. I don't know if you can change that so that it stays on high. I'll have to play around with mine and see if I can change it.

DTru

Reaction score
It pulls air into the seats through the perforations in the seating surface. So theoretically you can share your farts with your passengers

Mine starts on high if I remote start my truck. Then changes to low after I press the start button. I don't know if you can change that so that it stays on high. I'll have to play around with mine and see if I can change it.

I have heard a few people state that it does not BLOW air but it SUCKS the air instead. How did you come to this conclusion?

Mine absolutely feels like its blowing air and it does not make sense to suck moisture from your body into the seat.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have heard a few people state that it does not BLOW air but it SUCKS the air instead. How did you come to this conclusion?

Mine absolutely feels like its blowing air and it does not make sense to suck moisture from your body into the seat.

Sucks air from under the seat area then blows it onto your butt. :giggle:

JDBob35a

Reaction score
These seats are something I've been very unhappy with on the truck. They are very inconsistent at best, rarely can I tell it's doing anything even on high.
Seems like the engineers could have tapped into the a/c duct somehow so they actually cool, don't know for certain that is how the Fords work but my Fords cooled seats worked much better.
One of my fans is already making a noise for the first few minutes it's on and needs to go the dealer but I'm sure I'll just get the "We can't replicate it" story I always get.

sylvan oaks

Reaction score
I have been wondering myself why the 3 speeds for seat cooling, as the high setting is never enough, BUT, the last time I had it out on a hot day I had turned the blower speed up to like 6, and it actually felt like the seats were cooling better.
Is it possible the blower speed has an effect???

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The seats are not air conditioned. They are ventilated and they pull / suck air into the seat. Easy to verify. Put the "ventilated" seat on high and put a piece of paper against the back of the seat(where your back touches). The paper will stay. The seat bottom is the same. The paper will stay tight to the seat. It won't blow off.

RJS

Reaction score
The seats are not air conditioned. They are ventilated and they pull / suck air into the seat. Easy to verify. Put the "ventilated" seat on high and put a piece of paper against the back of the seat(where your back touches). The paper will stay. The seat bottom is the same. The paper will stay tight to the seat. It won't blow off.
Like this

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Sucks air from under the seat area then blows it onto your butt. :giggle:

See above post^^
I saw someone demonstrate the same thing with a feather, but same principle.

DTru

Reaction score
Pretty conclusive evidence! lol

I tried it myself and was shocked. Still doesnt make sense to me to pull moisture into the seat but now I understand why they feel inconsistent.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Its the same principle as a fan in your house. Many people don't realize this, but putting a fan into a window blowing out to the outdoors can do more good in the long term than a fan blowing air in.

Same with computers. There is always an exhaust fan or two, but unless you do a custom build or a high end graphics/gaming rig, rarely are their intake fans blowing air in. Many other electronics are the same way, exhaust fans but no intake fans.

Look at the fan on the radiator of the RAM. Its an exhaust fan pulling air through, and blowing away from, the radiator.

Sucking the air down and through the seat, away from your behind, is better at cooling.

Also, if it was the opposite, I'm sure there'd be people on here complaining about "I want a cool butt, but I don't want all this air blowing up at me" and "I want to share my farts with others, not have them blown back into my face!" :ROFLMAO:

jimk hunt

Reaction score
The passenger being somewhat cooler would make sense since vent air on these trucks is noticeably cooler on that side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/