5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vent mode

Nightowl

Reaction score
2020 1500 Big Horn, auto climate. Is it possible to have a “vent mode”, just outside air blowing through without heat or ac?

1999&2020 RAM

Reaction score
This is my question too. The AC button (and light) is off but often time the AC clearly comes on (no light in the middle of the AC button). How to get the vent and only vent is a mystery to me.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think there is. When I turn my climate system off it even enables recirc (I know because I have a massive wind noise when recirc is on).
I think windows are the only option for outside air.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turn off recirc and AC and you have vents.

Now, the temp still works based on if you have the temp set warmer than outside, you will get warm air. That's the same way the vent worked on the old slider system, but this being digital shows a number and not red or blue on a slider switch.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Turn off recirc and AC and you have vents.

Now, the temp still works based on if you have the temp set warmer than outside, you will get warm air. That's the same way the vent worked on the old slider system, but this being digital shows a number and not red or blue on a slider switch.
That's not completely true.
If it's 50 degrees outside you can't get the air to vent it, the air will be heated even with recirc and AC turned off.

Nightowl

Reaction score
I think I figured it out. If I turn A/C off and turn the temp down below outside temp, outside air is blown thru the vents without cooling.

Svt40

Reaction score
I had the same question a week ago. Seems this truck has no true vent option without it conditioning the incoming air in some way unless you temp match it in the settings.

ws6guy

Reaction score
I don't think there is. When I turn my climate system off it even enables recirc (I know because I have a massive wind noise when recirc is on).
I think windows are the only option for outside air.
I don't have the noise but I did notice that once the system is turned off there's no air coming through the vents at all. So it must go into recirc mode.

So basically it seems the only way to get fresh air is to have the A/C off and the temp setting below the outside temp. But I guess this means also the fan will be on too. I'm used to my previous truck where everything would be off including the fan and there was still a good bit of air coming through the vents.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't have the noise but I did notice that once the system is turned off there's no air coming through the vents at all. So it must go into recirc mode.

So basically it seems the only way to get fresh air is to have the A/C off and the temp setting below the outside temp. But I guess this means also the fan will be on too. I'm used to my previous truck where everything would be off including the fan and there was still a good bit of air coming through the vents.
Yep.

My old truck could close the vents
When the hvac system was off I could have recirc on with no airflow, or turn off recirc and get natural air coming in through the outside vent. It also was a dual climate system so didn't have the old knobs.
It's not a huge deal for me, I guess just a weird trait.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not completely true.
If it's 50 degrees outside you can't get the air to vent it, the air will be heated even with recirc and AC turned off.

If you set the temp to 64 and it's 70 out, it doesn't cool the air, it allows the outside air to come in at ambient. If it's 50 out and you have the vent at its lowest setting, which is 64, I believe that it will heat the outside air to 64. But, then why not have the windows cracked at that point?

Just like the old systems, you still have a fan speed for the vents. If you have the fans off, you won't get any air. Every older car I had, had fan setting for off, low, mid, high. How is this any different, except you have more fan speeds?

1999&2020 RAM

Reaction score
The AC will turn on sometimes without indication as to why. 68 outside, temp set at 68, AC will obviously start running and discharge cold air into cabin. Maybe after an hour? I have not timed it to determine why and when. But what I want is the AC to stay off unless I turn it on. I would rather set the temp to low (no AC) and that will get vent but the silly AC will automatically come on (no indicator light) but is obviously running.

Users who are viewing this thread