5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vehicle Health Report

DTN

Reaction score
So I only have 5K miles on my 2021 truck and the Vehicle Health Report says Oil Life Remaining 47% so no maintenance required. But I bought my truck over a year ago so should the Vehicle Health Report say I need to change my oil?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Change it after 1 year regardless what the Oil Life Monitor says. Think it says that in the owners manual.

5k miles over one year? Heck I’ve got 6k in a little more than 2 months.😲

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So I only have 5K miles on my 2021 truck and the Vehicle Health Report says Oil Life Remaining 47% so no maintenance required. But I bought my truck over a year ago so should the Vehicle Health Report say I need to change my oil?

As mentioned by Dewey, the manual specifically states you shouldn't go beyond 1 year or 10,000 miles (whichever comes first) regardless of what the maintenance computer states.

Otherwise, it could be an excuse to void your 5yr/60K powertrain warranty.

DTN

Reaction score
I am going to change my oil because its been a year but that's not my question. My question is should the Vehicle Health Report and the in-vehicle oil change indicator system include the 1 year criteria to alert the owner to change the oil.
Below is from my manual and it shows that the oil change indicator system is intelligent enough to alert on more than just mileage so why not on age of oil in your engine?

Manual Oil Change.JPG

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I am going to change my oil because its been a year but that's not my question. My question is should the Vehicle Health Report and the in-vehicle oil change indicator system include the 1 year criteria to alert the owner to change the oil.
Below is from my manual and it shows that the oil change indicator system is intelligent enough to alert on more than just mileage so why not on age of oil in your engine?

View attachment 137793

I can only guess they decided not to program a 1-year countdown, regardless of the other variables, which they easily could have done.

But I think since the computer can't determine what quality of motor oil you use, they decided to put the 1-year "regardless of mileage" warning on there to be conservative.

In reality, with high quality synthetics and low miles (and assuming you do full heat cycles every time you drive), you probably can easily go 2 years or more.

Dewey

Reaction score
Crude oil was in the ground for over 200 million years. 😆

Doubt it will hurt your motor if it’s in longer than a year with very low miles driven. New synthetics are supposedly even better.

DTN

Reaction score
Then you have Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil that makes this claim ...

oil.JPG

Last edited:

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Then you have Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil that makes this claim ...

View attachment 137820
This is not saying that the oil lasts for this long it is referring to that it can protect the engine up to those stated miles if it is changed regularly. I wouldn't trust even the best oils past 7500 miles max with these hemi engines and I've only been using PUP or Amsoil Signature Series.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So to be clear, states 15 years or 500K miles if you use it exclusively based on owners manual recommended oil change interval.

But what does the guarantee mean?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I think the oil life monitor should indicate the year thing but it doesn't. I change mine when the oil life monitor says its time which have never been over 7k miles anyway. With today's modern oils you can basically change it when you feel comfortable in doing so.

netshadoe

Reaction score
With the lifter issues on these HEMIs, I change every 5000mi/8000km regardless of what the oil monitor says. Oil changes are relatively cheap compared to lifter replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread