5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vehicle buy back.

Amazing93

Reaction score
So I bought my daughter a 2014 VW Beetle with the TDI engine. Part of "Diesel Gate". I have needed a new fuel tank for 15 months due to some evaporative emissions valves that failed inside the tank. They stay closed. When I try to fill the tank the pump thinks the tank is full due to pressure inside and it clicks off. Takes forever to fill the tank. Well there are 0 tanks available world wide. There haven't been any available. I contacted the dealer all they could tell me is to wait. I tried contacting WV directly and get the same. So after over a year I contacted the state attorney General and they took my case and contacted vw on my behalf. VW emailed me today offering to buy back the car. I don't think they intend on ever making that tank and want to be done with diesels I'm the us. My concern is that I only have 49k miles on it. I bought it with 18k in 2021 for like 14,000 bucks. It gets 38 mpg and it's a good car for my daughter. I dunno how much they want to give me yet but maybe what I paid because they want my original purchase agreement. Now I'm torn cause what would I buy in 2024 that would be as good as what this is. Price wise and milage wise. But am I sitting on a ticking time bomb if parts aren't gonna be available? Can I negotiate a price for the buyback if I feel their initial offer is too low or is it like a take it or leave it deal? What do you all think? Sorry for the long post.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Suggest they might get stuck paying your legal fees as well and try to squeeze a little extra out of them. But take the money and run. It won't just be parts, it will be experienced, qualified technicians that won't exist if they're getting out of diesels. My two cents.

Amazing93

Reaction score
I thought that at first too, but then I noticed it’s posted in the Off Topic Forum which is fitting. Plus many of us have other vehicles or situations that’s the 5thGenRam family may be able to help us with.
Exactly. Thank you

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I would probably be tempted to take the buyback depending on the $ amount. i’d be worried more about the after support as you somewhat experienced already new repair parts not being available etc if something was to go around. Yeah there’s aftermarket/junkyard sourcing for parts etc but that could be a journey in itself if you need something right away. Maybe a Prius?

Amazing93

Reaction score
Yeah I would probably be tempted to take the buyback depending on the $ amount. i’d be worried more about the after support as you somewhat experienced already new repair parts not being available etc if something was to go around. Yeah there’s aftermarket/junkyard sourcing for parts etc but that could be a journey in itself if you need something right away. Maybe a Prius?
A prius may be a good idea. I'll look at autotrader and see what's out there.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If they want to give you close to what you paid, I’d say take it. You’ll never see any like that again, and you would only be keeping a headache if you keep the car

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/