5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vararam or S&B? I can't decide.

mac1983620

Reaction score
These are the two I'm narrowed down to. So driving in the country on dusty roads does happen, but not like every day. I've seen some stuff about Vararam not doing a good job and sealing well, plus cheap build quality, and there's no way to block it if going on dusty roads. S&B has a great reputation and seems better in this situation, but not the performance of a true ram air. I also prefer to stay away from oiled filters. Given all this, what should I go with? I'm really torn right now. I've personally never owned either.

j517

Reaction score
S&b had it on my f250 on my 1500 and waiting for them to come out with 1 for the 2500

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
What state are u in

mac1983620

Reaction score
What state are u in

Kansas, so I really have no worries as far as modifications. I could never live in a place like California where they restrict everything.

j517

Reaction score
Kansas, so I really have no worries as far as modifications. I could never live in a place like California where they restrict everything.
Lol u are so correct I had an s& b in my truck 1500 but had a carb sticker for another truck.

Stil have my CAI I should list it for sale

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the MOPAR RAMAIRFLOW. If I was going to do one today (that is available); it would be the Vararam. I haven't heard any real complaints about the Vararam and it just looks really cool. Whatever I do finally get, I can assure you that it will not be an oiled filter....that's not for me.

popcenator

Reaction score
The Vararam is oiled. It works very well and you can really hear the 5.7 growl. I took it off for the time being until I get the truck looked at by the dealership, then it'll probably go back on. I can definitely tell the difference now that I'm back to stock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Vararam is oiled. It works very well and you can really hear the 5.7 growl. I took it off for the time being until I get the truck looked at by the dealership, then it'll probably go back on. I can definitely tell the difference now that I'm back to stock.

Interesting, I wasn't aware the Vararam was oiled; that may change my plan. Do they have a dry filter option?

popcenator

Reaction score
Interesting, I wasn't aware the Vararam was oiled; that may change my plan. Do they have a dry filter option?
I don't believe so, but they sell a pre-filter cover that may allow to run it with less oil.

mac1983620

Reaction score
Yeah I do not want an oiled filter either. Those oil particles do get taken into the motor, plus cleaning and re-oiling is a pain to do it right. Plus they are worse for country roads because they don't trap as much as a dry filter. That's a concern with Vararam, as well as their build quality. S&B has a dry filter option, excellent build quality, and excellent reputation. Only thing holding me up is the performance side, and if it's worth it to get the Vararam over S&B just for that, when S&B is much better in all other aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online