5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vararam Intake

Reaction score
Well I did it, I got the Vararam intake. I was debating between the Vararam and S&B but I was more leaning towards the old school look of the Vararam. I had given up on the attempt to get an intake right sway from Vararam because of the price by the time it gets to Canada (like $650cdn / 500usd). Well I just happened to see one on a Facebook Ram group I'm part from from Canada? $300 cdn I couldn't pass on it. Only about 1.5years old and in great shape.

Only issues is I have thrown so many codes and missing features on my radio (no backup camera, dash cam not working, heated/cooled seats passenger side not working etc..) but I hear this is common with the battery disconnect. So I'm gonna give it a few days in hopes it will correct itself.

As for the intake I love the look. I may get some blue paint to have it match the truck. I'm still undecided. I haven't installed the plastic cover as I don't want to cut it so I'm going to put some spacers between the Vararam and the cover to lift it up like some other members have done.

Also, just for others. This is off a 4th generation truck but is the exact same as the 5th generation model and works exactly the same. I think the only difference between the 2 model #s is instructions.

I've attached a copy of the codes I'm throwing as well as the intake.

Attachments

• 20201108_192358.jpg
    20201108_192358.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 20201109_125334.jpg
    20201109_125334.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 20201109_125338.jpg
    20201109_125338.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_20201109-134315_BlueDriver.jpg
    Screenshot_20201109-134315_BlueDriver.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Screenshot_20201109-134319_BlueDriver.jpg
    Screenshot_20201109-134319_BlueDriver.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 187
Reaction score
What do you guys and gals think..... Paint the cover blue to match the truck (a close to the pearl blue as possible from a spray can) or leave it black??

I am debating if blue would look nicer or not...

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My vote is to leave it black, as I like parts under the hood to look like they are factory-ish.

If you're going for a show truck type look, then I would do a lot of different parts in blue, not just the intake. But to each their own; if it makes you happy, do it.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Error codes are not common with battery disconnect. I completely disconnected my battery when installing my throttle controller...never had any error codes. Hopefully it's not the intake itself that's causing them. Side note though...I originally settled on a S&B for my Ram but ended up with my throttle controller instead and will just remove my carbon filter come summer time. I like the idea of the Vararam but wouldn't make sense when I live in a desert.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All those codes aren’t normal. Also you need to make sure the intake air temp sensor is installed and plugged into the vararam coupling.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What do you guys and gals think..... Paint the cover blue to match the truck (a close to the pearl blue as possible from a spray can) or leave it black??

I am debating if blue would look nicer or not...
I think the blue would look very custom

Reaction score
All those codes aren’t normal. Also you need to make sure the intake air temp sensor is installed and plugged into the vararam coupling.

It's funny you say that, I installed and removed the unit a few times during fitment... Somehow I forgot to plug the air temp sensor when it was the final install (I had plugged it in a few times before that). I just plugged it in today before leaving for work, so I am going to give it a day or 2 to see if some of the lights shut down.

Reaction score
Error codes are not common with battery disconnect. I completely disconnected my battery when installing my throttle controller...never had any error codes. Hopefully it's not the intake itself that's causing them. Side note though...I originally settled on a S&B for my Ram but ended up with my throttle controller instead and will just remove my carbon filter come summer time. I like the idea of the Vararam but wouldn't make sense when I live in a desert.

I generally would agree that error codes should not come up or be common when doing battery disconnect. But I did do a quick search on the forums about light error codes and battery disconnects. There were a few and responses were varied. Some people said it took a few ignition cycles to clear and some say a few hundred miles. I also did read people having the same issues I had with losing the backup camera, seat heat/cool features and other radio features missing.

My truck has since regained all the lost options like my seat is working now, my backup camera is fine and all my radio features that were missing are back.

The engine lights on the other hand are still present. Now I did forget my air temp sensor which I just plugged in today. So hopefully it clears.

The engine light errors like

Central Gateway Codes
-Lost communication with humidity/temperature sensor: no sub type information
-Lost communication with light rain sensing module: no sub type information
-Center stop lamp control circuit: Circuit short to battery or open

Parktronics
-Vehicle Line Mismatch: No sub type information

Not sure what the deal is, if they don't clear by the end of the week I will be booking a dealer visit. These shouldn't happen just because I unplugged the battery. The only thing is I had a few sparks when putting the negative cable back on battery, could that of caused it?

Reaction score
My vote is to leave it black, as I like parts under the hood to look like they are factory-ish.

If you're going for a show truck type look, then I would do a lot of different parts in blue, not just the intake. But to each their own; if it makes you happy, do it.

I think the blue would look very custom

+1 vote black and +1 vote blue..... haha

I am thinking more for contrast in the engine bay as everything is black pretty much. Not a show truck so not something you would see all the time. Just something that you set it off and draw your attention to it even more.

I may just go with blue (I can get pearl blue paint from local parts store, it's the Honda pearl blues but they will be close enough) and if I don't like it I can just paint it black again haha..

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I may just go with blue (I can get pearl blue paint from local parts store, it's the Honda pearl blues but they will be close enough) and if I don't like it I can just paint it black again haha..

If you use Honda paint, it will burst into fire the first time you run the truck after its painted. ;)

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I just so happen to have a Vararam intake I pulled from my 14 before I traded her in.. decisions decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Well in case anyone is interested. I got it all painted up with MOPAR paint I might add Haha. I decided to just get spray can from the Dealer which I didn’t know they carried. A little more money for wha you get, I paid $20 and the can is smaller then what I would have gotten at the parts store in Honda paInt. But it’s worth it for the exact match.

Anyhow 3 coats primer, 4 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear coat and wet sanding between steps. I think it turned out not bad I am pretty happy with the end result.

E5FC8B23-FB45-4E1F-BF6C-84640334A23B.png

3F64F3CF-82EF-4C2C-A96E-8305C88FFFB6.png 38E88CCD-0399-459F-A276-F059163C400D.jpeg 28E64E7C-DC53-4AD1-8FCF-028C7292FF14.png 7204AA13-42BE-4FBE-8CAC-AEACEEB2BD16.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have one as well. I went with the orang elid for more of the old school look, as that is what drew me to liking the vararam in the first place. Will also be ordering a HEMI decal for it like the 71 426 Hemi kids had, but will have it say 5.7L instead of 426. As for codes, I didn't get any, and you may have the clear the temp sensor code yourself. Even if the PCM turns off the CEL eventually, it will still be a stored code the dealer will see if you take it in for service. I chose to cut my radiator cover and left the Ram in center. Then used a piece of unistrut to hold it up while I hit it with a heat gun. No need for spacers PXL_20201116_232310205.jpg

Kam.Bc

Reaction score
Well in case anyone is interested. I got it all painted up with MOPAR paint I might add Haha. I decided to just get spray can from the Dealer which I didn’t know they carried. A little more money for wha you get, I paid $20 and the can is smaller then what I would have gotten at the parts store in Honda paInt. But it’s worth it for the exact match.

Anyhow 3 coats primer, 4 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear coat and wet sanding between steps. I think it turned out not bad I am pretty happy with the end result.

View attachment 74549

View attachment 74550 View attachment 74551 View attachment 74552 View attachment 74553
So 4th gen CAI can fits 5th gen?

bocco

Reaction score
So far no actual mention of performance gains? Anything noticeable? This is an old thread so maybe we have more installs now.

Users who are viewing this thread