5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valvoline 75W-90 full synthetic differential oil

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ok, I know there are threads on this, but not very specific answers on the use of this with front differential when Ram calls for.

1st question, 75W-85 is what Ram calls for in front but Valvoline does not have that, does anyone here use the 75W-90 in their front diff regularly?

2nd question, Valvoline already has an additive for the limited slip diff's, has any that uses Vavoline 75W-90 full synthetic had any issues without adding the additive.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I know there are threads on this, but not very specific answers on the use of this with front differential when Ram calls for.

1st question, 75W-85 is what Ram calls for in front but Valvoline does not have that, does anyone here use the 75W-90 in their front diff regularly?

2nd question, Valvoline already has an additive for the limited slip diff's, has any that uses Vavoline 75W-90 full synthetic had any issues without adding the additive.
I can't answer your questions, but was just wondering why you're going with Valvoline as a brand, if they don't have a product that meets the specification for your truck.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I've always used Valvoline products and love the brand and are readily available, also it costs less. I'd like to use Valvoline 20W-50 oil that I've always used in my gas engines, but I guess with the new engines, manufactures call for light weight oil. I'm told that some auto manufactures have a DTC for the viscosity, if to far out of spec and they use 0W-20 wt oil. o_O

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've always used Valvoline products and love the brand and are readily available, also it costs less. I'd like to use Valvoline 20W-50 oil that I've always used in my gas engines, but I guess with the new engines, manufactures call for light weight oil. I'm told that some auto manufactures have a DTC for the viscosity, if to far out of spec and they use 0W-20 wt oil. o_O
Not busting your chops...I just can't help but make this comparison as something similar:
Your pregnant wife sends you to Chipotle for a burrito with steak. But you like Taco Bell better, and it's cheaper. You go to Taco Bell, and they don't have steak. So you ask the forum if a ground beef burrito would be ok.
Not many people have lived long enough to tell whether that was ok or not...

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I liked the video.

Not busting your chops...I just can't help but make this comparison as something similar:
Your pregnant wife sends you to Chipotle for a burrito with steak. But you like Taco Bell better, and it's cheaper. You go to Taco Bell, and they don't have steak. So you ask the forum if a ground beef burrito would be ok.
Not many people have lived long enough to tell whether that was ok or not...

OK, so I go to Chipotle anyway, because when I get home I want a quiet evening with the wife. ;)

Big difference in food vrs oil, the comparison doesn't compute. Oil is the same, as they all meet the OE specs. So If Valvoline made a 75W-85 diff oil, it would be the same specs within the industry standards for others at that weight. I'm asking if anyone bought the Taco Bell when Chipotle was called for and did they have any issues. Then there is the additive question, Vavoline has the additive per there specs, I also called them and they said that the additive is not needed. But has the real use in the field been?

Again the question is, has there been any issues using the Valvoline with the additive already in the oil vrs having to buy the additive anyway?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I liked the video.

OK, so I go to Chipotle anyway, because when I get home I want a quiet evening with the wife. ;)

Big difference in food vrs oil, the comparison doesn't compute. Oil is the same, as they all meet the OE specs. So If Valvoline made a 75W-85 diff oil, it would be the same specs within the industry standards for others at that weight. I'm asking if anyone bought the Taco Bell when Chipotle was called for and did they have any issues. Then there is the additive question, Vavoline has the additive per there specs, I also called them and they said that the additive is not needed. But has the real use in the field been?

Again the question is, has there been any issues using the Valvoline with the additive already in the oil vrs having to buy the additive anyway?
I have seen issues before, someone said they used lube that supposedly had the additive, but had issues. As for me, I would still add the Mopar stuff.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
You have to use the additive for the rear. What is included in the good name brands (Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc) supposedly isn't enough. They all recommend adding in the Mopar additive.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I have seen issues before, someone said they used lube that supposedly had the additive, but had issues. As for me, I would still add the Mopar stuff.

You have to use the additive for the rear. What is included in the good name brands (Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc) supposedly isn't enough. They all recommend adding in the Mopar additive.

I thought about it, but the OE additive is not cheap, and if its not needed, then it would sure help in the costs of this service.

Would you use the 75W-90 in the front diff instead of the 75W-85 it calls for?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I thought about it, but the OE additive is not cheap, and if its not needed, then it would sure help in the costs of this service.

The additive is cheaper than the damage from not using it. You can try without it, and see how it reacts turning corners. I would use specified weights. They don't specify different just to make you buy 2 kinds.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've used the 75W90 as many others have also in Mopar vehicles calling for 75W85. No issues. Many Wrangler owners don't even use recommended and go higher. I even used Mobil 1 with the friction modifier and not added any extra in my Rubicon as many others, with no issues.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score

Yeah definitely don't do that. Add the slip additive. There are tons of stories out there of guys not putting the additive in, taking the truck out of the garage, and as soon as the hit the first corner it's wheel hopping, chirping, etc.

So definitely do as everyone is saying. Don't skimp on the $10-$20 Mopar limited slip.

And yes, the 90 in the front vs the 85 recommended is perfectly fine.

Reactions: c3k

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Makes sense, but then I would use ATF in my G56 and transfer case with that thought. My G56 and the transfer case behind it, I changed it out to Mobil Delvac 50wt synthetic transmission fluid and it worked well. I know that a lot of owners go over the recommended weight, but were only talking about 5wt over, not 40wt and more.

Some genius came up with a heavy nasty smelling gear oil for the G56 and called Gorilla Juice, a lot of owners immediately dumped it within the first 100 miles.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I would use specified weights. They don't specify different just to make you buy 2 kinds.

If you're talking about the difference between the 85 vs 90 its probably not even perceivable. 90 tends to be synthetic (Amsoil, Redline, etc). I used Amsoil for my 19' Rebel. No issues at all with the front diff.

85 tends to be dino-oil or OEM specific. Some people think it is literally just a money grab.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Makes sense, but then I would use ATF in my G56 and transfer case with that thought. My G56 and the transfer case behind it, I changed it out to Mobil Delvac 50wt synthetic transmission fluid and it worked well. I know that a lot of owners go over the recommended weight, but were only talking about 5wt over, not 40wt and more.

Some genius came up with a heavy nasty smelling gear oil for the G56 and called Gorilla Juice, a lot of owners immediately dumped it within the first 100 miles.

I am going to save you a lot of hassle here:

Engine oil: Correct weight of a good oil, OEM or aftermarket is fine.
Front diff: Correct weight of a good oil, OEM or aftermarket is fine. (The 90 synthetic is OK here instead of the 85)
Rear diff: Correct weight of a good oil, OEM or aftermarket is fine. If it calls for limited slip, add the Mopar additive.
T-Case: OEM only. No one knows the true make/weight/composition of the Mopar fluid.
Trans: OEM only or ZF fluid (maker of the trans).

That takes care of all your oils. Engine and diffs...Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc...all good oils. I use Amsoil in everything except for stuff that calls specifically for OEM.

The t-case and trans are where you really need to use what they tell you.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Went down to dealer for the transfer case fluid, what a rip off $44.00 a quart. Mopar # 68049954AC

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You dont have to buy the Mopar specific friction modifier for the diff, you just need to add more than what is already in the diff fluid that says it already has some in it. The GM friction modifier is a lot cheaper and works just as well. Front diff does not need any, but using fluid that has in it in won't hurt anything

As others have said the diff will never know the difference between an w85 or a w90.

Personally, I like Lucas Oil diff fluid. That's all I will use in my Dakota. But just did a diff fluid change on step sons truck and used Valvoline. I really like the bags Valvoline uses. Makes filling the diff so much easier. But only reason we got Valvoline was because there wasn't any Lucas Oil stuff in the shelf when we went shopping.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use BG synthetic fluids in all diffs, t-case and transmission. Zero issues with their fluids. My dad's truck 4th gen with over 200k miles has run this fluid(I service it for him), never had a problem.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I decided to stop at a Valvoline Oil Service Center and asked what gear lube that they use for the front diffs on our trucks, they said they use the 75W-90.

Users who are viewing this thread