5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vacation troubles

Happy

Reaction score
Taking the family on a vacation trip. Halfway through the drive the truck (2020 1500 5.7L) starts shaking like a tire is flat. As we exit the freeway, the engine shuts off and would not restart. It would crank over, but never start. Got towed to a nearby dealer, but no mechanics until Monday at earliest.

So my question is this…has anyone else experienced this issue? My review of things has indicated a ton of possibilities from spark plugs to whole engine failure.

We left the truck with the dealer and rented a car to continue our journey. Planning(praying) it can be fixed by the time we pass back through later this week.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally haven’t experienced the issue but I always keep my FIXD OBD scanner with me in both my vehicles so I can quickly read codes and possibly clear them if possible.

Fingers crossed it’s resolved for you and the fam. On your return back, Safe travels.

(I’ve had this device for 4 years and has not disappointed once)

Happy

Reaction score
I personally haven’t experienced the issue but I always keep my FIXD OBD scanner with me in both my vehicles so I can quickly read codes and possibly clear them if possible.

Fingers crossed it’s resolved for you and the fam. On your return back, Safe travels.

I actually have one also, but left it at home. Never thought about it for this trip. Lesson learned though.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for this link...looks like they are selling these for only $20 right now

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Taking the family on a vacation trip. Halfway through the drive the truck (2020 1500 5.7L) starts shaking like a tire is flat. As we exit the freeway, the engine shuts off and would not restart. It would crank over, but never start. Got towed to a nearby dealer, but no mechanics until Monday at earliest.

So my question is this…has anyone else experienced this issue? My review of things has indicated a ton of possibilities from spark plugs to whole engine failure.

We left the truck with the dealer and rented a car to continue our journey. Planning(praying) it can be fixed by the time we pass back through later this week.
do you have the e-torque?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My truck is giving me issues on my trip currently but thankfully when it cuts off I can crank it right back up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Could be ma y different things. I'd lean towards fuel pump.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sucks man, tryn to enjoy your vac w family and this crap happens, gotta be in the back of your mind the whole time while you continue on..sucks..try and make the most of family time
man..keep us posted

BowDown

Reaction score
Could be a number of things from fuel to spark or mechanical.
Broken valve spring, cam or crank position sensor or reluctor ring coming off the crank would cause all that

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You said it was vibrating/shaking before dying. But what about noises? Did it make any loud noises?

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that! Just curious how many miles on it?
I had something similar on a trip, engine started shaking a little and down on power (with my Hemi). Code reader showed misfire on 2 cylinders. Turned out to be bad coil on one and a stuck injector on the other. Picked up a coil at Napa and installed. Started the truck and tapped on the cylinder with the stuck injector with a 4" crescent wrench and it freed up. Put in injector cleaner and never had a problem after that.
Now I drive a EcoDiesel...
Tom

Happy

Reaction score
S
You said it was vibrating/shaking before dying. But what about noises? Did it make any loud noises?
Shaking was fairly rough. And did that before it died. No loud noises at all.

Happy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that! Just curious how many miles on it?
I had something similar on a trip, engine started shaking a little and down on power (with my Hemi). Code reader showed misfire on 2 cylinders. Turned out to be bad coil on one and a stuck injector on the other. Picked up a coil at Napa and installed. Started the truck and tapped on the cylinder with the stuck injector with a 4" crescent wrench and it freed up. Put in injector cleaner and never had a problem after that.
Now I drive a EcoDiesel...
Tom
17000 miles. Not much at all. Bought it new April 2020.
I’m hoping it’s something like that. Just very frustrating. Trying to figure out if this is a design/engineering issue or just a one off.

Last edited:

Happy

Reaction score
Could be a number of things from fuel to spark or mechanical.
Broken valve spring, cam or crank position sensor or reluctor ring coming off the crank would cause all that
Thanks for the detail.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I’m hoping it’s something like that. Just very frustrating. Trying to figure out if this is a design/engineering issue or just a one off.
I would have to say that with millions of these on the road for years now and tens of cases just like yours that the design is fine. Chances of this happening are probably less than the rounding error of the rounding error.

Happy

Reaction score
I would have to say that with millions of these on the road for years now and tens of cases just like yours that the design is fine. Chances of this happening are probably less than the rounding error of the rounding error.
I agree. Not really finding anything on the web that matches my issue specifically. Time will tell. Waiting game with the mechanic now.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I don't suppose there's anywhere close where you could buy a cheap code reader? Or borrow one from a parts store.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread