5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V6 on the new Ram

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, my last two Rams have had the 3.21 gears. Both have gotten 21-22 on all highway. My 2019 is an etorque and I get 16 in stop and go traffic to work, my non etorque got 13 on stop and go.

yifa

Reaction score
What is everyone’s thoughts on the V6 engine in the Ram 1500? Those who have it how is it? Reason I ask is the dealer has a Big Horn Night Edition I’m interested in but it has the V6. Cannot test drive it yet because it’s still in ship mode. Thanks everyone.
If you drive a lot don’t tow anything get the v6 . My sticker said I will get 19 mpg but I only getting 12-13 mpg with the v8 etorque

Attachments

• C463087E-9BB2-45D1-8C69-1446D6AE4FE2.jpeg
    C463087E-9BB2-45D1-8C69-1446D6AE4FE2.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 3BB326BC-C9C3-4E9B-8479-86D53B9C5448.jpeg
    3BB326BC-C9C3-4E9B-8479-86D53B9C5448.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 19
  • B555138A-3A6D-4FAB-9D8C-133E8B4A3E51.jpeg
    B555138A-3A6D-4FAB-9D8C-133E8B4A3E51.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 19

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you drive a lot don’t tow anything get the v6 . My sticker said I will get 19 mpg but I only getting 12-13 mpg with the v8 etorque
Thats in Rebel trim, different animal all together. My eco boost Raptor got the exact same mileage city, maybe 17 highway.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had driven a V6 Laramie 3.55’s and a straight hemi 3.21 Ltd back to back over the same route before I decided on the hemi.
First, although I prize good mileage, I’ve mostly driven vehicles that can’t get out of their own way and was tired of it.
Second, I wasn’t sure that a small 3-4K trailer wasn’t out of the picture.
Third, I didn’t like all the downshifting every time I wanted to merge or pass or whatever.
Lastly, it had the ET and at the time I didn’t trust that technology.

Now I do trust that ET is ok but the other reasons haven't changed, and especially in a Ltd, I didn’t want to be “that guy” when resale time comes.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I've got about 14k miles on my '19 V6 Longhorn, you can see the truck details and cumulative mpg in my sig.

Where I live it's hilly and the engine has to work pretty hard to get it up and moving at speed around here, though once it's up to speed it's fine. Just got back from our ~1200 mile Christmas road trip (VA > NY > OH > VA) and averaged 19-20 on the highway at sustained speeds of 70-75 for the majority of the trip carrying about 550-600 lbs of cargo including people and junk in the bed.

Overall, I think the V6 works pretty well, it's just a bit overmatched for the sheer heft of my truck. I think if you're looking at a lighter trim, say a Big Horn or moderately optioned Laramie, it would work quite well. When my lease is up in fall 2021, I'll be looking at the diesel and the hypothetical I6 if it exists and is out by then.

silver billet

Reaction score

Your sticker is wrong. Read a little further up, you're in a rebel with a 3.92 and beefy all terrain tires. RAM is dishonest with the MPG ratings as they don't rate your Rebel any differently than a light work truck with a 3.21.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Your sticker is wrong. Read a little further up, you're in a rebel with a 3.92 and beefy all terrain tires. RAM is dishonest with the MPG ratings as they don't rate your Rebel any differently than a light work truck with a 3.21.
All makers do the same thing. Usually they have a disclaimer that the mpg is based on a particular trim. What are they supposed to do, show every possible trim, cab, bed and engine combination?
People aren’t thinking right if they think that the estimate applies to anything except a base tradesman.
What! My Trackhawk grand cherokee wont get the same mpg’s as a 2x Pentstar? Shameful!

From “Howstuffworks.com”:
“The EPA doesn't just drive the vehicle to determine how many miles per gallon it gets. Each new car and truck is tested on what's called a dynamometer, which is like a large treadmill. While the engine and transmission drive the wheels, the vehicle never actually moves -- just the rollers upon which the wheels are placed. A professional driver runs the vehicle through two standardized driving schedules, one each to simulate city and highway driving conditions, and ensures he or she is maintaining the mandated pace via a real-time computer display.
The "city" program is designed to replicate an urban rush-hour driving experience in which the vehicle is started with the engine cold and is driven in stop-and-go traffic with frequent idling. The car or truck is driven for 11 miles and makes 23 stops over the course of 31 minutes, with an average speed of 20 mph and a top speed of 56 mph.
The "highway" program, on the other hand, is created to emulate rural and interstate freeway driving with a warmed-up engine, making no stops (both of which ensure maximum fuel economy). The vehicle is driven for 10 miles over a period of 12.5 minutes with an average speed of 48 mph and a top speed of 60 mph. Both fuel economy tests are performed with the vehicle's air conditioning and other accessories turned off.”
End of copied article

Oh yeah, that EPA mileage test is real world. How many of us drive between 48 and 60 in the summer with AC off?

Last edited by a moderator:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
All makers do the same thing.

True, but this is where I give a little bit of credit to GM with their new trucks. For their Trail Boss Silverados, which is a similar thing to the Rebel, which has larger A/T tires, higher ride height and axle ratio. The EPA allows you an exception to the official mpg figures with different trims, GM lowered the mpg of the Trail Boss specifically because it will obviously going to get worse mpg due to its trim package.

FCA has given the Rebel the same mpg as a 3.21 axle truck with street tires. Now as someone who has owned trucks with 33' tires and high axle ratios, I know what to expect. But for someone who doesn't know, and there are a lot of first time truck owners with this new generation of RAM, seeing a 15 city/ 22 hwy window sticker and then getting 11 city/17 hwy is going to disappoint them.

I should be getting 17 mpg combined but I'm barely getting 13 mpg combined. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and the mpg doesn't bother me because it's a small trade off, but I wished RAM was a little more forthcoming on the window sticker to some folks who are probably new to truck ownership or don't yet understand tire size/axle ratio affects on mpg.

Last edited:

DraKhen99

Reaction score
True, but this is where I give a little bit of credit to GM with their new trucks. For their Trail Boss Silverados, which is a similar thing to the Rebel, which has larger A/T tires, higher ride height and axle ratio. The EPA allows you an exception to the official mpg figures with different trims, GM lowered the mpg of the Trail Boss specifically because it will obviously going to get worse mpg due to its trim package.

FCA has given the Rebel the same mpg as a 3.21 axle truck with street tires. Now as someone who has owned trucks with 33' tires and high axle ratios, I know what to expect. But for someone who doesn't know, and there are a lot of first time truck owners with this new generation of RAM, seeing a 15 city/ 22 hwy window sticker and then getting 11 city/17 hwy is going to disappoint them.

I should be getting 17 mpg combined but I'm barely getting 13 mpg combined. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and the mpg doesn't bother me because it's a small trade off, but I wished RAM was a little more forthcoming on the window sticker to some folks who are probably new to truck ownership or don't yet understand tire size/axle ratio affects on mpg.

Yep, all of this! I truly wish the truck manufacturers would test each basic setup:

Cab
Bed
Engine
Drivetrain (4x2 vs 4x4)

Sure, this means more work, but just like J2807 was first adopted by Toyota and THEN the other makes, it makes for more of an apples-to-apples comparison. How many reviews have you watched or read where one truck won over another and you just wondered, "I wonder which axle ratio that truck has?" If the makers really wanted to be truthful, they could add Trim Level to the above list of configurations to test. We all know that a Tradesman Crew Cab w/HEMI + eTorque + 4x4 is going to get better fuel economy than a Limited Crew Cab w/HEMI + eTorque + 4x4, why not allow shoppers to really do comparisons.

I get it, no make wants to be the first to do this, because it might hurt sales in the short term, but I really feel it would be beneficial in the long term.

-John

JustMe

Reaction score
I agree with your sentiments, but to be fair . . . we all know HOW it's NOT RAM that determines the MPG's . . . but RAM doesn't seem to have a problem using the "blanket findings" across all models, big & small . . . THIS I too find "Disturbing" .

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All truck companies want to sell trucks.....they will tell you many untrue things about their vehicles....you should not believe them....simple as that. BTW....I have a Tradesman model.....it does get the mpg on the sticker....sometimes better.

silver billet

Reaction score
I agree with your sentiments, but to be fair . . . we all know HOW it's NOT RAM that determines the MPG's . . . but RAM doesn't seem to have a problem using the "blanket findings" across all models, big & small . . . THIS I too find "Disturbing" .

The EPA allows manufacturers to submit their own data, they themselves don't test every specific measurement. TFL truck did a segment on that, due to this very same truck (v8 rebel with etorque getting far below the sticker).

And as a poster above you said, Chevy rates their trucks differently (trailboss). So however you feel about it, Chevy is being more honest with their truck ratings than Ram is.

yifa

Reaction score

Yes I’m first time owning a v8 truck I’m so disappointed because I’m only getting 12-13 mpg

Attachments

• EF08CEB5-4B5F-4C36-BC7E-C33BB69FD38A.jpeg
    EF08CEB5-4B5F-4C36-BC7E-C33BB69FD38A.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 10

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yes I’m first time owning a v8 truck I’m so disappointed because I’m only getting 12-13 mpg

It will improve slightly as your motor runs in more, after about 5,000 miles or so. If you change to more street oriented tires, you should get another 2-3 mpg overall better, but where is the fun in that :)

JustMe

Reaction score
The EPA allows manufacturers to submit their own data, they themselves don't test every specific measurement. TFL truck did a segment on that, due to this very same truck (v8 rebel with etorque getting far below the sticker).

And as a poster above you said, Chevy rates their trucks differently (trailboss). So however you feel about it, Chevy is being more honest with their truck ratings than Ram is.
I Know, & know, and no, I was not the "chevy poster," not familiar with what chevy or ford for that matter does or doesn't do, Specifically. Just slightly familiar with what FCA does to "accomplish" their "goals," other than like you, what I've read in articles or have been told in video Vlogs - not the best sources, by the way, but unless I care enough to delve full bore into "Conspiracy theories, ha" I'll take IT as the Real World Delivers it to me in MY Vehicle (of choice) when the time comes. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread