5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V6 driving impressions

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Test drive another Pentastar and see if it responds differently to rule out a problem with yours. The Pentastars are way down on low end torque (from the Hemi), but between the aggressive throttle mapping and the 8 speed transmission my 2019 shows no such symptoms. My other vehicle is a Corvette C7 so I know what adequate low end torque is.
As far as mileage, I average around 19 mpg hand calculated. My trip computer always reads 0.6 to 1.5 mpg more. From extensive research I believe this to be 3-5 mpg better than a Hemi would provide with my driving style on the hilly roads I travel. I'm satisfied with this as it is 2 mpg better than the 1st Gen Honda Ridgeline it replaced.

Thanks! I’m going to continue to drive and look forward to the break in and hope it continues to learn how I drive. I will also ask for updates to the TCM and PCM when I go in for my first oil change. The V6 is smooth and has plenty of power when you get on it. I think there’s something wrong with the early 2020 Ram Pentastars that can be fixed with a update based on TSBs I read. Hoping continued updates will refine the engine response and transmission shift behavior.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2014 outdoorsman that I ordered with the pentastar. At the time the truck was mostly a commuter and occasional hauling vehicle. I was extremely impressed with it and for that use it is a great option. I only have a Hemi now because I have a boat that is probably 5,500 to 6k lbs and camper that we pull on some long trips that is over 5k lbs loaded up so I wanted more torque. I haven’t driven a new model with the etorque but I imagine it’s even better than it was before.

My wife’s car is a 2015 grand Cherokee with the Pentastar and her Jeep feels like it accelerates faster than my truck does with the Hemi

Scrambler

Reaction score
I got the V6 only because I heard the 11 or 13 MPG Hemi horror stories in this forum. I have 15k on it and am averaging about 20 MPG.
I have no regrets coming from a 17 Silverado V8 in that the V6 does what I need it to do and I'm not shy about hammering it down to pass on the two lane roads.
As someone else mentioned, there is more downshifting from 8 down to 7 that occurs going up hills or under load, but it is fairly innocuous when it does happen..............its just different than the V8.

EtherRam

Reaction score
I got the V6 only because I heard the 11 or 13 MPG Hemi horror stories in this forum. I have 15k on it and am averaging about 20 MPG.
I have no regrets coming from a 17 Silverado V8 in that the V6 does what I need it to do and I'm not shy about hammering it down to pass on the two lane roads.
As someone else mentioned, there is more downshifting from 8 down to 7 that occurs going up hills or under load, but it is fairly innocuous when it does happen..............its just different than the V8.
After the TSB update on my V6 I have come to really like it. I average 21-22 mpg, it gets up and goes when it needs to, and it's an overall smooth ride. It also seems to drive smoother under load, and towing with it has been no problem.

Most of my Ram friends have the 5.7 and they are all in the 15-17 mpg range, so I'd say my V6 was a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread