5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V-8 Gas Mileage Better Than V-6

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2014 Ram 1500 with the V6. I put a ton of miles on it and when I used it for my daily 130 mile round trip commute (116 on the highway), I averaged 24-26 miles per gallon depending on time of year. It went down a bit as it got older and was about 22.5 when I retired it from daily commuting. During my last 2 years of ownership of that 2014 Ram, I mostly used it for local errands and for running the dog to the park or trail for extra exercise. I still was getting 20 mpg during that time.
I use my new 2022 Ram pretty much the way I used my 2014 during its last two years. But my mileage is very disappointing compared to the old truck. Granted, I only have 2,000 miles on the new one so far, so it is not a big sample-size yet, but I am only getting 17 mpg so far. I expected better.
But I still love the truck . . . . . . . and so does the dog.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you guys, that're getting upper teens to low 20s with 3.92 gears, also in a 2WD truck? I have driven from Orlando to Kentucky and back, and Orlando to Chattanooga and back and couldn't get over 18mpg at about 75mph. Now, I have a Rebel with the off road tires, 3.92 gears and it sits higher than a regular 1500. My around town mileage is about 14mpg.

Not me......I have a 4x4 and drive conservatively by some people's standard. I usually set cruise at 65 on highway.....most of my driving is two lane roads...we live rural......on these smaller roads I drive 50 to 55mph......I am retired...enjoying life and not in a hurry. I don't do a lot of around town driving like you mention......we have two local towns....one has two street lights....that's the big town....the other has none.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get this feeling that at least some of y'all are basing your statements on your mileage on the onboard computer readout. In which case, you should save your keystrokes. (no offense intended!)

The onboard computer is completely unreliable. And it's not consistent in how much it's off - other than it's consistently optimistic. And it's funny (to me) how people are about that. My brother just traded an '18 2500/Cummins for a '20 1500/Hemi. He quotes the onboard computer to me (old truck and new), even though I have explained to him how inaccurate it is. It seems like, because it reads a little high and he WANTS to believe his truck gets better mileage than it does, he is resistant to hand calculating. He just looks at the onboard only because "it's close enough."

Example: I drove my '19 Hemi 522 miles the other day. All Interstate, with the Adaptive Cruise set to 80 almost all the way. The onboard was showing 19.8 MPG. Filled up and entered the data in Fuelly (took 29.022 gallons) and it was actually 18.0 MPG.

And that is not an anomaly. I logged every fill-up in that truck over 72K miles. Besides logging the actual fuel consumption, I logged what the onboard said at every fill-up. It was almost always high. Like 95% of the time it was high. The amount it was high varied wildly. Every now and then it would be just about spot on. But, usually, anywhere from 1 to 2 MPG higher than actual.

If I only looked at the onboard in that truck, I would have believe I was getting 14 - 15 in town and 18 - 19 on the highway. In reality, I don't have a breakdown by City vs Highway, but my lifetime average in that truck was 14.1 MPG. And, by the way, I work from home, so none of that mileage was commuting.

That was a '19 Laramie Crew Cab, Hemi w/eTorque, 4WD, 3.92, Air suspension (so, lowered at highway speeds for better aero). The first 23K miles were with the stock wheels and tires. After that, I switched to 20" wheels with 275/60 tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3 for the next 43K, then Mavis Mountaineers (I think) in the same size for the next 7K). I thought the slightly bigger tires made a bigger difference to my mileage, but my average over just the first 23K miles was 14.8 MPG. Average for the time after changing tires is 13.8 MPG. So, the tires only cost me 1.0 MPG.

I traded the Hemi on Wed for a '21 EcoDiesel. In 3 years with that Hemi, I spent $13,740.83 on gasoline. That was with an average price for gas of $2.70 a gallon (the average of what I spent over that time). I shudder to think what 3 years of gas would have been at today's prices. Over $20K. Not that the ED is really going to yield any significant savings.... I AM aware of that.

Tire Guy

Reaction score
Are you guys, that're getting upper teens to low 20s with 3.92 gears, also in a 2WD truck? I have driven from Orlando to Kentucky and back, and Orlando to Chattanooga and back and couldn't get over 18mpg at about 75mph. Now, I have a Rebel with the off road tires, 3.92 gears and it sits higher than a regular 1500. My around town mileage is about 14mpg.
Yes, 2wd and no lift. I have had lifted vehicles in the past. I doubt I will do this one.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As @StuartV said, if you aren't calculating your fuel mileage with a calculator, or on paper for you real old guys, then your numbers are off. My last tank, which was about 2/3 highway miles, my dash displayed 17.1 mpg. When calculated out with calculator ended up being 16.1 mpg.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As @StuartV said, if you aren't calculating your fuel mileage with a calculator, or on paper for you real old guys, then your numbers are off. My last tank, which was about 2/3 highway miles, my dash displayed 17.1 mpg. When calculated out with calculator ended up being 16.1 mpg.
On a trip through Montana, Idaho and Washington a few months ago......I did exactly what you refer to.....at one fill up.....my dash trip odometer said I averaged 21.3 mpg for 244 miles.......I took 11.5 gallons at that stop.....11.4 x 21.3=242.85.......pretty darn close! No complaints here.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On a trip through Montana, Idaho and Washington a few months ago......I did exactly what you refer to.....at one fill up.....my dash trip odometer said I averaged 21.3 mpg for 244 miles.......I took 11.5 gallons at that stop.....11.4 x 21.3=242.85.......pretty darn close! No complaints here.
I have had a trip last year to OKC where I was within .2 between displayed and calculated. It seems if you go straight highway miles, it's more accurate. When you throw in stop lights and traffic where you are stopping and accelerating it throws it off

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Your mpg is right for a Rebel, not bad actually, it's pretty much down to your tires. 33" with all-terrains on the aggressive side (Duratracs) are going to give you 3-4 mpg less than comparable spec street tired trucks.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I get this feeling that at least some of y'all are basing your statements on your mileage on the onboard computer readout. In which case, you should save your keystrokes. (no offense intended!)

The onboard computer is completely unreliable. And it's not consistent in how much it's off - other than it's consistently optimistic. And it's funny (to me) how people are about that. My brother just traded an '18 2500/Cummins for a '20 1500/Hemi. He quotes the onboard computer to me (old truck and new), even though I have explained to him how inaccurate it is. It seems like, because it reads a little high and he WANTS to believe his truck gets better mileage than it does, he is resistant to hand calculating. He just looks at the onboard only because "it's close enough."

Example: I drove my '19 Hemi 522 miles the other day. All Interstate, with the Adaptive Cruise set to 80 almost all the way. The onboard was showing 19.8 MPG. Filled up and entered the data in Fuelly (took 29.022 gallons) and it was actually 18.0 MPG.

And that is not an anomaly. I logged every fill-up in that truck over 72K miles. Besides logging the actual fuel consumption, I logged what the onboard said at every fill-up. It was almost always high. Like 95% of the time it was high. The amount it was high varied wildly. Every now and then it would be just about spot on. But, usually, anywhere from 1 to 2 MPG higher than actual.

If I only looked at the onboard in that truck, I would have believe I was getting 14 - 15 in town and 18 - 19 on the highway. In reality, I don't have a breakdown by City vs Highway, but my lifetime average in that truck was 14.1 MPG. And, by the way, I work from home, so none of that mileage was commuting.

That was a '19 Laramie Crew Cab, Hemi w/eTorque, 4WD, 3.92, Air suspension (so, lowered at highway speeds for better aero). The first 23K miles were with the stock wheels and tires. After that, I switched to 20" wheels with 275/60 tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3 for the next 43K, then Mavis Mountaineers (I think) in the same size for the next 7K). I thought the slightly bigger tires made a bigger difference to my mileage, but my average over just the first 23K miles was 14.8 MPG. Average for the time after changing tires is 13.8 MPG. So, the tires only cost me 1.0 MPG.

I traded the Hemi on Wed for a '21 EcoDiesel. In 3 years with that Hemi, I spent $13,740.83 on gasoline. That was with an average price for gas of $2.70 a gallon (the average of what I spent over that time). I shudder to think what 3 years of gas would have been at today's prices. Over $20K. Not that the ED is really going to yield any significant savings.... I AM aware of that.

Your computer might not be accurate, but you can't say that about every truck. I checked the accuracy of my computer on the first few tanks of gas. Most of them were off by no more than .1-.2 mpg. The worst one was off by .35 mpg. That's close enough for me, so I gave up on checking the accuracy of my computer, up until last week. My truck just turned 1 year old with 5000 miles on it, so I figured the computer was all worn out and it would be less accurate. :LOL: Nope, it was off by .1 mpg...actually I rounded up, it was just under .1.

I'm still getting between 16-16.5 mpg driving around town. That jumps up to 17-17.5 mpg if do a trip or two to Spokane, which is 50 miles round trip via the interstate.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Wired. My dic has always been within less than half a gallon to my personal math. So I stopped manually calculating it.

I could see it being off if you’re changing tire size and not recalibrating.

But to make the statement it’s way off is a bit odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tire Guy

Reaction score
My jeep computer mileage was always very close to actual and since the software is similar between the two trucks, I believe it is a good comparison. Now if the Ram was way below the Jeep I would probably get the calculator out.

wjcook68

Reaction score
My 2021 Gladiator Rubicon with the 3.6 got 18mpg. I was less than impressed with the MPG.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had two Gladiators. A gas and a diesel. Both had larger tires installed. The gas would do 16 MPG and the diesel 21 MPG. I also had a 2022 Nissan Frontier with the all new V6 and 9-speed combo. 19.5 MPG stock, 17 MPG with 33" tires.

I've only got 80 miles on this 2022 Laramie Hemi so far. Dash is showing 18.4 MPG. If it really gets this kind of MPG I'll be ecstatic. The space, capability, and power with no MPG loss? Sign me up!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had two Gladiators. A gas and a diesel. Both had larger tires installed. The gas would do 16 MPG and the diesel 21 MPG. I also had a 2022 Nissan Frontier with the all new V6 and 9-speed combo. 19.5 MPG stock, 17 MPG with 33" tires.

I've only got 80 miles on this 2022 Laramie Hemi so far. Dash is showing 18.4 MPG. If it really gets this kind of MPG I'll be ecstatic. The space, capability, and power with no MPG loss? Sign me up!

Some people claim their dash is accurate. I logged every single fill-up, over 72K miles, in my '19 Hemi. I logged actual miles and volume of gas and also what the dash said, for every fill-up. The dash was definitely not accurate. It was almost always optimistic, and the amount is was off could be as much as 2 MPG.

Example: I filled up last Tuesday and drove 522 miles without stopping. All Interstate. Mostly with Cruise on 80. Dash said 19.8 MPG. Filled up and the Fuelly calculation was 18.0 MPG.

I traded the '19 on Wed morning for a '21 EcoDiesel and drove home. At my first fill-up (at 524 miles), the dash said 28.1 and Fuelly said 26.7. At the next fill-up (after another 403 miles), the dash said 26.4 and Fuelly said 24.1.

All examples I just gave were with the trucks running stock wheels and stock, original tires.

So, sorry, but I am pretty skeptical that you have actually gotten 18.4.

Users who are viewing this thread