5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V-8 Gas Mileage Better Than V-6

Tire Guy

Reaction score
I had my Jeep Gladiator for 3 years and consistently got 18 mpg. It had the Pentastar V-6. So, I was very apprehensive about going to the 5.7 with gas prices getting so high. I was thinking of waiting for 2023 and the new Hurrican engine. Hoping the gas mileage would be better. But I found a Laramie GT that had most of what I wanted at a super discount and couldn't pass it up. I have had my new 2022 Laramie with 5.7 E-Torque for a few weeks and I am very relieved to see the gas mileage is better! With the same basic driving parameters, to and from work and errands around town, I am getting just under 19 mpg. I know it is not a big difference, but having the size, luxury and power of the Ram and with better gas mileage than the Jeep is just icing on a great cake.

My list of upgrades and modifications is getting rather long....

Quint

Reaction score
Congrats! Just wait until you upgrade tires though...

With stock tires my truck averaged in the high teens. When driving from Minnesota to Colorado and back, I averaged 24mpg at an average of 70mph. Since putting on my aggressive tires, my highway mpg is more around 20 and city is around 15 which still isn't bad for a truck.

Tire Guy

Reaction score
Congrats! Just wait until you upgrade tires though...

With stock tires my truck averaged in the high teens. When driving from Minnesota to Colorado and back, I averaged 24mpg at an average of 70mph. Since putting on my aggressive tires, my highway mpg is more around 20 and city is around 15 which still isn't bad for a truck.
Thanks. I am in no rush to do big tires. I say that now, but deals are always to be found.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Thats awesome! Let us know if you find any deals on tires. I've been looking for the last month or so, tire prices are going nuts right now. I'm looking at sizing up to 265/70-18 (which is a 32.6" tire compared to stock 275/65-18 which is 32.1") Also, the OE Falken Wildpeaks weigh 49 lbs, looking at a Cooper Discoverer AT3 or General Grabber ATX which are 41 or 44 lbs.

Made the mistake of getting E load 10 ply tires on my old truck that weighed 58 lbs. Never again. Destroyed ride and MPG.

I've pedaled a few mountain bikes before up big climbs with cheap, heavy wheels and tires. I'm a big believer that overweight rotational mass is brutal on efficiency (for both human legs and engines)

Tire Guy

Reaction score
Thats awesome! Let us know if you find any deals on tires. I've been looking for the last month or so, tire prices are going nuts right now. I'm looking at sizing up to 265/70-18 (which is a 32.6" tire compared to stock 275/65-18 which is 32.1") Also, the OE Falken Wildpeaks weigh 49 lbs, looking at a Cooper Discoverer AT3 or General Grabber ATX which are 41 or 44 lbs.

Made the mistake of getting E load 10 ply tires on my old truck that weighed 58 lbs. Never again. Destroyed ride and MPG.

I've pedaled a few mountain bikes before up big climbs with cheap, heavy wheels and tires. I'm a big believer that overweight rotational mass is brutal on efficiency (for both human legs and engines)
My son asked why I sold the Jeep and bought the Ram. Simple, it needed new tires. There are plenty of good tires on the market that will be similar in weight to your OE. Many of the top brands are over built and the weight is a killer.

U

User_3336

My 22 Ram HEMI gets better has milege than a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee I leased.

The V6 in the Jeep was just always underpowered and sluggish. It averaged about 17.

FourByBud

Reaction score
I call BS. That's of course in total sarcasm. My 22 Limited ETorque with 3.92's never even dreams of that great of mileage. Still my favorite tho 😉

Tire Guy

Reaction score
I call BS. That's of course in total sarcasm. My 22 Limited ETorque with 3.92's never even dreams of that great of mileage. Still my favorite tho 😉
Mine has the GT package with 3.92 gears. Just got to go easy on the go pedal.

U

User_3336

V6 is a good engine, but sometimes a bit underpowered for these big vehicles.
Def. under powered for the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I wonder how the V6 performs in a full size Crew Cab Ram (prob with a 3.21)

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My 5.7 Ram gets about 50% better gas mileage than my 2001 Wrangler 4.0. Maybe even better -- I never drive the Wrangler above 70 because it gets really thirsty then. Face it, Jeeps are about as aerodynamic as a brick.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
RAM 1500 Hemi with street oriented tires can get pretty impressive numbers for sure.

The V6 (or lower engine) option is rarely an actual mpg improvement, it's more of a costs savings option towards the initial purchase.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Well you went from a brick to a more aero dynamic vehicle.

Wranglers / gladiators, were never that great on mpg. The 6 months I owned a wrangler was the worst daily vehicle experience I’ve had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ben b

Reaction score
RAM 1500 Hemi with street oriented tires can get pretty impressive numbers for sure.

The V6 (or lower engine) option is rarely an actual mpg improvement, it's more of a costs savings option towards the initial purchase.
I have the V6 and agree with you. Power is perfectly adequate for all day cruising at 75+. But don't expect to tow much weight. Nor zip across the intersection. It works well for me and I like the slightly simpler maintenance and lower fuel octane.

Overall, I'm happy with my choice, but recommend the hemi for most Ram customers.

ben b

Reaction score
BTW... On 1,000+ mile trips, I average 19-20 mpg when calculating using actual fill up data (not RAM meter). Maybe marginally better than V8. But hard to compare with others because of differ driving style, tires, load, even % ethanol, etc.

Tire Guy

Reaction score
BTW... On 1,000+ mile trips, I average 19-20 mpg when calculating using actual fill up data (not RAM meter). Maybe marginally better than V8. But hard to compare with others because of differ driving style, tires, load, even % ethanol, etc.
I think that is why I was so surprised. The same basic driving patterns between the two trucks. I just assumed the V8 would be worse gas mileage than the V6. Yes, the Ram is more aerodynamic, but the Jeep is lighter. Even better the V8 is still in break-in mode, the gas mileage may improve.

wjcook68

Reaction score
My Gladiator only got 18mpg and that was with me being light on the pedal. I drive mostly freeway but there can be considerable stop and go traffic in the afternoon drive. Even with the ESS it dragged the mileage down. Now the Ecodiesel on the other hand, WOW!

Tire Guy - That blue is a kick-a$$ color for sure.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So true......I got the Hemi....3.92 rear....tow package...crew cab and highway tires......I average 20 to 21mpg driving and 16 to 18 towing our small travel trailer all over the Western states.......no complaints...love the truck.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the V6 with 3.21 gears and have averaged 21 mpg over 6 months. On trips to the eastern shore of Maryland I average 23.5 on the 180-mile trip of which I travel each week or so during the summer months. I have made trips south on hilly I81 south to Charlottesville, VA and north to Old Forge, NY. On the hilly highways I average 21 mpg at around 70-75 mph with a lot of 8 to 7 gear shifting. I have a Z2 ARE cap, and I don't tow anything on the trips, if I planned on towing I would have gone with the Hemi. I am happy with my choice of the V6 it does what I expected it to do.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you guys, that're getting upper teens to low 20s with 3.92 gears, also in a 2WD truck? I have driven from Orlando to Kentucky and back, and Orlando to Chattanooga and back and couldn't get over 18mpg at about 75mph. Now, I have a Rebel with the off road tires, 3.92 gears and it sits higher than a regular 1500. My around town mileage is about 14mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread