5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the Dealer to set new tire size

The Groove

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Cost? I recently sized up to 35's and would like the speedo corrected, and more importantly the shift points. I understand there are ways to do it on your own, but I'm not smart enough for alphaOBD. And not looking to take apart my dash. Thanks.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See if someone near you has AlfaOBD, a Gateway Bypass, and a OBD link MX+.
If they have that, they should know how to change the settings. You Don't
need to take apart the dash, But pulling the Headlight Bezel (no tools required)
makes it easier to see where to plug in the Gateway.

Grab the Bezel here and pull strait out.

Malodave

HowToPullLightSwitch.jpg

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Cost? I recently sized up to 35's and would like the speedo corrected, and more importantly the shift points. I understand there are ways to do it on your own, but I'm not smart enough for alphaOBD. And not looking to take apart my dash. Thanks.
My dealership said they would do it for $350, and they couldn’t guarantee that my Parksense and Forward Collision warning would still work. I ended up going the AlfaOBD route instead. It cost me around $150 for everything that was needed. It took me two tries to get it right, and a little assistance from a forum member, but now the speedo is spot on.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealership said they would do it for $350, and they couldn’t guarantee that my Parksense and Forward Collision warning would still work. I ended up going the AlfaOBD route instead. It cost me around $150 for everything that was needed. It took me two tries to get it right, and a little assistance from a forum member, but now the speedo is spot on.
Tazer DT cost less than that and you get more options. This is what I used to adjust speedo for 35" tires and I have not had any issues whatsoever with any sensors. Easy plug and play.

The Groove

Reaction score
Tazer DT cost less than that and you get more options. This is what I used to adjust speedo for 35" tires and I have not had any issues whatsoever with any sensors. Easy plug and play.

Good deal, thanks. I was checking it out, being plug and play I should be able to figure it out. I will do some searching around here, and YouTube. I'm thinking this is my best option.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
tazerDT is $329... unless there's a secret deal that I cannot see?
Correct! His stealership wanted $350 just to adjust the speedo and they couldn't guarantee he wouldn't have sensor issues. I see them for sale on here all the time for around $250. Just make sure the last user unmarried it from their truck.

I didn't read earlier where he said he did it for $150 through AlfaOBD.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See if someone near you has AlfaOBD, a Gateway Bypass, and a OBD link MX+.
If they have that, they should know how to change the settings. You Don't
need to take apart the dash, But pulling the Headlight Bezel (no tools required)
makes it easier to see where to plug in the Gateway.

Grab the Bezel here and pull strait out.

Malodave

View attachment 148409
You're right, pull straight out >>>>Wipe it clean and put it back on.... :)

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct! His stealership wanted $350 just to adjust the speedo and they couldn't guarantee he wouldn't have sensor issues. I see them for sale on here all the time for around $250. Just make sure the last user unmarried it from their truck.

ah
that got me confused a bit there i was like "how is $329 less than $150" lollll

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I dont know why dealers do this, it's a $145 purchase that includes paying to program the vehicle.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^ Profit thats why, imagine how many guys aren’t on the forum and haven’t discovered the wonderfulness or Alfa or ZA and get hosed overpaying the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont know why dealers do this, it's a $145 purchase that includes paying to program the vehicle.
They told me it was $350 because they had to ‘get a module from Chrysler’ or something like that. It was at that point that I realized that I probably knew more about it than they did.

tabber02

Reaction score
A21DE56D-A5A0-420A-8C2C-1E80B2AA46D0.jpeg Has anyone done this? Cost? I recently sized up to 35's and would like the speedo corrected, and more importantly the shift points. I understand there are ways to do it on your own, but I'm not smart enough for alphaOBD. And not looking to take apart my dash. Thanks.
yes. just had it done today by the dealership. the service advisor coded it as warranty. i’ve gotten very lucky with the advisor and dealership near me. incredible customer service—they really own the problem.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes. just had it done today by the dealership. the service advisor coded it as warranty. i’ve gotten very lucky with the advisor and dealership near me. incredible customer service—they really own the problem.
When you purchase the program, warranty pays the tech to calibrate/update module.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
I just did this last week.

$19

TTXSPP Cable Adaptor for Chrysler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector for Autel DS808 Maxisys Main Test Cable for Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 MS906 MS906BT MS906S MS908 MS908S Pro​

$60

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iPhone iOS, Android & Windows​

$21
VIN License for Jscan

All in, $100. Jscan worked on an iphone and is really really simple. Changing the tire size took 5 minutes because I was reading all the info things and making sure I was selecting the right thing. After you select the new tire size, there are directions in the information bubble to reset your ABS. Everything worked out perfect. Highly recommended.

The Groove

Reaction score
When you purchase the program, warranty pays the tech to calibrate/update module.
I have the bumper-to-bumper warranty. If I am understanding correctly this can be covered as a "calibrate/update?"

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the bumper-to-bumper warranty. If I am understanding correctly this can be covered as a "calibrate/update?"
The calibration has to be purchased to be able to perform the updated tire size to the truck.

TrojanRam

Reaction score
I’m waiting for a quote from my dealer, I’ll post back what they say. if it’s much more than $150 I’ll probably go the JScan or AlfaOBD route (thanks @jmrhodes212 for sharing your experience with that!).

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m waiting for a quote from my dealer, I’ll post back what they say. if it’s much more than $150 I’ll probably go the JScan or AlfaOBD route (thanks @jmrhodes212 for sharing your experience with that!).
I would reach out to Zeigler and see if they sell the contract. They may sell it for $125-140. That contract pays for the dealer to program tire size.

Users who are viewing this thread