5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using "4WD Auto" in leu of "4WD High"

Jake1050

Reaction score
My last truck had 2wd, 4wd lock and 4wd low. My new truck adds a new setting "4WD Auto". Is this the go to setting when its just very cold (possible ice) and or wet and the 4WD High is for when on pure snow or packed snow/ice?
What are your determining factors when you are deciding between 4WD High 4WD Auto?

Thanks in advance.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last truck had 2wd, 4wd lock and 4wd low. My new truck adds a new setting "4WD Auto". Is this the go to setting when its just very cold (possible ice) and or wet and the 4WD High is for when on pure snow or packed snow/ice?
What are your determining factors when you are deciding between 4WD High 4WD Auto?

Thanks in advance.
This thread will explain it all…

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes.

You can make tight turns in 4WD Auto. If you do that in 4HI you will rub rubber.
It's essentially AWD

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
I only use 4-high when I'm playing around in the snow in parking lots with traction control off, or launching at drag strip. Regular driving on snow/ice/wet is 4-auto.

barrak

Reaction score
IF the snow is bad and roads are unplowed yet, 4WD H it is.
If it’s raining and/or roads are plowed and salted, 4WD auto.
Totally agree. I live in the mountains, and when I'm descending along twisty roads in snow packed/icy conditions, even in isolated patches, I wouldn't risk having 4WD Auto switching on/off at the wrong time.

Going up or on flat roads, I do favor 4WD Auto over 4WD Hi. I also use snow tires all winter which makes a huge difference for me.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Totally agree. I live in the mountains, and when I'm descending along twisty roads in snow packed/icy conditions, even in isolated patches, I wouldn't risk having 4WD Auto switching on/off at the wrong time.

Going up or on flat roads, I do favor 4WD Auto over 4WD Hi. I also use snow tires all winter which makes a huge difference for me.
Our pot holes could be classified as small mountains.. I may have to rethink my thought process… ROFL.

barrak

Reaction score
Our pot holes could be classified as small mountains.. I may have to rethink my thought process… ROFL.
Just follow Hercule Poirot's car advice after every ride and you'll be fine:

1. Does it have the correct number of wheels?
2. Are those wheels firmly attached to the corners of the machine?

Seriously, a pothole with an attitude can split a rim in halves. Happened to my brother a few years back. Both driver and machine lived to tell the tale.

Users who are viewing this thread