5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Useless Connect

beetlespin

Reaction score
Love everything about the truck except for the Uconnect.

Looses connection intermittently.

Looses connection for some reason when I pull in my driveway.

I am running the latest software. Just don't get it. This isn't rocket science. My Ford Ranger was flawless.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I am running the latest software. Just don't get it. This isn't rocket science. My Ford Ranger was flawless.
You probably temporarily loose connection pulling into your driveway as it transitions from LTE to your home WiFi. My phone does the same thing when I hit my driveway. There a sort period where it's trying to connect to the home WiFi and doesn't know what to do because it's not fully connected to wifi, but also is switching between 5g and 4g as my neighborhood is right on the edge of 5g coverage.

monza2t

Reaction score
The driveway thing is totally your phone transitioning between networks. I have had that using UConnect, Volvo Sensus, Honda (whatever that POS system is called) and Ford Sync.

As for the other interruptions, not sure whats going on there. Is your phone connected via USB or BT when it happens?

Also, my experience with Sync was not great in our Escape, so maybe it was better in the Ranger but to be honest all of these systems have their flaws. I havent used one yet that was perfect.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

What looses connection?

You probably temporarily loose connection pulling into your driveway as it transitions from LTE to your home WiFi. My phone does the same thing when I hit my driveway. There a sort period where it's trying to connect to the home WiFi and doesn't know what to do because it's not fully connected to wifi, but also is switching between 5g and 4g as my neighborhood is right on the edge of 5g coverage.

Lose. :rolleyes:

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Fabtastic title :D

beetlespin

Reaction score
I get the driveway thing but, no reason for it to start stuttering driving down the road. I have a LTE phone with no 5G.

Do the two button reset and all is good for a while. Sometimes for days, somtimes for minutes.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get the driveway thing but, no reason for it to start stuttering driving down the road. I have a LTE phone with no 5G.

Do the two button reset and all is good for a while. Sometimes for days, somtimes for minutes.
What is the system doing? What is your software version?

Last edited:

beetlespin

Reaction score
Driving down the road listening to Pandora and and it will get all choppy, like it's connecting disconecting continually. Not a connection to cell tower thing, When that happens I loose connection completly.

Draconicus Mechanicus

Reaction score
I have a funny thing with my wireless Android Auto doing this same thing. I never thought about the wifi at home, because it does it there briefly when I leave or arrive, just stutters once, silence for a few seconds, then says no phone connection, then will come back after a bit. But it also does it when I leave the neighborhood a mile or so down the road, same symptoms every single time without fail. It has never, ever, not even once, kept connection at that one intersection, as soon as I get close it stutters and recovers, and when I pass into the intersection it stutters and disconnects just like when I pull up to the house. There's so far two other locations in town that it'll do it that aren't intersections. I never though about 4G/5G handover being a possible cause, I'll have to pay attention to that now.

None of these issues when connected with USB though, works flawless. Not an app issue either, as the whole Android Auto connection drops, not just Spotify or Waze or any other app I happen to be using.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a funny thing with my wireless Android Auto doing this same thing. I never thought about the wifi at home, because it does it there briefly when I leave or arrive, just stutters once, silence for a few seconds, then says no phone connection, then will come back after a bit. But it also does it when I leave the neighborhood a mile or so down the road, same symptoms every single time without fail. It has never, ever, not even once, kept connection at that one intersection, as soon as I get close it stutters and recovers, and when I pass into the intersection it stutters and disconnects just like when I pull up to the house. There's so far two other locations in town that it'll do it that aren't intersections. I never though about 4G/5G handover being a possible cause, I'll have to pay attention to that now.

None of these issues when connected with USB though, works flawless. Not an app issue either, as the whole Android Auto connection drops, not just Spotify or Waze or any other app I happen to be using.
There was one spot around me where my SiriusXM would drop out. Same place every time. Happened with both my truck and my wife Traverse. Could never figure out why it happened there. But whatever was causing it has fixed itself. It went on for about 6 months.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are using wireless Apple Carplay? If so, it is total crap on any vehicle I have ever used. It does exactly what you described, very noticeable when streaming music.

That said, I have a work van, 2020 Voyager with the newer Ucconect 5 and no wireless carplay, but it will loose connection sometime, kinda like the system restarts it always comes back up but it is rather annoying.
My Ram have the uncconect 4 and I have never lost connection with CarPlay(wired)

MNMEAD

Reaction score
Man I thought it was just me. I have three spots along my commute that I lose full connection during. Also many other spots in other areas around home that I've found. My chief complaint is the random lack of connection when I get in my truck. Doesn't matter where or when, sometimes I cannot get my phone to connect for 10-15 minutes and multiple radio restarts (holding the power button for 10 seconds or so till it reboots.) This is not, in my opinion, an Android vs Apple issue as I had Android for the first 8 months of my truck ownership and Apple for the past 6 months. Both phones will not connect wireless OR wired when I have this issue. It is also MARKEDLY worse in the winter, where the average overnight low is single digits to 20's. When it is colder than single digits I expect my phone to not connect to the truck wirelessly or wired for my entire commute. It makes driving to meetings or appointments VERY stressful when the phone won't connect fully. In those cases I also cannot just use my phone for maps because I'll pull up directions and it says I have to use the vehicle to use maps while driving... Then you turn off bluetooth but the intermittent connection to the truck forces a bluetooth start so you're stuck in a black hole of driving to your meeting and effing with the phone so you know where you're going. Ultimately, I believe it is a Uconnect issue. My brother in law has a 2021 purchased 3 months before I got my 2022 with Uconnect 5, and he has ZERO issues, though wireless is not an option with Uconnect 4.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man I thought it was just me. I have three spots along my commute that I lose full connection during. Also many other spots in other areas around home that I've found. My chief complaint is the random lack of connection when I get in my truck. Doesn't matter where or when, sometimes I cannot get my phone to connect for 10-15 minutes and multiple radio restarts (holding the power button for 10 seconds or so till it reboots.) This is not, in my opinion, an Android vs Apple issue as I had Android for the first 8 months of my truck ownership and Apple for the past 6 months. Both phones will not connect wireless OR wired when I have this issue. It is also MARKEDLY worse in the winter, where the average overnight low is single digits to 20's. When it is colder than single digits I expect my phone to not connect to the truck wirelessly or wired for my entire commute. It makes driving to meetings or appointments VERY stressful when the phone won't connect fully. In those cases I also cannot just use my phone for maps because I'll pull up directions and it says I have to use the vehicle to use maps while driving... Then you turn off bluetooth but the intermittent connection to the truck forces a bluetooth start so you're stuck in a black hole of driving to your meeting and effing with the phone so you know where you're going. Ultimately, I believe it is a Uconnect issue. My brother in law has a 2021 purchased 3 months before I got my 2022 with Uconnect 5, and he has ZERO issues, though wireless is not an option with Uconnect 4.
You can just disable android auto or Carplay on the phone so you can still use maps. My phone doesn't launch android auto unless I plug it in. I turned off the auto-launch of AA with Bluetooth connection.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driving down the road listening to Pandora and and it will get all choppy, like it's connecting disconecting continually. Not a connection to cell tower thing, When that happens I loose connection completly.
What is your software level?

Users who are viewing this thread