5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Used RAM values for selling/trading

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As we all know used vehicle prices have gone crazy. As a result it’s really hard to get a good handle on current values. I’m seeing drastically different numbers for my current truck and it’s hard to know which one to believe. I’ve checked out KBB, Edmunds, NADA guides and a few others I can’t think of right now.

My dealer offered me $20,000 for my current 2017 Laramie in trade on my ordered truck. I laughed at that offer knowing even with 120,000 miles it’s worth MUCH more in this market. I’m seeing anywhere from $25-$32,000. Seems crazy. 😲

Likely selling it myself to a private buyer or maybe selling to a large local used truck dealer that buys trucks at a real decent price. Sold my last Laramie to them and made $5000 more than I would have gotten as a trade.

So what’s your favorite source for getting an accurate value for your used truck?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Put the specs of your truck in Carvana, Carmax and Vroom. It's pretty easy and you will get a price they are willing to buy it right now. This will give you a good idea on what the market is, you should be able to get a bit more private of course.

Prices have dropped, about $5,000 since about a month ago. I just checked right now, the highest offer I had was by Carmax, then Vroom and Carvana was distant 3rd. What's interesting is a month ago, it was the other way around. Carvana had the highest offer.

I think supply is slowly meeting demand, factor in higher fuel prices and overall inflation and used prices will continue to fall and normalize. I highly recommend if you are planning on selling, to do it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As we all know used vehicle prices have gone crazy. As a result it’s really hard to get a good handle on current values. I’m seeing drastically different numbers for my current truck and it’s hard to know which one to believe. I’ve checked out KBB, Edmunds, NADA guides and a few others I can’t think of right now.

My dealer offered me $20,000 for my current 2017 Laramie in trade on my ordered truck. I laughed at that offer knowing even with 120,000 miles it’s worth MUCH more in this market. I’m seeing anywhere from $25-$32,000. Seems crazy. 😲

Likely selling it myself to a private buyer or maybe selling to a large local used truck dealer that buys trucks at a real decent price. Sold my last Laramie to them and made $5000 more than I would have gotten as a trade.

So what’s your favorite source for getting an accurate value for your used truck?
I don't think there is any accurate valve. I think most places use KBB and then offer from their. Trading it to a dealer is going to always net the lowest offer as they want to turn around and make a huge profit. They also know that most people will take that offer if trying to get into a new truck/car. Selling it yourself would probably get you the most money assuming someone will pay you $30k for a truck.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that you can offset the sales tax on your new truck with a trade-in. Not so if you sell separately. You should figure out what that value is, and factor it in on the potential trade with your dealer.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have no affiliation with these guys, but have met them and they are honest. They have a relationship with black book and pull data from there (combined with their own). The reason I’m suggesting this is because they will give you the resale value of what a dealer would sell your vehicle for when trading in. Here’s the link for resale value. They do ask for an email, but don’t give it to third parties and you can unsubscribe whenever you want.

BNeal

Reaction score
I just checked with Carvana on my loaded '21 Limited with 20,000 miles on it. They are only offering me $40k. So yea, prices are coming down, it would seem.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just checked with Carvana on my loaded '21 Limited with 20,000 miles on it. They are only offering me $40k. So yea, prices are coming down, it would seem.
That seems way off for a limited. They offered me 34k for my 21 what 2800 miles on it. But that was just a big horn. Nothing special

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wholesale prices for trucks dropped an average of 2.8% last month, but that valuation is way low.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Try Carmax, they were $5,000 higher than my Carvana offer, which was my lowest so far.

mtnbikej

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that you can offset the sales tax on your new truck with a trade-in. Not so if you sell separately. You should figure out what that value is, and factor it in on the potential trade with your dealer.

Unfortunately that doesn't apply to all states.....most of them do, but there are 7 or so that don't do that....California being one of them.

tbnolefan

Reaction score
Considering they are selling that same car for 69k, I’m guessing you entered something wrong in the quote or the truck has been in a couple accidents.

d19r93

Reaction score
For my 2020 Ram BigHorn 1500, Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition, 50k miles, side steps, bed liner, I was offered $38k.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turned my 2020 Built to Serve lease in early today. 21k miles, Rambox, air suspension. 8k towards my new new lease.

U

User_3336

I have no affiliation with these guys, but have met them and they are honest. They have a relationship with black book and pull data from there (combined with their own). The reason I’m suggesting this is because they will give you the resale value of what a dealer would sell your vehicle for when trading in. Here’s the link for resale value. They do ask for an email, but don’t give it to third parties and you can unsubscribe whenever you want.
I tried it on mine, and there is a WIDE variation in values . . .

YAA Valuation:
$40,808.00 - $52,626.00

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tried it on mine, and there is a WIDE variation in values . . .

YAA Valuation:
$40,808.00 - $52,626.00

Yea same here, $38,053.00-$49,871.00
I’m not trying to defend that site- that being said, kbb gives the same range of fair through excellent. The main difference here is getting the info from a non lead generation site.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I would check any of the 3 sites who will actually buy your vehicle for their quoted price, then add $3,000 - $4,000 or so to get an idea what the private buyer is likely to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread