5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Used Ram prices up 28.8% from last year

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Xactly'. I doubt that assembly quality has increased either, based on my brothers last 3 trailers (5vers), it wasn't great when they had more time to make one. Imagine a Monday 3rd shift trailer...
For one educated owner's take on rv build quality in 2018: https://tomorrowsjourney.com/responsible-poor-quality-rvs-manufactured-today/
(Doesn't make me feel good about the rushed build quality of 2021.)

Quality is so bad one large dealer opened a 77-acre facility next to the manufacturers in Indiana to inspect & fix campers before bringing them to their dealership lots

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This morning I was at the dealer where we purchased the 2020 Laramie. I had to take it in for a new set of wiper blades as one was failing and they actually replaced both under warranty. While I was waiting, I was talking with our old salesman. He asked if we were ready to trade yet as the trade values are astronomical. I asked him how much the dealer discounts are on new Laramies and Limiteds…he said zero…all you get is the factory rebate, military discount and Chrysler Capital discount. I asked if he felt it was a sellers market and he grinned saying “For the first time in my career, EVERYONE is paying MSRP or over MSRP for a new vehicle.” I laughed telling him “Not this guy!”

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This morning I was at the dealer where we purchased the 2020 Laramie. I had to take it in for a new set of wiper blades as one was failing and they actually replaced both under warranty. While I was waiting, I was talking with our old salesman. He asked if we were ready to trade yet as the trade values are astronomical. I asked him how much the dealer discounts are on new Laramies and Limiteds…he said zero…all you get is the factory rebate, military discount and Chrysler Capital discount. I asked if he felt it was a sellers market and he grinned saying “For the first time in my career, EVERYONE is paying MSRP or over MSRP for a new vehicle.” I laughed telling him “Not this guy!”
So ordering is a better option then. Why not look into it?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So ordering is a better option then. Why not look into it?
To be honest, there is no reason for us to trade either of our 2020’s as both have been flawless from day one. Both have under 5000 miles each and I don’t feel like shaking out potential issues of another new pickup. Like I told our salesman, it will be at least another five to ten years before we trade as both used car and new car values are astronomical - I don’t buys stocks or vehicles at or near their peak.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
To be honest, there is no reason for us to trade either of our 2020’s as both have been flawless from day one. Both have under 5000 miles each and I don’t feel like shaking out potential issues of another new pickup. Like I told our salesman, it will be at least another five to ten years before we trade as both used car and new car values are astronomical - I don’t buys stocks or vehicles at or near their peak.
Fair reason.
With vehicles (heck most anything motorized) if you get a good one, better keep it! Other than the battery, ours was just fine.

As an aside, my "old" truck (2019 and another one that's a twin except it has a Billet exterior) are both still sitting at the Autonation dealer we sold it to.
Guess their "no haggle price" of $59.9 is too much for peeps to pay. Glad I got what I got.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fair reason.
With vehicles (heck most anything motorized) if you get a good one, better keep it! Other than the battery, ours was just fine.

As an aside, my "old" truck (2019 and another one that's a twin except it has a Billet exterior) are both still sitting at the Autonation dealer we sold it to.
Guess their "no haggle price" of $59.9 is too much for peeps to pay. Glad I got what I got.

Likewise, autonation still has mine from over 2 weeks ago. And now that they have pictures up I can confirm that they did put money into at least new tires for it.

afphinfan

Reaction score
I thought for sure that Carvana would never sell my Ranger when they listed it for $500 more than the MSRP sticker (that they even linked to); but within a week they dropped the price $800 and someone had it pending within two days and as of yesterday it was sold. Crazy!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other than the fourteen new 4th gen Warlocks on my dealers' lot, there are no other new Rams. The lone 2500 that was there a week or so ago is no longer there. They've got nine used GMs and four or five F-150s, plus two used 4th gen 1500s and a Tundra. That's it for trucks.

Even if I wanted to trade I can't find anything new in the area that would tempt me.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051361 miles.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other than the fourteen new 4th gen Warlocks on my dealers' lot, there are no other new Rams. The lone 2500 that was there a week or so ago is no longer there. They've got nine used GMs and four or five F-150s, plus two used 4th gen 1500s and a Tundra. That's it for trucks.

Even if I wanted to trade I can't find anything new in the area that would tempt me.

Regards,
Dusty

That’s exactly the trouble. Great time to sell, but nothing worthy of replacement.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My local dealers are flooded with Jeep Gladiators, but little else

AmandaLee

Reaction score
No one has heard by any chance that it is more profitable to scrap cars than to dealers. ? I Koby They have a car value calculator, and they tell you the price of your vehicle right away. But I use them because I don't particularly appreciate filling out paperwork. Because it takes a lot of time, and they fill out all the documents for you. Even if you have a large van for work or personal use, an RV that you live in for a long time, or a fleet of vans that have reached the end of their useful life, they have tow trucks and crews that will do the job.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Fair reason.

Update... 4 weeks and $2K in price drops and my old truck is still on their lot.
They did manage to sell the other 2019 Ltd that was 4K less...
Guess it wasn't the best deal they've ever made.

2nd update: They dropped another $500 today (6-22) so they are now $2500 over what they gave me. I‘m pretty sure that it costs several hundred dollars to “certify” and they likely needed to replace the OEM failing battery, so they should be making under $2K if they sell it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update... 4 weeks and $2K in price drops and my old truck is still on their lot.
They did manage to sell the other 2019 Ltd that was 4K less...
Guess it wasn't the best deal they've ever made.

Just checked mine, down another $1,000 making it a total of $3,000 less than what the originally listed it at. At this point it is listed at around $1750 more than they gave me for it, but they also put new tires on it.

U

User_3336

Local dealer here said used car prices are falling at auction. this could mean the end of the outrageous values Carvana and Vroom are giving for fairly fresh used trucks.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Local dealer here said used car prices are falling at auction. this could mean the end of the outrageous values Carvana and Vroom are giving for fairly fresh used trucks.
My local dealer said the same thing four weeks ago when I went with a buddy looking to purchase a new Ram. I laughed when he said it as it sounded like one more tactic to steal a customers trade at a bargain price. Time will tell…

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer had my 2019 Big Horn on their site for $44,999 yesterday and today it is gone so I assume they sold it for that or close to that. I paid $39,239 for it in March 2019 and drove it for 20,000 miles. They gave me $42,000 for it a couple weeks ago.

PwrdbyM

Reaction score
I just tried my hand at doing a trade. I bought a 20 1500 Laramie 4WD in April 20 for $42,750, which was off from the MSRP of $56,xxx. (A good buy at the height of Covid concern). My trade offer was $52k if I bought something else from the same dealer. I attempted a 21 Power Wagon ($67k) which they discounted only $3.6k and then a 21 6.7 Longhorn which was no discount at $82k. There was further a used 20 Power Wagon with 29k mi listed at $68k (more than the new) with no discount offered. It became evident to me that I was just shifting money between the trade and new purchase. Normally in my region a 2500 would easily see $10-12k off sticker with incentives/discounts, so really the deal is about the same. To truly take advantage of this market you need to sell the truck now at top dollar, buy a $10k beater and then purchase again 12-18mths from now when incentives/discounts are back.

Users who are viewing this thread