5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Used oil analysis report at 4,165 miles, why to change factory oil early!

smonska

Reaction score
Changed the factory oil out at 4,165 miles. Almost all highway miles, no towing, couldn't have been easier on the truck. There were lots of wear metals, in fact I've done dozens of UOAs on my vehicles and never seen this high. Change out that break-in oil folks!

Put in Castrol EP 5W-20 and Fram Ultra filter (first a Mopar filter, but it was defective, see other thread). I'll be changing it out at 3k and sending in the oil again to hopefully get those metals down before extending my intervals out to the manufacturer's recommendations.

1572385055904.png

Attachments

• 1572384624991.png
    1572384624991.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 87

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the first concrete UOA I've seen on this forum - everything was above average but quite a bit on some categories as well. Good advice for those who are early on in Mileage

I'll certainly keep an eye out for your later UOAs, I'm nearing 15k, never did a baseline but may consider a 15k/30/45 interval

gotmeahemi

Reaction score
So what is too early for an oil change as now I’m concerned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldoh

Reaction score
I agree there isn't shock value in that initial result. I avoid doing initial oil test samples. I would be worried if it persisted or increased after later oil changes. Changing the initial oil sooner leads to higher PPMs for the second oil change versus doing the recommended OCI. In the end, I doubt a shorter initial OCI has any detectable significance. I think I did my initial oil change around 5500 miles and as a side note the maintenance minder said I had over 40% oil life left. After all, we want the oil to do it's job too.

Amazing93

Reaction score
Great info. Thank you. I changed my oil at 2200 miles this weekend. Makes me feel good about doing it. Oil life indicator said 74%left. But I wanted to get synthetic in it and get rid of any metal in the oil.

rah6887

Reaction score
My dealership told me not to do an initial oil change until around 6k, or 6 months.
He said they cycle the break in oil @ the factory, then dump it for fresh, and it it crucial to *not* change the oil too early, something about the seals seating properly etc...
I have 4 free oil changes, but I am hesitant about letting them change it.

Last edited:

WW2

Reaction score
I have not been doing my own changes over the years. However, my last 3 dealer services have resulted in necessary return trips. 1st, too much oil...2nd, Not enough oil, 3rd left out air filter (yes, it was gone and airbox laying there wide open).. So I decided to do my own from now on......RAM is at 1500 miles ,I plan on doing it sometime between 2 and 3 K miles... I think the break in oil stuff is nonsense...I believe it may not be totally necessary to do the first change early, but it surely doesnt hurt anything......My only concern is removing the factory installed filter.... I hear it is super tight.....

Amazing93

Reaction score
I have not been doing my own changes over the years. However, my last 3 dealer services have resulted in necessary return trips. 1st, too much oil...2nd, Not enough oil, 3rd left out air filter (yes, it was gone and airbox laying there wide open).. So I decided to do my own from now on......RAM is at 1500 miles ,I plan on doing it sometime between 2 and 3 K miles... I think the break in oil stuff is nonsense...I believe it may not be totally necessary to do the first change early, but it surely doesnt hurt anything......My only concern is removing the factory installed filter.... I hear it is super tight.....
That is a valid concern. I could not get the factory oil filter off my truck. I've never had an oil filter that was so tight I couldnt remove it. Ive done a hundred oil changes. Pretty ridiculous.

WW2

Reaction score
That is a valid concern. I could not get the factory oil filter off my truck. I've never had an oil filter that was so tight I couldnt remove it. Ive done a hundred oil changes. Pretty ridiculous.
What did you end up using to remove it ?????

Amazing93

Reaction score
What did you end up using to remove it ?????
Well I only have 2k Mike's on my truck. I just wanted a to get the factory oil out and high quality synthetic in there. Since there's only 2k miles on the filter and it's still good I just left it on cause nothing I did would budge it. I'll have to take it to the dealer for an oil change when the oil change indicator tells me to. I didnt reset it when I put the synthetic in.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a little UOA info to compare against; the TFLTruck guys have a rebel they're running a long term Rotella oil test on, the tail end of their video talks about their UOA #'s and what seemed logical/correct

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Surprised this thread has seen such little response. The “oil wars” threads get hundreds of replies, and there’s always debate over mileage to change posts. I’m glad you showed the lab report, just to show that waiting till the minder tells you ain’t necessarily the best way to take care of your hemi, FCA engineers notwithstanding.
Course I changed mine before 1500 miles so count me in on the “don’t wait” side. I also contribute to wrecking the planet by changing the dino oil at 3K, the Sierra Club and Earth First aren’t sending me Christmas cards this year. o_O

Fastman21

Reaction score
Great info. Thank you. I changed my oil at 2200 miles this weekend. Makes me feel good about doing it. Oil life indicator said 74%left. But I wanted to get synthetic in it and get rid of any metal in the oil.
I had my first one done at the dealership at around 2500 miles . I think they use penzoil synthetic blend . Not too concerened because i have them change it every three thousand. Thats just me .

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had my first one done at the dealership at around 2500 miles . I think they use penzoil synthetic blend . Not too concerened because i have them change it every three thousand. Thats just me .
If you are getting those FCA oil change postcards, (I have gotten a 3/$55 dino oil and a 4/$70 dino recently) they make for cheep-cheep changes...

Fastman21

Reaction score
If you are getting those FCA oil change postcards, (I have gotten a 3/$55 dino oil and a 4/$70 dino recently) they make for cheep-cheep changes...
They have treated me well. I'm on my forth ram from them so they always knock off 10 0r 15% had a couple issues and they are good to offer up a loaner and get me in and out pretty fast.

Users who are viewing this thread