5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Used Oil Analysis- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20, 2021 Ram 1500 3.6L E-Torque Pentastar w/ 63,381 miles, 11,313 Mile OCI

187penguin

Reaction score
Just another data point. I wasn’t able to find PUP, so I’m running PP 0w20 this time. I asked about how they think they compare, and they said it should work fine. Just FYI, the oil life meter said I needed to change at almost exactly 10k, and I ran 1,300 past that for science because they recommended to try 11-12k last time.

Seems like I’m good to 11k. I’ll stick to no more that and do another UOA in 20-30k miles.

IMG_5391.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I keep wanting to do one on my truck, but never remember to order the sample kit

187penguin

Reaction score
I keep wanting to do one on my truck, but never remember to order the sample kit
The blackstone ones are free. You just request them on the website. You just pay when you are ready to ship it in. Just be aware they take like 4-5 weeks for results

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The blackstone ones are free. You just request them on the website. You just pay when you are ready to ship it in. Just be aware they take like 4-5 weeks for results
I know, I ordered a Blackstone one before, then never actually got around to taking a sample and sending it it. Lol. Call it lazy or procrastinating

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know, I ordered a Blackstone one before, then never actually got around to taking a sample and sending it it. Lol. Call it lazy or procrastinating

You can request one of their siphon kits as well, though you have to pay for it (but reusable), in that situation you don't actually have to do an oil change yourself. Also handy when you accidentally overfill your oil or your dealer does.

Quick-Draw Pump | Blackstone Laboratories

In the past, before I knew how to DIY my own oil changes, I just get the service tech the bottle to collect the sample during my oil changes.

On a side note, I always request two kit samples, because I like to take two samples during my oil change in case the first sample doesn't make it.

4x4

Reaction score
Beautiful Fort Wayne, is there gonna be a shooting at an apartment complex tomorrow, or the grocery store? Flip a coin and find out! Thanks for posting this, I'll have to check these guys out.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For you guys taking samples, does it matter when the sample it taken? IE, at the beginning of the oil draining or towards the end.

silver billet

Reaction score
For you guys taking samples, does it matter when the sample it taken? IE, at the beginning of the oil draining or towards the end.

No it doesn't matter, Blackstone themselves tested this and wrote about it in an article.

I'm contrary though so I make sure to take it mid stream each time :)

silver billet

Reaction score
The Cummins/Fleetguard/Amsoil tests done by Polaris Labs are SO much better and you get a free TBN included.

Or pick up at a local Cummins/Fleetguard shop.

I wouldn't say they're so much better? Only thing I hear on bitog is that blackstone doesn't do a good job with fuel dilution but that's not an issue with our engines anyway.

I find BL UOA's easier to read but maybe that's just because I've read over a hundred of them (well, maybe not that much but lots anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread