5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB3 appears to be charging only - No MP3s working.

mch

Reaction score
I just got my 2019 Rebel and it appears only the 2 front USB slots will play my MP3 music on my USB memory stick. I plugged my phone into USB slot in the center storage / armrest portion, and it started charging, but nothing happens with the stick. I used this same stick on my 2017 Ram Sport. Anyone hear of issues with this? I'd prefer to leave the 2 front USB ports for my Android and iPhone. I will try load another memory stick with some music and try that. Any other ideas? I was going to check if there was a Uconnect update, but couldn't find where the version number is even located.

Thanks

wwalljr

Reaction score
This is correct. Front 2 are media, the 1 under armrest is charge only. I have 2 in the back also: 1 media, 1 charge only. It is stated as such in the book. I don’t agree with it, but that’s how it is. I use a SanDisk Ultra Fit, plugged into back media USB port...It’s tiny.

mch

Reaction score
This is correct. Front 2 are media, the 1 under armrest is charge only. I have 2 in the back also: 1 media, 1 charge only. It is stated as such in the book. I don’t agree with it, but that’s how it is. I use a SanDisk Ultra Fit, plugged into back media USB port...It’s tiny.

Thanks for the info. Great idea about the SanDisk Ultra Fit. I will be ordering one.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Great idea about the SanDisk Ultra Fit. I will be ordering one.

I wish I could take credit for that idea ...Another member in a different thread suggested the ultra fit...it is a great idea though!

Reactions: mch

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that happen to me,lucky for me i was at the dealer lot when i went to pick up my new truck.he told me about that feature.so he plug my stick in the left slot...nothing!:oops:so he uses the right sided one and it works.so then i learned which one does and which doesnt.not the same!

DivrGuy

Reaction score
I just noticed this feature recently as well, when I decided to try keeping my music stick plugged in. To me, it seems like the one under the armrest should be for media, then the ones in the rear would be for charging. I keep my front ones for use with my phone and my wife to be able to charge or use carplay. The rear ones would make sense to have available for back seat passengers to plug in and charge. The one in the console, it doesn't make sense to have it charge-only. That should be the one you leave a music stick plugged into. That way no on has to open the armrest to charge up.
I wonder if there is a way to swap the one in the armrest with the music one in the back seat area. Maybe just swap the cables.

Reactions: mch

wwalljr

Reaction score
I just noticed this feature recently as well, when I decided to try keeping my music stick plugged in. To me, it seems like the one under the armrest should be for media, then the ones in the rear would be for charging. I keep my front ones for use with my phone and my wife to be able to charge or use carplay. The rear ones would make sense to have available for back seat passengers to plug in and charge. The one in the console, it doesn't make sense to have it charge-only. That should be the one you leave a music stick plugged into. That way no on has to open the armrest to charge up.
I wonder if there is a way to swap the one in the armrest with the music one in the back seat area. Maybe just swap the cables.

It would make a lot of sense to have the armrest a media port...someone please find a way...

Users who are viewing this thread