5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB source for audio

FloridaMan

Reaction score
When backseat passengers are charging their phones via USB ports in the backseat, their audio comes over the truck’s speakers. Is there a way to disable this feature? I do not want to listen to my son’s YouTube videos while I’m driving. I recently noticed this on a long trip. I was playing a podcast via CarPlay. Every time they hit play on their phones it would turn off my podcast and play their audio over the speakers. Any advice is appreciated!

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
I believe usb port 4 (passenger side rear} is not connected to the uconnect. I may be wrong though

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Rambox, 5.7l 4x4 3.92, Pano Sunroof, level 2 w/ 12", black appearance package, adv. Safety group, Power running boards, full ceramic tint
6" ProComp Stage 1 lift kit with 35x12.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires
20x10 - 24 fuel hostage wheels
Tazer DT, Lomax cover, Bed Rug.

*Future Mods"
Borla s-type exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Can

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Each plugged in media device (a phone for example) shows up as a selectable USB source. They are numbered in your source list in the head unit according to which USB port they are plugged into. You should be able to select whichever one you want to listen to. Is this not happening in your head unit?

FloridaMan

Reaction score
I was plugged into USB1 listening to a podcast. My son plugged into USB3. When he would play a song on movie the stereo would switch to USB3. If I hit play on my phone the stereo would switch back to USB1. But every time he would play something it would switch back to USB3. Very annoying! I want my kids to be able to charge their phones in the back seat without playing their audio over the stereo.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was plugged into USB1 listening to a podcast. My son plugged into USB3. When he would play a song on movie the stereo would switch to USB3. If I hit play on my phone the stereo would switch back to USB1. But every time he would play something it would switch back to USB3. Very annoying! I want my kids to be able to charge their phones in the back seat without playing their audio over the stereo.

USB3 will allow CarPlay and AA. USB4 will just charge so you get the best of both worlds so to speak. Some customers want rear passengers to have audio access, some obviously do not. Kudos to Ram for including both. You could always get a splitter and make them both use USB4.

FloridaMan

Reaction score
I certainly see the benefit of USB3 being CarPlay capable and will likely enjoy that feature at times. I would just like the option to disable it in the settings of UConnect. Same with USB2. I don't want my wife's phone to take over my stereo. Does anyone know if that is possible?

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Good grief that IS annoying. Is there a way for them to disconnect from the media connection in their phone I wonder? Kind of like if you are connected bluetooth to the vehicle and a call comes in and you want to just use the phone instead of the car, you can disconnect from the car audio via the phone.

Geobound

Reaction score
WHAAAAT??

I did not know this.........and think it kind of sucks!

What I hate is that every time I get in the truck with my iPhone (the one that is paired with the truck), it always asks me if I want to pair my phone? Why must I go through that process every time?

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How about getting a charge-only USB cable. These don't have the data lines, just power.

SirCochese

Reaction score
I just got a 2020 Ram 1500 and this is super-annoying. I hit the exact same thing as OP. Is there a setting or something that I can switch to stop this from happening?

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I would think you could select the audio source you want to listen to. Just select another source instead of the offending phone. Does this not work for you?

ChimneyJim

Reaction score
Glad I found this tread. Only had the truck a week and we took a longer drive Saturday. My daughter's phone was overriding me but my son's wasn't. I had to give her a 110 charger to use. I'll look into charge only cables.

Users who are viewing this thread