5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB power

rsmeanie

Reaction score
Is there a way to set the USB ports so they only come on when the truck is on? I want to use one of the ports to power a dashcam and they're on all the time.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel like mine shut off after 30 minutes or so. Went camping left phone plugged in, had to pushing to turning to accessory get them to charge for any length

James Cole

Reaction score
Some dashcams have an auto-off setting that stops recording when sitting still for sometime, check that out.

Flot

Reaction score
I plugged my dashcam into the rightmost lower USB port on the dash in my Laramie Sport as a test before I went all out with hardwiring to a 12v source, but realized I preferred it this way. (and it was very easy to tuck the usb wire around the window and dash)

The USB continues to power the camera for 2 hours after the last activity, including door lock/unlock or pulling on the door handle. In all honesty, this is great for me, as it allows my cheap dashcam to act like a parking security cam when out running errands, especially since I'll usually back in to parking spots. Have not noticed any battery drain issues so far.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plugged my dashcam into the rightmost lower USB port on the dash in my Laramie Sport as a test before I went all out with hardwiring to a 12v source, but realized I preferred it this way. (and it was very easy to tuck the usb wire around the window and dash)

The USB continues to power the camera for 2 hours after the last activity, including door lock/unlock or pulling on the door handle. In all honesty, this is great for me, as it allows my cheap dashcam to act like a parking security cam when out running errands, especially since I'll usually back in to parking spots. Have not noticed any battery drain issues so far.

oo, this a great idea!! I didn't realize it was 2 hours. that's an interesting find..I was looking for a setting but I guess its just 2 hours.

rsmeanie

Reaction score

Thanks! I'll try this before running an accessory line.

rsmeanie

Reaction score

I just tested this and after two hours it shut off. I would prefer 30-60 mins but this works fine and keeps me from running a separate ACC line. Thanks for the help.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Interesting. I did not have a chance to install my dash cam in the truck yet. Im not sure if a really want it running for 2 hrs after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online