5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Power Staying On After Truck is Off

Derek916

Reaction score
I installed a dash camera wired to one of the USB ports in the center console and I noticed while the truck is off the camera still appears to have power. Does power stay on when the truck is in off mode? I do have power steps and notice that it activated the camera when I open the door so I’m not sure if it’s actually staying on or turns off. I sat in the truck for about 5 minutes in off mode and was able to still turn on the camera.

I’m worried about coming out to a dead battery if the camera remains on.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's a feature of the majority of the USBs to keep power on for 1 hour after you lock up the truck, a benefit if you want to charge your phone while going to lunch is an example.

The one you should connect to that shuts off with the truck is the 12V connector on the top center of the dash. You can buy a USB/12V flush fit connector that fits perfectly in there.

It should be noted some trucks have different packages that effect how the USBs respond after shutting down, good idea to test yours to see how all of them works. Just remember that the 1 hour resets after your cycle through your accessories.

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
I installed a dash camera wired to one of the USB ports in the center console and I noticed while the truck is off the camera still appears to have power. Does power stay on when the truck is in off mode? I do have power steps and notice that it activated the camera when I open the door so I’m not sure if it’s actually staying on or turns off. I sat in the truck for about 5 minutes in off mode and was able to still turn on the camera.

I’m worried about coming out to a dead battery if the camera remains on.

Personally, I would recommend hardwiring your dash cam instead of using USB power. You can use a fuse tap in the fuse box underneath the steering wheel and run the wiring up the A-pillar/headliner. It’s very easy to do and makes for a much cleaner, reliable install. Depending on which fuse you tap in to, you can have it ignition switched or constantly powered. Depending on which dash cam you have, it may have a parking mode to passively record for an adjustable period of time after the ignition is turned off, if you choose the constantly powered route.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Personally, I would recommend hardwiring your dash cam instead of using USB power. You can use a fuse tap in the fuse box underneath the steering wheel and run the wiring up the A-pillar/headliner. It’s very easy to do and makes for a much cleaner, reliable install. Depending on which fuse you tap in to, you can have it ignition switched or constantly powered. Depending on which dash cam you have, it may have a parking mode to passively record for an adjustable period of time after the ignition is turned off, if you choose the constantly powered route.
Piggybacking off of this some dash cams have a setting that allows you to tell them to power off when the battery gets to a certain voltage as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or for an even cleaner/easier install you can buy one of the plug and play USB adapters that plug in behind rearview mirror. Then you only need a 1' USB cable. Powers on and off with ignition power

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As HSKR R/T mentioned, here you go, this is a pretty well reviewed device that makes "hard wiring" really easy.

There are threads here talking about it, also read the Amazon reviews by the RAM owners.

It's what I use. Over a year and a half of use with zero problems. No wires needing to be routed down A pillars no fuse taps or splicing needed. Camera turns on everytime I start the truck, and powers down every time I shut it off. If you want the dash cam running 24/7, it's not the option for you, some of the better dash cams have battery back up with motion or shock sensors that will start recording, if anything is detected, without the need for constant 12v power.

Ram-583

Reaction score
It's what I use. Over a year and a half of use with zero problems. No wires needing to be routed down A pillars no fuse taps or splicing needed. Camera turns on everytime I start the truck, and powers down every time I shut it off. If you want the dash cam running 24/7, it's not the option for you, some of the better dash cams have battery back up with motion or shock sensors that will start recording, if anything is detected, without the need for constant 12v power.
This is what you need. Works flawlessly and its its stock.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
It's a feature of the majority of the USBs to keep power on for 1 hour after you lock up the truck, a benefit if you want to charge your phone while going to lunch is an example.
That's actually a really cool feature. Good to know.

Derek916

Reaction score
Thanks!! I watched a video on how to do it and unfortunately that guy broke a plastic piece on the center part of his mirror. How did you do it and what tools did you use?

The person in the video said it would have been better if he had removed the side trimming first before attempting to take out the middle, which is what I plan to do

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I didn't break anything installing mine. I just used a small flat head screwdriver to pop the whole cover loose, then popped the small center piece off. The entire install took less than 5 minutes. I actually installed a USB splitter so I can have my Trailer TPMS monitor AND a dashcam plugged in at the same time. I don't have the dash cam yet, but wanted to have the ability to add it easily later.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks!! I watched a video on how to do it and unfortunately that guy broke a plastic piece on the center part of his mirror. How did you do it and what tools did you use?

The person in the video said it would have been better if he had removed the side trimming first before attempting to take out the middle, which is what I plan to do
I didn't break anything on mine either. Find a better video

2020_Ram_Limited

Reaction score
I realize this is old but does anyone know if this 1 hour off delay can be turned off? My dash cam is direct wired but I do keep a wireless CarPlay attached to a USB port. When this stays on my phone stays connected to the truck requiring me to unplug and plug the wireless adapter which really negates the reason I installed it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I realize this is old but does anyone know if this 1 hour off delay can be turned off? My dash cam is direct wired but I do keep a wireless CarPlay attached to a USB port. When this stays on my phone stays connected to the truck requiring me to unplug and plug the wireless adapter which really negates the reason I installed it.

There is talk about being able to switch circuit breakers to turn that off for the main connectors (besides to 12v socket which is confirmed), however nothing definitive.

Your only option is the one you are using, which is to unplug it or just ignore them message on your phone. They also sell small single line USB cut off switches, which are just a few bucks and instead of pulling the adapter each time, you just press a button.

Something like this, which also supports data: Make sure it works for both power and data.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Appreciate all this info. Anyone recommend a good moderate priced dash cam that will work with this splitter ok?
thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
5000+ good ratings and $80 on Amazon. Whats not to like?
I have two of them. GPS module so you can overlay speed and location on video. I use them in my kids vehicles.

I also have a USB dapter that plugs in behind mirror inline with mirror connector. I'm not using it anymore if you want to buy it. $20

Personally, I am using the fitcamfx on my Ram.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Appreciate all this info. Anyone recommend a good moderate priced dash cam that will work with this splitter ok?
thanks

this is the only way to go IMO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/