5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB ports not charging Note 8 in 2019 Ram

Taco77

Reaction score
I have a Galaxy Note 8 and I cannot use the phone and charge it at the same time. The battery goes down, not up. Waze especially wont allow the phone to charge. I have tried 6 different high end cables, usb a to c and usb c to c. I am going to have my radio shop install some cigarette lighter ports so I can charge my phone. The one cigarette lighter port on the top of the dashboard works but it is in the worst place.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Galaxy Note 8 and I cannot use the phone and charge it at the same time. The battery goes down, not up. Waze especially wont allow the phone to charge. I have tried 6 different high end cables, usb a to c and usb c to c. I am going to have my radio shop install some cigarette lighter ports so I can charge my phone. The one cigarette lighter port on the top of the dashboard works but it is in the worst place.
That phablet must have a heck of a current draw. When I use my iPhone with CarPlay, it charges quickly!

benbindokas

Reaction score
I have zero issues using the phone with nav, music, and messaging with apple carplay while charging at a decent rate simultaneously.

Try downloading one of the charging apps and see what rate your charging at.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both my wife and I have older Note 5s and have no issues... Waze is very power/data intensive, and if you happen to have a weak signal, even more drain. I had to go through several cables as well (none high end) before I found one that worked (also not high end).

Have you tried charging anything other than your phone to see it is a bad port?

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
My Galaxy 9+ charges at an ok pace using a USB-C to C cable while using Android auto with maps and music going continuously. Definitely not a quick charge, but it's sufficient to keep the battery from draining and still goes up a bit.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have a Note8 and plug it into the usb c using Android Auto-Waze/Maps. Almost 100% sure I've never had a problem with it charging at the same time.

Daniel

Reaction score
I have a samsung A5 2019 ans no problems with charging with waze on at the same time check with your dealer

JAK

Reaction score
My note 9 charges just fine with with usb c to usb c with android auto and waze running.

Kidder

Reaction score
Note 8 with no issues. I plug it in when I get in the truck so I can get Android Auto and then I put it to sleep (have to lay it sideways - nighty night!) on the charging pad. Even when not on the charging pad, it charges just fine. Ensure you have an OEM cable. Aftermarket ones do not work in my truck - Android Auto not available and it would slow charge.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm another Note 8 user with no issues. I've also charged my S7, Tab A 10" tablet, and various other devices on the different ports. No problems.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Have you tried a different phone to see if it's in fact the usb ports? And do you have the 110V outlet?

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
I’ve never had issues with my iPhone, although last weekend while on a couple hour drive my sons iPad was also loosing battery while charging and watching YouTube. He was using one of the rear usb power outlets, so I just figured they were weaker. I tried two genuine apple cables and both had the same result. My fix was to plug the 110 to USB adapter in the 110 receptical and he was happy again.

Users who are viewing this thread