5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB port stopped working all of a sudden

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

weird issue here. I drove to work this morning (about 30 min) and used the USB port with lightning cable for CarPlay. No problem. I get in my truck to come home, no connection. Not even charging my phone. Switched cables, switched USB ports, turned truck off and back on, nothing.

Put the same lightning cable into my 12 v charger and it worked fine.

so when I got home I let the truck sit for about 2 hours, and went try it again.
Worked fine.

Any ideas about this? Obviously wasn’t a fuse because it started working again.

Thanks!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dang I searched for awhile and didn’t see it. I’ll try again. Please post it if you can thanks for the help

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It was really hot today too. Heat index in the 100’s

gisboro

Reaction score
That used to happen to me a lot when I first got the truck, anything over 100f outside and I knew the USB wasn't going to work. Fix for me was getting my windows tinted. Hasn't happened since.

Parkerduplexes

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

weird issue here. I drove to work this morning (about 30 min) and used the USB port with lightning cable for CarPlay. No problem. I get in my truck to come home, no connection. Not even charging my phone. Switched cables, switched USB ports, turned truck off and back on, nothing.

so when I got home I let the truck sit for about 2 hours, and went try it again.
Worked fine.

Thanks!
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Worked fine in morning and then wouldn’t at lunchtime. Then after work it was all okay again. 2021 longhorn limited. 2200 miles.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My windows are tinted with 2 all around and a 6 inch brow.
Worked today tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

DBUC

Reaction score
Having a similar issue with the 3 most forward USB ports, the two near the cell phone holder and the one inside the upper center console. Drive 2.5 hours from Austin to Houston in the upper 80s with overcast and rain most of the drive. All three ports didn't work the entire drive. Tried the same lightning cable in one of the rear USB ports facing the back seat and that worked. 2021 Laramie with 1200 miles.

Boston

Reaction score
Try my wife's car for size. The Rear view camera is crap quality. In 90 degree weather not only with it flicker wildly, but you can also get the BSOD, Blue screen of death.......

For $240 part they can fix it.

DBUC

Reaction score
Having a similar issue with the 3 most forward USB ports, the two near the cell phone holder and the one inside the upper center console. Drive 2.5 hours from Austin to Houston in the upper 80s with overcast and rain most of the drive. All three ports didn't work the entire drive. Tried the same lightning cable in one of the rear USB ports facing the back seat and that worked. 2021 Laramie with 1200 miles.
Update: I tried the lightning to USB cord that came with my iPhone and another aftermarket cord and they both worked in all of the USB ports. I plugged in an adapter to the DC port and both cords worked there as well and the AC port using the Apple adapter cube. Looks like I was using a brand new, malfunctioned, cord.

Namerifsaxet1

Reaction score
22 limited 2500 and cooler temps. Rear usb ports haven't worked for a week. Is there a separate fuse?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
22 limited 2500 and cooler temps. Rear usb ports haven't worked for a week. Is there a separate fuse?
There is a thread about fuse boxes on here. As I recall, I think I saw rear USB listed. It lists circuit breaker 5 as rear/ console charge only USB. The picture has no CB 5.

Edit: The link posted in that thread is different than the 23 owners manual. For 23 anyway, there is no CB 5. Fuse F48 feeds rear USB. Check your manual.

Last edited:

Towman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Worked fine.

Thanks!
I have a 2019 dodge ram 3500 laramie and have been having the same problem, my USB ports would work for a while and then stop. Couldn't use my phone through them or play music on a USB stick, any ideas?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 dodge ram 3500 laramie and have been having the same problem, my USB ports would work for a while and then stop. Couldn't use my phone through them or play music on a USB stick, any ideas?
I would change the USB media hub.

Users who are viewing this thread