5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB media hub front - thermistor bypass

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I pulled this USB hub out of my truck last night, and replaced it with the newest model due to shutdown during hot days.

It seems to be the consensus that there is a thermistor which will shut down the USB ports when a certain temperature it reached. Can someone help me identify the thermistor from these pictures?

I am interested in bypassing it on the old hub if possible. Thanks

IMG_4459.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4460.jpeg
    IMG_4460.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 23

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I google searched thermister images, and the part over C23, left of the word "flex" looks similar to one style. I certainly don't know though.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I google searched thermister images, and the part over C23, left of the word "flex" looks similar to one style. I certainly don't know though.
I know it’s tough. Most of the pictures look like this. Nothing like that on the board

IMG_4464.jpeg

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It was hard to find again, because there are hundreds of different styles of thermisters. Once I found this one again, which is similar to another I found, it wouldn't let me write on the response. Most are like your picture, but there are this type, some just rectangular with no exposed wires, and some that look like resisters. I just thought this looks similar to the part I pointed out in my first post. Like I said, I really don't know.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A thermistor provides a specific resistance based on temperature.

I seriously doubt you're going to identify it, let alone be able to "bypass" it.

Here's a common SMD thermistor. There are others that are large enough to have markings that may indicate ref temp. Would need the schematic and/or a high res image of the board to see if any of the Resistors have appropriate markings.

Assuming you're skilled and equipped with SMD removal/replacement techniques..

1688538573075.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It is truly hard to say without a schematic.

Users who are viewing this thread