5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB C slow charging

snj1013

Reaction score
I've tried 2 cables and neither seem to charge fast on the USB C ports. I have a Galaxy S8 and while using Android Auto, my battery percentage doesn't increase at all on 20-30 min drives. On the other USB ports, my phone charges well. Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone know the specs on the ports?

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
All USB ports carry the same power output by design, which makes this kind of strange.

I have a USB Type-C to Lightning cable and my iPhone charges really quick with it. Maybe yours is triggering something to tell it to lower the power output to just 5w or less. I’d be interested to see what the outcome is.

LUXTRUK

Reaction score
Yes this odd. I use an iPhone X. My truck has wireless charging but I use Apple CarPlay every time I drive my truck. So I'm getting a double charge which I wish was different. I wish either USB charging or Wireless charging one or the other would disable while using CarPlay. The perfect place to put my phone is on the wireless charger. So even while plugged in to use CarPlay the blue light comes on showing wireless charging is also charging. I get fast charge times but it's taking a toll on iPhone X battery. Before I bought the truck my battery health was 98%. After using the phone in the truck in for about 3k miles it's dropped to 87%. My battery is taking a beating from constant charging from USB and wireless. My phone battery took a 10% health hit really quick from use in my truck while it only dropped 2% in the first year with iPhone X without my new RAM. The battery is always charged and fast which is opposite of your problem but I hate it's killing my battery health so fast. If anything, if you have wireless charging then you should be seeing what I am unless I should be putting phone somewhere besides the wireless charging pad which is really convenient. You can see it's plugged in. After picture it went straight to wishes charging pad.
0529e88afbe8dff89347be5f2f4b1f45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Don’t rely on the software reporting that accurately. Mine has been at 86% battery health since the update launched that feature, and I’ve used my truck to charge it many times over the 6k miles I’ve had it.

It’s not a reliable measure of battery performance. It’s merely an indication of software interpretation.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's usually down to the wires. Make sure you buy the wires that offers quick charge capabilities.

Hunts99

Reaction score
For me, in running AA and my S9+, it doesn't seem to charge either. My thoughts are that the charging is keeping par with the AA usage (maps and audio can take a toll on battery). I am not too worried about that, keeping battery even is what I would expect.

The test would be if you are getting the fast charge w/o AA running. I use the wireless charging almost exclusively when not running AA so I am not sure if I am getting the fast charging w/o AA.

snj1013

Reaction score
My vehicle doesn't have wireless charging so I have to use one of the USB ports. I seem to be getting a better charge from the USB-A port compared USB-C port. I have another cable coming tomorrow as an additional test

AartWessels

Reaction score
Not related to USB-C, though related to charging:
I charge my vaper in the car, and I notice a major difference in charging between the USB ports in the front, and those in the back. I can only charge the vaper with the ports in the back, where my iphone also charges fine with the USB ports in the front. So at least in my truck, there must be a difference between the current of these ports I guess.

snj1013

Reaction score
Just got a 3rd cable and it does the same. My phone stays at its current charge level using the USB-C port. I'll try my wife's Galaxy S10 and see if it is any different than my S8 next

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think charge times are so damn slow because the front ports interface through a mini-USB port connection behind the scenes. The rear ports I'm not sure of.

Yes this odd. I use an iPhone X. My truck has wireless charging but I use Apple CarPlay every time I drive my truck. So I'm getting a double charge which I wish was different. I wish either USB charging or Wireless charging one or the other would disable while using CarPlay. The perfect place to put my phone is on the wireless charger. So even while plugged in to use CarPlay the blue light comes on showing wireless charging is also charging. I get fast charge times but it's taking a toll on iPhone X battery. Before I bought the truck my battery health was 98%. After using the phone in the truck in for about 3k miles it's dropped to 87%. My battery is taking a beating from constant charging from USB and wireless. My phone battery took a 10% health hit really quick from use in my truck while it only dropped 2% in the first year with iPhone X without my new RAM. The battery is always charged and fast which is opposite of your problem but I hate it's killing my battery health so fast. If anything, if you have wireless charging then you should be seeing what I am unless I should be putting phone somewhere besides the wireless charging pad which is really convenient. You can see it's plugged in. After picture it went straight to wishes charging pad.

That's odd. You shouldn't be able to charge with over cable and wirelessly at the same time.

LUXTRUK

Reaction score
So does anyone else see their phone starts charging as soon as it's plugged in to use CarPlay or AndroidAuto and then if you sir it conveniently on Wireless charging pad the light comes on indicating you are actually getting two charge currents at once? Nothing indicates the wired connection to use CarPlay stops charging and is only at a data port while wireless charging works?? I would think if my iPhone X would only receive one charge input that it stop charging for a few seconds when I remove it from wireless charger then it would kick back to USB charging. I don't ever see in a break in charging leading me to believe it's getting a double charge. It also charges very fast. So much so that I rarely plug my phone in while in the house now and like I said earlier I've seen a huge degrade in battery ok battery health in about 8 months and 5k miles versus the first year the iPhone X was new before the new RAM it was literally still at 98% battery health before using a combination of CarPlay and wireless charging for 15-20 miles per day for the days I drive my RAM. I've asked local service but they don't seem to understand these loaded trucks with 12" Uconnect, RAM Charger Wireless and Preferred Package 27M which adds all the other really nice electronic features to the truck. I could put my phone down in the bottom of the deep console and have trouble getting it when I want it but simply placing it right on top of the Ramcharger holding clips is perfect.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score

This is a very interesting engineering consideration. If I was designing the vehicle I would probably leave it up to phone manufacturer to mitigate this "dual charging". Since the condition can occur anywhere you put your phone on a wireless charger and have it plugged in at the same time, I wouldn't count on RAM to allow for this and shut one off in lieu of the other. Apple and/or Android should fix this IMO. I never even though of this as an issue outside the vehicle. I will check my Galaxy S9+ on my home wireless pad and plug it in at the same time. Thank you so much for pointing this whole thing out!!!!

UPDATE: I just tested this on my kitchen counter. If I put my Android on the wireless pad it starts charging wireless. If I then plug it in at the same time it displays a message that it is switching over to cable charging!! If I have it plugged in first, then put it on the pad, it just keeps cable charging. If I then unplug the cable, it displays a message that it is switching to wireless. This appears to be an iPhone miss perhaps?

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Can you just turn the phone 180 degrees so the back is facing toward you and the wireless charger isn’t charging it as well? I mean it’s not ideal but might do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread