5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB-C ports

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They should be more than that, as a standard USB-C is rated at 100W.
This is incorrect. USB-C is a physical kind of port.
You are referring to USB-PD.

Some of the ports are just data ports and others are charging ports. If I had to guess I would say it's around 5-10 watts per port as they are designed to charge phones, not laptops and they definitely do not support quick charge of any kind due to the lack of charging chips required to safely charge devices are higher rates.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They provide 18W. I tested this by plugging in my laptop and viewing the system profile; this displays what it’s charging at via USB C. This is with a Mac, but you may be able to do the same with Windows, Linux, Commodore 64, etc.

You could also use a USB power meter (I don’t have one).

BNeal

Reaction score
Thanks, all... I purchased a MagSafe cup holder charger/bracket for iPhone 13. The directions with the charger indicate that I need to use a 20w port - so just wondering what the ones on my truck are rated at. I'll do some more digging...

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, all... I purchased a MagSafe cup holder charger/bracket for iPhone 13. The directions with the charger indicate that I need to use a 20w port - so just wondering what the ones on my truck are rated at. I'll do some more digging...
They’re rated at 18W. I’ve used three MagSafe chargers—Apple’s, Course Motorsports, and Mous’s—and they all work. I’ll have to do another test to see which charge at 15W (vs 7.5W).

Any MagSafe charger should work; worst case, you’ll get 7.5W charging instead of 15W, but it’ll still charge your phone.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah any phone should charge fine, but don't expect a laptop to charge just because it accept USB-C as a charger connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online