5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Audio - Not remembering last song played

rick619

Reaction score
When playing music from my USB drive:

If I leave it playing when I shut off the truck, it will lose my spot and start over at the first song on the drive.

If I remember, I can change to any other sources (FM or Sirius) and then it will remember where I left off.

Is there a fix for this? Or is this normal. Mine is a new '23 and hasn't been to the dealer yet for service. 8" screen if that matters. I'm at about 2300 miles, so probably take it in when I hit 5K and hopefully have them check it for recalls.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
Is your drive set up with folders or is your music all in one folder?
I had a similar issue and when I removed the folders it got much better.
My issue was the song playing for a few seconds and then starting over, so not exactly the same.
I feel like others had to issue you are having and getting rid of folders helped.

Jake1050

Reaction score
I've noticed that when I switch to the USB thumb drive there is no sound until I adjust the volume up or down.

rick619

Reaction score
Is your drive set up with folders or is your music all in one folder?
I had a similar issue and when I removed the folders it got much better.
My issue was the song playing for a few seconds and then starting over, so not exactly the same.
I feel like others had to issue you are having and getting rid of folders helped.

That sounds correct. I have a ton of folders. Each artist has a folder. Plus a folder for a playlist. I'll have to figure a way to re-organize.

Jake1050

Reaction score
I don't have this problem.
That's weird. I tried it out again today to be sure and it was on xm I switched to USB.... no sound though the screen did show the song info. Adjust the volume knob one notch and the music is heard.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Mine forgets where the usb stops about every 10 to 20 key cycles. So i just carry a list and make a mark where it stopped. It is a hassle but gives me something to do on creating the list

rick619

Reaction score
That's weird. I tried it out again today to be sure and it was on xm I switched to USB.... no sound though the screen did show the song info. Adjust the volume knob one notch and the music is heard.

That's a weird one. What is the radio size in yours? Ever ask the dealer about that one? Either defective, or might be fixed by an update.

Jake1050

Reaction score
It's the 8 point something inch screen. I'm not worried about having to hit the volume to start playing MP3. It's such a small nuisance.

5genJeff

Reaction score
When playing music from my USB drive:

If I leave it playing when I shut off the truck, it will lose my spot and start over at the first song on the drive.

If I remember, I can change to any other sources (FM or Sirius) and then it will remember where I left off.

Is there a fix for this? Or is this normal. Mine is a new '23 and hasn't been to the dealer yet for service. 8" screen if that matters. I'm at about 2300 miles, so probably take it in when I hit 5K and hopefully have them check it for recalls.
I have the exact same issue on my '23 with 8.4" non-nav (build 00.246.71.04.00). Around 80% of the time it cant remember where it left off and restarts at song #1 on the USB. It does occasionally remember it though. Tried setting up the software update mechanism using home wi-fi but that doesn't work either. After typing in the password it always comes back as connection not successful. Tried several different Access Points with the same results. Road trip to dealer appears necessary.

rick619

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue on my '23 with 8.4" non-nav (build 00.246.71.04.00). Around 80% of the time it cant remember where it left off and restarts at song #1 on the USB. It does occasionally remember it though. Tried setting up the software update mechanism using home wi-fi but that doesn't work either. After typing in the password it always comes back as connection not successful. Tried several different Access Points with the same results. Road trip to dealer appears necessary.

Per above, sounds like if you move all your music to the root of the flash drive (no folders) that might fix it. I haven't tried this yet. I just try to remember to change it to Sirius or FM radio before shutting off the truck.

I plan to take mine in at 5000 miles for it's first oil change. Crossing fingers if they can fix this, I doubt it.

5genJeff

Reaction score
Per above, sounds like if you move all your music to the root of the flash drive (no folders) that might fix it. I haven't tried this yet. I just try to remember to change it to Sirius or FM radio before shutting off the truck.

I plan to take mine in at 5000 miles for it's first oil change. Crossing fingers if they can fix this, I doubt it.
I tried the "change to radio before shutoff" trick for the last week. It works better, but of the 15 times I did it, three times when I changed back to USB after starting the truck, it still reverted to the first song on the USB stick.
I might try the "all files in the root" method, but it will take some work to extract all 200 files in my playlist from the folders they are in.

Users who are viewing this thread