5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPR catch can

Stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
Morning.
Disclaimer before I start. I am just using the “avg mpg” on the dash. I recently installed a UPR catch can in my 19 ram. While daily driving around town, the gauge has gone from 17-18 mpg to 6-10 mpg. After double checking everything there isn’t any leaks or anything out of sorts. What would cause this drastic change and what should I do here? Am I missing something?
Thanks

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd double check all the hoses that they're fully seated. Is there an o-ring that seals the 2 parts of the can together? If not, that could be the source. I don't think I've ever seen the mileage change that much even if there was a leak in the hose. Also take a look to make sure nothing else was disconnected or loosened up.

Stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
I'd double check all the hoses that they're fully seated. Is there an o-ring that seals the 2 parts of the can together? If not, that could be the source. I don't think I've ever seen the mileage change that much even if there was a leak in the hose. Also take a look to make sure nothing else was disconnected or loosened up.
I doubled check everything and nothing was off or loose. Checked the can for orings, everything was good. Hooked it back up stock, took it for a test drive and the gauge was reading 16.5-17 mpg by the time I was done. I’m scratching my head right now.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I doubled check everything and nothing was off or loose. Checked the can for orings, everything was good. Hooked it back up stock, took it for a test drive and the gauge was reading 16.5-17 mpg by the time I was done. I’m scratching my head right now.
Something is\was loose.

It's possible the can is not airtight itself so it's losing pressure not from the hoses.
You shouldn't notice ANY mpg difference unless you break out a calculator and even then it would be tops +\- 1 mpg

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have the hoses hooked up correctly? And the ball valve on the bottom of the catch can (the drain valve) is closed correct? I never saw any loss of MPGs with it and my Daughter has the exact same set up that I installed - with no loss in MPGs. My bet is you have a loose hose or the drain valve on the bottom of the can is open.

The drain valve handle is closed if it is 90 degrees from the drain hose. If the drain valve handle is in link with the hose, then it is open and op don’t want that except it drain the can when required.

Last edited:

Stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
You have the hoses hooked up correctly? And the ball valve on the bottom of the catch can (the drain valve) is closed correct? I never saw any loss of MPGs with it and my Daughter has the exact same set up that I installed - with no loss in MPGs. My bet is you have a loose hose or the drain valve on the bottom of the can is open.
I doubled checked the hose la to make sure they were going to the correct location. I took everything apart and checked all of the orings. Everything was good. If I had a leak, the truck would run terrible. At all aspects of driving, the truck runs like it did before I installed the cam. I put the can back in and filled the truck up. I am going to drive it all week and see what happens. I also disconnected the negative on the battery for ten minutes. Not sure if it helps or not.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I doubled checked the hose la to make sure they were going to the correct location. I took everything apart and checked all of the orings. Everything was good. If I had a leak, the truck would run terrible. At all aspects of driving, the truck runs like it did before I installed the cam. I put the can back in and filled the truck up. I am going to drive it all week and see what happens. I also disconnected the negative on the battery for ten minutes. Not sure if it helps or not.
Can you hear any sounds of a vacuum? If you had a leak you should be able to hear it.
Well, my daughter drained her UPR and left the valve open. She started the truck and it ran perfectly. My Son just happened to be standing there and he could hear a high pitched vacuum sound, had her pop the hood while still running, found the issue, closed the valve and the engine never hiccuped once. If you had a leak you should be able to hear it hissing away while the engine is running.

Stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
Can you hear any sounds of a vacuum? If you had a leak you should be able to hear it. Start the engine and then open the drain valve for a co

Well, my daughter drained her UPR and left the valve open. She started the truck and it ran perfectly. My Son just happened to be standing there and he could hear a high pitched vacuum sound, had her pop the hood while still running, found the issue, closed the valve and the engine never hiccuped once. If you had a leak you should be able to hear it hissing away while the engine is running.
I will check again tomorrow before I head out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can also do a soapy water test on the hoses\connectors I think. Depending on where you mounted it might not be able to access them safely though while running.

I wonder if you might have a bad fitting in use?

If it's still wonky I would see if you can get it replaced.

Does your setup have any check valves? If so make sure they open up when you blow into them and you can't suck air from the wrong end.

Stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
Can also do a soapy water test on the hoses\connectors I think. Depending on where you mounted it might not be able to access them safely though while running.

I wonder if you might have a bad fitting in use?

If it's still wonky I would see if you can get it replaced.

Does your setup have any check valves? If so make sure they open up when you blow into them and you can't suck air from the wrong end.
I don’t think it has check valves. I didn’t try the soap and water trick, but I will definitely give it a try tomorrow. All of the fittings seemed fine. No damage or out of sorts. I will try and see if I can hear any odd noises tomorrow as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you hear any sounds of a vacuum? If you had a leak you should be able to hear it.

FWIW, I accidentally drove my truck around for several days with the drain valve in my catch can open, and was no noticeable decrease in fuel mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread