5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPR Catch can review long term

Kob0583

Reaction score
1510ab852be173dbcde8b929e52fed14.jpg

So I’m doing long term tracking of the UPR CC and I’ll update it every 1000 miles. So far it’s been great, cost $130 from the UPR site and the first 1000 miles have shown 20ml collection. For reference a shot poured from a jigger is around 44ml. Amount collected will vary from truck to truck based on environmental factors, type of driving so while I’ll give my results others will vary. Someone mentioned build up on the outlet side of the can hose I have not experienced this but will keep checking every so often. What CC you use or don’t use makes no difference to me but thought it would be cool to give everyone long term results so they can decide if it’s worth it or not for them. I also plan on doing sample analysis as well. Let me know if you have questions or inputs. And yes I know I probably have to much time on my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spiG

Reaction score
Good to know. By chance that other thread has two different baffle systems I believe. Does your's have the "2 step" baffle or just a single design?

Kob0583

Reaction score
Good to know. By chance that other thread has two different baffle systems I believe. Does your's have the "2 step" baffle or just a single design?

I have the offset baffle.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
1510ab852be173dbcde8b929e52fed14.jpg

So I’m doing long term tracking of the UPR CC and I’ll update it every 1000 miles. So far it’s been great, cost $130 from the UPR site and the first 1000 miles have shown 20ml collection. For reference a shot poured from a jigger is around 44ml. Amount collected will vary from truck to truck based on environmental factors, type of driving so while I’ll give my results others will vary. Someone mentioned build up on the outlet side of the can hose I have not experienced this but will keep checking every so often. What CC you use or don’t use makes no difference to me but thought it would be cool to give everyone long term results so they can decide if it’s worth it or not for them. I also plan on doing sample analysis as well. Let me know if you have questions or inputs. And yes I know I probably have to much time on my hands.

I was looking at the Mishimoto because it has really good reviews, but I am not keen on mounting the catch can to the radiator. I like the UPR with the Z bracket, and I read a few reviews that indicated the bracket is sturdy and holds up nice. Is your UPR mounted with the Z bracket, or with one of the other mounting hardware?

PS. I'm picking up my truck tomorrow so I'll need you to drive 5,000 to 10,000 miles over the next couple of days so I can see the results of your long term tracking. :ROFLMAO:

Kob0583

Reaction score
It is a z bracket and yes it seems solid but it’s the first 1000 miles. So I cant say long term yet but so far no issues. Mishmoto is very good from what I’ve read but I do t think it’s going to be a significant difference. The one advantage to a radiator mount is the PCV hose is longer which would give the vapor longer to cool before going through the baffle.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Update for the next 1000 Miles the can collected 10ml so half of the first 1000 not sure why possibly weather. So to date 30ml in 2000 miles. Next update in a 1000. Once I have 50ml collected I’ll run it through a separation funnel to determine the water to oil content. So far after soaking a magnet no remarkable metal content, which is what I expected but never hurts to check.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish I had kept all my drained fluid out of my cc. Almost 20k on truck had CC on since 500 miles. last time I looked in intake still clean.
Keep up the good review

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been running UPR catch cans in our family 2018, 2019 and my 2020 Rams. Over 50,000 total miles with UPR catch cans and never a problem. Have you noticed how running a catch can helps keep the rear exhaust outlets clean by catching all the gunk?

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I have had UPR, Billet tech, and now the Mishimoto and they have all done a good job catching what they should, even converted the UPR to work on my can am x3 when i started running e85

JackWaggon

Reaction score
I have had UPR, Billet tech, and now the Mishimoto and they have all done a good job catching what they should, even converted the UPR to work on my can am x3 when i started running e85
No to steer this thread the wrong way, but Stryker I was looking at the Billet Tech prior to hearing about the UPR brand. For the look I am wanting it seems the Billet Tech is almost $100 more. Do you feel that the cost of the Billet Tech is worth that price difference or is the UPR just as good overall? Thanks.

Kob0583

Reaction score
d6a3746c965a241c5fcf733bb76cf70d.jpg

So the update on the UPR CC. 3000 miles and drained 20ml today so 50ml in the first 3000 miles. I plan to keep updating until 6000 or through a temperature change as I’ve been told it will fill more in colder temps. I’m in North FL so I can’t give you guys a true cold weather measurement until I move back to MN next year. After 6k I’ll run what I’ve collected through a sep funnel and try to give the breakdown of the water to oil content. I can say so far, I’m glad this isn’t being recycled back into my intake. It may not stop the light ngoni from working but it sure can’t be good for it either.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
No to steer this thread the wrong way, but Stryker I was looking at the Billet Tech prior to hearing about the UPR brand. For the look I am wanting it seems the Billet Tech is almost $100 more. Do you feel that the cost of the Billet Tech is worth that price difference or is the UPR just as good overall? Thanks.
IMO no the design is almost the same, the UPR had a built in drain in the bottom of the can, UPR had a different baffle system inside of the can which I personally liked better and also the UPR when I bought it offered an extension to the lower can so you would have great capacity.

All minor stuff but at the end of the day a catch can is a catch can and it performed just as well

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question but, how necessary are these? A quick Google search isn't very helpful.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, it's like asking "boxers or briefs" as you will get hundreds of different responses until you run into the guy who likes to go commando - which changes the whole subject. My personal opinion - and you will get many of them - is a catch can keeps the chrome on the rear exhaust tips clean and does keep crap from going back into your engine. Two benefits I'm good with so I run catch cans on all our Rams. But then there are others who would disagree - I respect their opinion just as I would hope they respect mine.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Well, it's like asking "boxers or briefs" as you will get hundreds of different responses until you run into the guy who likes to go commando - which changes the whole subject. My personal opinion - and you will get many of them - is a catch can keeps the chrome on the rear exhaust tips clean and does keep crap from going back into your engine. Two benefits I'm good with so I run catch cans on all our Rams. But then there are others who would disagree - I respect their opinion just as I would hope they respect mine.
Fair enough. My Google search makes it seem like your truck is doomed without one. Makes sense to play into the fear factor when selling products I guess but I appreciate the straight up opinion. I'll have to read up on it more.

ammdrew

Reaction score
So no doom and gloom for not running one. But the straight simple talk is oil in a gas engine intake reduce the octane number of the fuel. If this was a super charged monster it could be destructive. IMO for the money it is the right choice. Mine was always pretty full and I would check about every 5-8k. I would see more when we did heavy towing.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Update 4000 miles drained a little over 20ml so now at just over 70mil in total.
c5ca63f4ac8592ef3c5c772913b40825.jpg

Amerinamese

Reaction score
How much does the can itself hold? Do you need to drain it every 1000 or can you wait for oil changes around every 5k?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Kob0583

Reaction score
How much does the can itself hold? Do you need to drain it every 1000 or can you wait for oil changes around every 5k?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

At the amount I’m getting every 1000, I would say 3000-4000 is the longest I would wait because of the offset baffle the UPR CC uses. On cans with a non offset you could wait longer. I prefer the offset as it keeps the oil from getting pulled across the baffle and out the exit port. It’s catching an average of 17.5ml every 1000 miles with how I drive. The amount can vary by environmental and driving factors so if you add one the amount you’ll drain will probably vary some. They are vary easy to drain.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The engine isn't doomed, but the oil vapor does lower the octane of the fuel being burned and eventually causes build up. The Hemi still has it's injectors in the intake so the valves get continually washed down, but if this was a direct injection engine there would be major build up on the intake valves. The only reason catch cans aren't on all vehicles is most people would never empty them.

Users who are viewing this thread