5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upper control Arms necessary?

Mattdunne1985

Reaction score
I’m about to install Fox 2.0 coilovers to level out my truck. My question is do I need new control arms for the 2” lift or are they only really necessary if you’re lifting with a spacer? I can’t seem to find anything stating one way or the other. I see trucks with them where they sit great and other where they weren’t sitting correctly and they went back to stock UCAs. Just want to “get it right” the first time. Thanks.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, I have Mopar 2” UCA’s. They come with the 2” Mopar lift kit. I bought them separately as I decided to go with the RC 2” lifted struts. For peace of mind, they are perfect me. I don’t do any hardcore off roading, just fire roads and medium washouts, not at high speeds either. It was a value purchase for me as I got both for ~$120 shipped.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spend the coin and do them. Plus depending year and mileage you won't need to worry about upper ball joints anytime soon. I'd go RC UCA's personally.

Mattdunne1985

Reaction score
No, I have Mopar 2” UCA’s. They come with the 2” Mopar lift kit. I bought them separately as I decided to go with the RC 2” lifted struts. For peace of mind, they are perfect me. I don’t do any hardcore off roading, just fire roads and medium washouts, not at high speeds either. It was a value purchase for me as I got both for ~$120 shipped.
Wow cheap.

Mattdunne1985

Reaction score
Spend the coin and do them. Plus depending year and mileage you won't need to worry about upper ball joints anytime soon. I'd go RC UCA's personally.
21 with 33k miles. I was looking at RC. KSP. And Zone. Don’t want to spend $500. I don’t do any off-roading. Mainly train tracks and crappy roads in so cal. Throwing 34” Baja Boss on there so I think I want to do it all at once for the alignment afterwards.

Mattdunne1985

Reaction score
Yup. Got a good deal on them. They will do just fine for a while. Down the road I’m gonna go 3.5” lift so didn’t need overkill at the moment.
My local offer up has some new old stock pro comps with the uniball for like $300. Haven’t heard great things about uniball though. Another has the zone for $400. So I’m trying to spark a deal. We will see.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m about to install Fox 2.0 coilovers to level out my truck. My question is do I need new control arms for the 2” lift or are they only really necessary if you’re lifting with a spacer? I can’t seem to find anything stating one way or the other. I see trucks with them where they sit great and other where they weren’t sitting correctly and they went back to stock UCAs. Just want to “get it right” the first time. Thanks.
Assuming the Fox's are similar to Eibachs, they'll be a couple inches longer than the oem strut. You definitely need to replace the uca to accommodate the extra suspension travel

Users who are viewing this thread