5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading the upgraded 12" radio - possible?

whelmed

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wrapped up my 5" to 12" screen upgrade. So a shout out to @Jimmy07 who I got my 5" to 12" harness wires / temp control wire for the upgrade. He's the best, thank you again Jimmy.

So I knew that this would happen. The moment I make something better, I want more. I'm realizing that the base stereo is just not cutting it for me bass wise, so I think I need more. It's the standard stereo with no sub and no options at all. Called a local audio shop and they said to add a woofer under the back seat and to get a module to allow a separate amplifier in there for the woofer and door speakers would run about $1500 which doesn't seem too bad but got me wondering. I've got a '22 5.7L quad cab, so I have the ANC box under the drivers seat and had thought that I would just need an amp, box w/ woofers in the back and a bCH3 cable to tap off of that silver box under the drivers seat.

So the question I have is, given I have the base speaker setup (from the 5" screen), and I now have the 12" screen - what's the best way to tackle getting better sound?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Just like the audio-shop said, Sound processor(the module, I assume), Amp and sub, Amp and 4 new door speakers(change the dash speakers too, they're cheap and make a huge difference)
$1500 sounds like a reasonable price, Just make sure you get quality products. (JL, Kicker, JBL, Infinity, *FOCAL*[donthinkso] etc')
I had the Alpine system and just changed the door speakers to Infinity Kappa. It was amazing! no need for any amp upgrade or sub(front speakers in the alpine are subwoofers too), but you will need better power in the base system...

You can definitely start with door speakers upgrade and go from there. It'll be a lot better and it might be enough for you...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on what was all.inckuded in the $1500 quote, it's either good, or bad. If that was all the equipment, sub box, sub, amp, wire harness, and install. With good quality components that's a good price.

Depending on how much better sound you want, all new door and dash speakers and a 4-channel amp for those as well would be your best option.

I'm happy with my Alpine system with upgraded front door(CDT) and dash(infinity reference) speakers. But you may spend just as much money buying all the factory components to convert as you would on an aftermarket system that will blow the factory system out of the water for sound quality

whelmed

Reaction score
I did a bunch of searching and figure it's a fun project to do with the kids. Found all the parts and things to get the sub in there.

So for the other 6 speakers - it seems like there is a 'kicker kit' which is the 6x9's and dash speakers. I'm debating taking a crack at it. You think I'd need an amp for those speakers? They're 4 ohm so they should draw more power from the stock amp. Just don't want to overheat things is all.

Users who are viewing this thread