5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading the stock HK system.

Kurant

Reaction score
Has anyone gone with a full build yet? I haven't seen much yet. I was planning on going with a single sub and leaving the rest, but the more I get into this build the more I'm leaning further and further to replacing all 4 doors with Focal components.

I bought the sub Friday. Rockford T1S1 2ohm. Have a VX 1000/5i amp. I'm going to go with the AmpPRO 4, and possibly a DSP, Audison Bit Ten or a JL Fix 86.

My biggest question is about deleting speakers all together, and if it does indeed cause issues. I've read some guys use resistors to replace the stock speaker, but what about just removing it all together?

RichInMN

Reaction score
So far I think I've seen 2 full builds on this forum... the pictures of the depaneled doors and back wall have been really helpful for my own planning - I'll be doing mine later in the spring, big-time.

tuner1129

Reaction score
Very interested in this aswell I have a big horn and these speaker lack quality.

Kurant

Reaction score
So far I think I've seen 2 full builds on this forum... the pictures of the depaneled doors and back wall have been really helpful for my own planning - I'll be doing mine later in the spring, big-time.

Any idea where the posts are? I haven't been able to track one down..

RichInMN

Reaction score
A lot of good info in the longer threads, which tend to link out to other threads, but you have to wade through them:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/2019-ram-hk-system-complete-system-upgrade.3972/

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/aftermarket-amp-and-12”-sub-install-in-a-hk-limited.3399/

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/5th-gen-stock-stereo-upgrade-options.926/

To some extent we are all blazing our own trails at this point - I don't expect my build to be hurdle-free for sure.

Adrianp89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I really like the AP4, the DSR1 would be more bang for your buck if using a DSP, since it has a full one built in.

Either piece makes the install a breeze. No resistors needed.

Kurant

Reaction score
While I really like the AP4, the DSR1 would be more bang for your buck if using a DSP, since it has a full one built in.

Either piece makes the install a breeze. No resistors needed.

I originally planned on using the DSR1. If you go to the iDatalink forums, there are quite a few reported issues there. The tech support manager frequents the forums there, and he also has acknowledged issues, one of them being the DSR1 does not retain ANC..

Adrianp89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I originally planned on using the DSR1. If you go to the iDatalink forums, there are quite a few reported issues there. The tech support manager frequents the forums there, and he also has acknowledged issues, one of them being the DSR1 does not retain ANC..

Why would it retain ANC? It is next to impossible to get the speakers to reproduce correctly when going after market. That isn’t an issue, just a side affect of going aftermarket.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much contribution does the stock subwoofer have on ANC vs the rest of the speakers?

After a solid drive yesterday, the real weak spot is the stock sub. The rest isn't too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread