5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading speakers for dummies

Tlaug01

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out as I am not knowledgeable in the car audio department. I have the 8.4" 6 speaker system. I am just looking to upgrade speakers for a better sound/quality. If I'm understanding correctly the factory amp only supplies so much power to each speaker? So when looking for speakers does anyone have any info on what to look for? Ie (60$ set that can handle 50w/rms or the 40$ set that can handle 30w/rms) if the amp can only supply so much to each speaker I dont want to over pay for speakers I really don't need? Or do I? I have no idea...

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out as I am not knowledgeable in the car audio department. I have the 8.4" 6 speaker system. I am just looking to upgrade speakers for a better sound/quality. If I'm understanding correctly the factory amp only supplies so much power to each speaker? So when looking for speakers does anyone have any info on what to look for? Ie (60$ set that can handle 50w/rms or the 40$ set that can handle 30w/rms) if the amp can only supply so much to each speaker I dont want to over pay for speakers I really don't need? Or do I? I have no idea...
Go to crutchfields website type in your truck and it give you aftermarket speakers that are drop in replacements.

Tlaug01

Reaction score
Go to crutchfields website type in your truck and it give you aftermarket speakers that are drop in replacements.
I know that. Im basically asking if it's worth it to pay more for speakers, but if my amp cant supply enough power for the more expensive speakers then is it a waste of money.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You need more efficient speakers to pair with factory amp. Look for ones with higher DB levels.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know that. Im basically asking if it's worth it to pay more for speakers, but if my amp cant supply enough power for the more expensive speakers then is it a waste of money.
I've heard alot of good at least with doing the dash speakers probably about to do them myself. Sound quality wise.

mch

Reaction score
I was hoping for something along the same lines with people who actually installed speakers and confirmed they made a difference. Like specific speakers for each spot, if the speaker needs any specific adapter cable, to include any needed speaker ohm adjustments. Last truck I did was nearly 10 years ago, and I just replaced the head unit, installed an amp, and ran all my own RCA and speaker cables. My Alpine system in the Ram sounds pretty good as is, but if I can get it sounding a little better without much work, I'm for it.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was hoping for something along the same lines with people who actually installed speakers and confirmed they made a difference. Like specific speakers for each spot, if the speaker needs any specific adapter cable, to include any needed speaker ohm adjustments. Last truck I did was nearly 10 years ago, and I just replaced the head unit, installed an amp, and ran all my own RCA and speaker cables. My Alpine system in the Ram sounds pretty good as is, but if I can get it sounding a little better without much work, I'm for it.

Just do some browsing around. This is a heavily talked about subject. Specifically, many are replacing the dash speakers and receiving great results. There is a recent thread about the types of speakers people used, the ohms, wire adapters required and even tools that may be needed. There is also a recent thread where someone posted a PDF from Crutchfield documenting pretty much everything about the wiring, speakers, removing panels, etc. specific to our 2019 trucks.

Reactions: mch

Blvckr3bel

Reaction score
I have heard good firsthand reviews from people who have swapped the dash speakers so that sounds promising. I was reading reviews also on door speakers on crutchfield and chatted in with one of their reps. They said just adding new speakers won’t be enough. You’ll lose volume and the bass will be nearly non existent. You would need to couple the speakers with an aftermarket amp to maximize the potential of any aftermarket set.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My two cents. Upgrading the dash speakers is super easy, cheap and quick. If you’re even slightly unhappy, start there. Kickers, jbl, jl, hertz, infinity are a few great choices. Sound will immediately be crisper and brighter.

Live with that a few weeks. If you’re still not happy. Read up on replacing door speakers as a next step. The options and potential wiring/anc issues. The amp/sub would be your final upgrade if still not happy after that (which is the step I’m on with my base 6 speaker upgrade journey).

Users who are viewing this thread