5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading factory LED

bigalf

Reaction score
Hello
Just picked up my new 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport, LOVE IT. Upgraded from 2012 QC outdoorsman. So Im a light guy, and I am wondering if the after market LED bulbs are worth upgrading to if I already have the factory LED. I want to at the last change the 3rd brake and all the interior lights to LED, but wondering if it worth going further with upgrading the actual LED bulbs with aftermarket.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I believe the factory LED lights are all one housing. You can't remove/replace the LED bulbs in the headlights. You have to buy a whole new housing. I'm not sure about the tailights. I replaced all my interior lights and cargo lights with these LEDs though. I'm happy with them.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I doubt your will get anything better than what you airway have unless you go to the limited's headlights. Also, be careful which 3rd brake light led you use. It will cause issues with your key fob. There are a lot of posts about that. I've heard that Diode Dynamics don't have an issue with it, but they are more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I believe the factory LED lights are all one housing. You can't remove/replace the LED bulbs in the headlights. You have to buy a whole new housing. I'm not sure about the tailights. I replaced all my interior lights and cargo lights with these LEDs though. I'm happy with them.

^^this. Factory LED headlights and taillights don't have replaceable bulbs to 'upgrade'. You'd have to replace the whole assembly with something else.

bigalf

Reaction score
Welp that solves that, no wonder I couldnt find answers else where. I have been looking at Diode Dynamic, good to know theyre not haivn the FOB problems.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's hit or miss with LasFit. Diode Dynamics seem to have no issue. Both are made in the USA.

Others have had luck with other Chinese brands from Amazon for less if that better fits your budget.

I have LasFit with no issue. If I do I'm switching to Diode Dynamics and stay USA-made.

GrayRam20

Reaction score
I have heard different things about upgrading from basic lights (front and rear) to the factory led assembly's.

Does anyone know if i can just buy the factory headlight and tail lights ....plug and play...or maybe just some wiring/fuse updates?

Id like to keep it factory parts.....or a highly recommended aftermarket set up..?

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have heard different things about upgrading from basic lights (front and rear) to the factory led assembly's.

Does anyone know if i can just buy the factory headlight and tail lights ....plug and play...or maybe just some wiring/fuse updates?

Id like to keep it factory parts.....or a highly recommended aftermarket set up..?
Factory LED headlight will required adapter, tail light is plug and play.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I upgraded my headlights from halogen to the OEM led. Used the plug and play adapter from retro shop. Was worth the money, the light output is amazing

EEnginerd

Reaction score
I upgraded my headlights from halogen to the OEM led. Used the plug and play adapter from retro shop. Was worth the money, the light output is amazing
Would you mind sharing what you paid for everything? Much appreciated.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing what you paid for everything? Much appreciated.
I actually bought a pair of the headlights from another member on here for $800 they had only been on his truck for 600 miles. Then paid $175 for the adapters from retro shop. So I saved a lot of money over buying them new

Last edited:

froy119

Reaction score
The OEM LED headlights are about $600 each and the harness is $175. I bought mine from Rock auto due to having a discount code and cheaper/faster shipping. They do make a big difference in looks and overall visibility at night.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It's hit or miss with LasFit. Diode Dynamics seem to have no issue. Both are made in the USA.

Others have had luck with other Chinese brands from Amazon for less if that better fits your budget.

I have LasFit with no issue. If I do I'm switching to Diode Dynamics and stay USA-made.
Yep. Another vote for DD. American company and the products are made in Missouri. No issues with fob or interference of any kind.

Users who are viewing this thread