5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upfitter Switches

BarryC

Reaction score
I’ve had nothing but a headache putting these AUX Switches in my 21 - 1500.

NOW, I keep blowing the 5 AMP fuse in the relay box when I turn my plow on (AUX Switch 1).
Does anyone know WTF this is all about?
Ty!!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

NOW, I keep blowing the 5 AMP fuse in the relay box when I turn my plow on (AUX Switch 1).
Ty!!
Not having the wiring diagrams, I would only venture a guess that 5 Amps sounds pretty light for a plow.

dmitriy

Reaction score

Ty!!

Where did you get the relay box? do you have a diagram of how you wired it? The switches are a negative pulldown to ground I believe as mentioned by Jimmy. you got a short somewhere.

BarryC

Reaction score
Where did you get the relay box? do you have a diagram of how you wired it? The switches are a negative pulldown to ground I believe as mentioned by Jimmy. you got a short somewhere.
I have this one…
I changed the 5AMP fuse to 10AMP, probably not the best solution but seems to be working.
D82253F2-2766-49ED-B883-68DDD46C2ADA.jpeg

BarryC

Reaction score
Not having the wiring diagrams, I would only venture a guess that 5 Amps sounds pretty light for a plow.
I put a 10AMP in last night, seems to be working just don’t know IF that’s a good idea?

BarryC

Reaction score
Good Morning,
So, Although I swapped the 5AMP fuse to 10AMP it already blew.
NOW I'm up to a 20AMP fuse (in the relay box), all seems to be good BUTTTT Is there anything that I need to change (in the relay box or truck) so that I don't fry something up?
Ty!!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good Morning,
So, Although I swapped the 5AMP fuse to 10AMP it already blew.
NOW I'm up to a 20AMP fuse (in the relay box), all seems to be good BUTTTT Is there anything that I need to change (in the relay box or truck) so that I don't fry something up?
Ty!!
What is the continuous current draw of the plow function for that switch?
What size is the battery power wire feeding that aux fuse box?
What size, and how long is the aux output wire to the plow?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jimmy07 is on the right track and has forgotten more than I will ever know but. I think we need to know what your setup is and the specs of what the switch is powering.

dmitriy

Reaction score
I have this one…
I changed the 5AMP fuse to 10AMP, probably not the best solution but seems to be working.
View attachment 152698

Just guessing here but those wires don't look to be above ~16-14 gauge so I would definitely not exceed ~20 (maybe 30 if they are 14 gauge) fuses.
What are you trying to power with it? (does your plow have a manual which says how much current draw is expected?)

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you trying to power with it? (does your plow have a manual which says how much current draw is expected?)
What he said. ☝️ Most plows have a separate heavy feed direct from battery for the main pump motor, and the control wiring only operates relays and solenoids. So what did you connect where, and how does that compare with the way the plow's maker said to hook it up?

BarryC

Reaction score
Boy, this **** is WAY over my head.

What I can tell you guys is the Plow has 2 power sources. One is directly wired to the truck because my truck has a SnowPlow Prep package (wiring for lights and plow power). Yes, there is a slenonid that clicks as I operate the hand controller in the cab. In fact, the second power source is for the plow hand controller (probably 12 gauge wire) and thats the one that I’m hooking up to the AUX switch.

So basically, I turn the AUX button on and my plow controller lights up and turns everything on and ready to plow.

You guys are great, thanks for helping.

BTW, we finally got some snow here in New England and things seem to be working fine with the 20AMP fuse, just don’t know IF I’m running things too hot.
DD199504-E93B-44AE-8FFD-C7A2A1F8163B.jpeg

67181327-243C-4FA4-AD0C-BC4430E96E88.jpeg

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So based on the photos, I looked your plow up on the internet and downloaded the installation manual. They show a 15A fuse for ignition switched control power feed, which I'm betting is the one we've been talking about. So put in a 15A fuse and see how that works for you.

BarryC

Reaction score
So based on the photos, I looked your plow up on the internet and downloaded the installation manual. They show a 15A fuse for ignition switched control power feed, which I'm betting is the one we've been talking about. So put in a 15A fuse and see how that works for you.
Wow that’s so nice of you, just can’t thank you enough!!

BarryC

Reaction score
Good Morning Fellas,

My plow seems to be working great now, can't thank you fellas enough.
BTW, I'd love to buy you guys Lunch somehow :)

I promise, my last question..... lol!

So, Its apparent that I have a 2022 1500 Big Horn with a UC5 8.4 radio. The AUX Switches turn on and off BUT I still can't figure out how to get them to appear on the Radio screen OR MAYBE even the Spedo Screen section? I understand that I can program them in the alphaOBD software but would really like to have them appear somewhere after spending all this money if its possible.

Here are the settings that I've tried:
-CBC Features: Configuration Aux Switches PTO-SIX SWITCHES
-Lin & Misc: ASBM Present- YES
-Auxiliary Switches: CSM Present:
SWITCH 1-4 OPTION AND ALSO Tried the 3-6 option.

Anything else I can do?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good Morning Fellas,

My plow seems to be working great now, can't thank you fellas enough.
BTW, I'd love to buy you guys Lunch somehow :)

I promise, my last question..... lol!

So, Its apparent that I have a 2022 1500 Big Horn with a UC5 8.4 radio. The AUX Switches turn on and off BUT I still can't figure out how to get them to appear on the Radio screen OR MAYBE even the Spedo Screen section? I understand that I can program them in the alphaOBD software but would really like to have them appear somewhere after spending all this money if its possible.

Here are the settings that I've tried:
-CBC Features: Configuration Aux Switches PTO-SIX SWITCHES
-Lin & Misc: ASBM Present- YES
-Auxiliary Switches: CSM Present:
SWITCH 1-4 OPTION AND ALSO Tried the 3-6 option.

Anything else I can do?
If they haven’t shown by now, it’s safe to say that the 2022 UC5 non nav radios aren’t capable of displaying the aux switches. There’s really nothing else you can do except program them how you want with AlfaOBD.

darkmage1991

Reaction score
for the 19/20 trucks since its the BCM thats the issue and there is already a workaround for the BCM to get the digital mirror working by adding a "slave" BCM somewhere in the truck. would it be possible to utilize that same BCM to enable the switches?
I mean sure the actual config wont work through the radio but from what i read here you can manually configure the switches using alfa?

hmm, well this post: Swap BCM from 2019 to 2022 for New Features?
indicates you can program the 21 bcm to a 20. maybe ill go that route as that route is atleast confirmed working by 1 person(well atleast confirmed way of getting the necessary bcm)

EDIT:
So this post(which is older by a good bit) Upfitter Switches
says you cant program a mismatched bcm? not sure what to think on this one.

Last edited:

suli

Reaction score
Anyone ever figure out this BCM issue and is it swapable to a 21+? I have these silly AUX switched sitting here on my desk for a year now hoping someone with good dealer connections can figure this out to have all the buttons function.

Daverous

Reaction score
Yes. A dealer can program a 21 bcm for your older truck. It’s just a matter of getting them to do it. It took me jumping through a few hoops to make it happen.

Never tell them what you’re doing, simply state you need a spare programmed. If you mention anything about it being for a different model year you’ll get shot down.

Tali24

Reaction score
So about the VSIM can that be added to a 20 1500 after the truck was built. Been trying to figure it out if it possible before I go buying things. I’m trying to get the outputs for brake turn ext without tapping wires.

Users who are viewing this thread