5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*UPDATE* Totaled or Not Thread

sessman

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

You probably didn't notice but I deleted my initial thread due to insurance/lawyer reasons (in hindsight I could have just deleted the pictures from the accident but here we are). Attached is the picture I shared of my truck after being t-boned while at the tow yard.

I am happy to say that before a total tear down the shop estimated repairs at $37k and my insurance company adjuster deemed it a total loss.

I used the settlement money to buy a new 2021 Laramie Night Edition and couldn't be happier. I got the panoramic sunroof and 4x4 I regretted not getting initially.

In any case there was a healthy debate going on regarding whether or not it would be totaled and wanted to fill everyone in.

Attachments

• 20210717_151845.jpg
    20210717_151845.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210717_150520.jpg
    20210717_150520.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Inked20210808_171139_LI (2).jpg
    Inked20210808_171139_LI (2).jpg
    238 KB · Views: 203

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

You probably didn't notice but I deleted my initial thread due to insurance/lawyer reasons (in hindsight I could have just deleted the pictures from the accident but here we are). Attached is the picture I shared of my truck after being t-boned while at the tow yard.

I am happy to say that before a total tear down the shop estimated repairs at $37k and my insurance company adjuster deemed it a total loss.

I used the settlement money to buy a new 2021 Laramie Night Edition and couldn't be happier. I got the panoramic sunroof and 4x4 I regretted not getting initially.

In any case there was a healthy debate going on regarding whether or not it would be totaled and wanted to fill everyone in.
pics?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure what to say here. Congratulations on having a completely totaled truck, I guess.

No, wait. Glad to see things worked out in your favor That’s what I was looking for.

Remind me again what the truck was worth - what percentage of the value was the damage total?

Was the claims process with USAA pretty decent? I had a few bumps with mine. But ultimately it all worked out fine.

Last edited:

sessman

Reaction score
I’m not sure what to say here. Congratulations on having a completely totaled truck, I guess.

No, wait. Glad to see things worked out in your favor That’s what I was looking for.

Remind me again what the truck was worth - what percentage of the value was the damage total?

Was the claims process with USAA pretty decent? I had a few bumps with mine. But ultimately it all worked out fine.
Truck was appraised at $55k and before the total tear down the shop came it at $37k. They said they estimate $XX more after doing a full year down/inspection and came to the conclusion it was a total loss.

Overall it was a pretty smooth process though to be honest. What hiccups did you experience?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Truck was appraised at $55k and before the total tear down the shop came it at $37k. They said they estimate $XX more after doing a full year down/inspection and came to the conclusion it was a total loss.

Overall it was a pretty smooth process though to be honest. What hiccups did you experience?
It just took too long, and I felt like I had to babysit the entire process of coordinating tow trucks and repair estimates. Even after they had declared it a loss, it took weeks to get the check. It just felt too DMV-style-bureaucratic for my tastes.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
most insurance companies will start thinking "totaled" once a high cost vehicle,(over $50K), gets over 50% of it's value to repair. The salvage market for these vehicles will run anywhere from 30% up to 60%, meaning they can get back a big chunk of $ when it goes to auction. We had a Ferrari that returned 60% recently, ACV was $200K...we totaled it at $80K...

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good looking truck! Check my sig...;). Now get rid of those puny tires. :LOL:

sessman

Reaction score
Yes...I guess I need to update my sig.
I wonder what my truck would look like with the same size all-terrain tires (no lift)...not really interested in lifting but a little more tread would be nice. Have you seen any pics like this?

Also, is the night edition 4x4 higher off the ground than a laramie non-night 4x2? I swear my truck feels/looks higher off the ground than my previous 2019.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wonder what my truck would look like with the same size all-terrain tires (no lift)...not really interested in lifting but a little more tread would be nice. Have you seen any pics like this?

Also, is the night edition 4x4 higher off the ground than a laramie non-night 4x2? I swear my truck feels/looks higher off the ground than my previous 2019.
I'm not sure if the 2WD and 4WD are the same height. Check out the gallery on Custom Offsets. They might have pics of trucks with bigger tires on non leveled Ram's.

Users who are viewing this thread