5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update today

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On an update a month or so ago, I clicked update and ignored the prompts for the ignition off and went for a drive. The infotainment center was spazzing out for a while, but when the update was done, it rebooted and I was good.
I got my update when I was at the mall last Saturday. I clicked on update and drove home :ROFLMAO: Update finished and rebooted 20mins before I got home.

LV426

Reaction score
I would really like to know what distinguishes on who gets an update or not and why... Seems like only the 2021's are getting the updates from what I can tell, 19 & 20's are SOL and still on old 20.04.19....

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would really like to know what distinguishes on who gets an update or not and why... Seems like only the 2021's are getting the updates from what I can tell, 19 & 20's are SOL and still on old 20.04.19....
I'm guessing it's because of the different hardware. Us "2021" will probably be in the same boat once the 2022s roll out with their Uconnect 5 infotainment.

FYI, I can't see any difference and/or added functionality with my uconnect infotainment after the update.

LV426

Reaction score
From reading through the threads, it seems like they (Uconnect) classify the HW by the last 4 of the HW part # (I could be wrong) N3GL for example, the OP's ends with that and so does mine but who knows... Must be a secret specific combination required to be update worthy.

I'm surprised they needed to have such drastic HW revisions between these years, makes me wonder why.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a single person with a 2020 model year truck is reporting getting an update in a very long time.
I wonder if these 'updates' aren't really just bug fixes for the 2021 release?
Every person in this thread reporting an update has a 2021 truck.

LV426

Reaction score
I can confirm (unless I missed it). I have not found a single 2020 owner claim to receive an update. That combined with Uconnect support telling me there are "HARDWARE ISSUES" with all 19-20 UAX radios so they don't receive VHR updates is why I'm so suspicious of this radio. My position is, if they know there is a hardware issue, then replace them before problems come up in the future.

Last edited:

CanRebel

Reaction score
You will always get the message: "YOUR VEHICLE IS UP TO DATE".

My Rebel 2021 is also up to date. Someone mentioned above about only 2021. That isn't true :)

On other another ram site, there are 2019 and 2020 who got updated. But I think they had classic rams.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can confirm (unless I missed it). I have not found a single 2020 owner claim to receive an update. That combined with Uconnect support telling me there are "HARDWARE ISSUES" with all 19-20 UAX radios so they don't receive VHR updates is why I'm so suspicious of this radio. My position is, if they know there is a hardware issue, then replace them before problems come up in the future.
Makes sense. So our 2020 trucks probably aren't capable of receiving an over the air update then. Only a dealer visit combined with a request to update the system will net an actual update?
They aren't going to recall thousands of trucks for a hardware issue in uconnect. Not a physical safety issue.

LV426

Reaction score
I suppose but If that radio takes a **** sometime down the road due to hardware problems, there will be no way to control some features (certain climate settings, camera, Wi-Fi, heated seats, etc...) I'd be interested as to what the HW issue is also.

Lets say Android Auto or Carplay gets some update a year from now or a security patch or something, what if that breaks its connection with the Uconnect 12, maybe even screws it up . I guess it'll be a lot of trips to the dealer for us...

coldmist

Reaction score
I've got a 2019 RAM and have never gotten an over the air update, ever. At least Android Auto works, so I have that. But it's the only thing that I don't like about the truck. They advertised it as being upstate-able, Some people with my hardware version got updates, but mine never did.

LV426

Reaction score
I wish people would realize how important updates are for these radios. I can guarantee there will be issues down the road if they completely stop supporting/updating them... And the fact the Uconnect is silent about the subject is more troubling.

From a recent Digital Trends article regarding Android Auto:

"Even though your vehicle doesn’t have much to do with Android Auto updates, it will still need regular maintenance in order to run the latest software or firmware necessary for these platforms. Many times, this means installing over-the-air (OTA) updates from your vehicle’s manufacturer when they are sent out. If you’re not a fan of dealing with these types of technical updates and processes, we advise taking your vehicle to the dealership. One of the technicians can help you by ensuring your infotainment system is working correctly and operating at optimal capacity."

Remember when Uconnect pushed a bad OTA in 2018? That's what happens with poor support.

"It’s not just the radio that these customers have lost access to. Uconnect also includes controls for heat and A/C, heated seats and steering wheels, rear-view cameras, and is needed to power things like the vehicle’s voice assistant and even the “SOS” feature. Even with redundant physical buttons — which are becoming rare in a screen-first world — not all of these controls will be available until FCA issues a fix."

They need to get their **** together.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had my radio replaced at the dealer due to freezing issues and this is the new HW/SW version I got. I totally forgot to get a pic of the old one tho.

Attachments

• FF30E93C-5BD0-4F9C-BF88-BD6C03695C21.jpeg
    FF30E93C-5BD0-4F9C-BF88-BD6C03695C21.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 45

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just had my radio replaced at the dealer due to freezing issues and this is the new HW/SW version I got. I totally forgot to get a pic of the old one tho.
It looks like the Canadian software/hardware is different than the US version.

20211028_151655.jpg

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the OTA update 21.18.14 a few weeks ago. Anyone know if there's a Release Note on the update? I don't see anything different.

Rbohac

Reaction score
I have a 2019 limited and received the update on Friday. At first I thought I bricked it. I shut the truck off right after clicking on update now (wasn’t thinking). I drive home with a black screen. The next morning the update was complete. I wish I had clicked on it to see what was changed.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 limited and received the update on Friday. At first I thought I bricked it. I shut the truck off right after clicking on update now (wasn’t thinking). I drive home with a black screen. The next morning the update was complete. I wish I had clicked on it to see what was changed.
I didn't see a list of changes after mine updated.

Users who are viewing this thread