5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming UAW Strike

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Management will always get their bonuses and compensation. It's the laborers that suffer. Unions who are usually in bed with management are supposed to fight for the laborers
A great majority of unions do the right thing but like anything else there are always bad apples. We’ve seen the corruption before and will in the future. Unfortunately there are always a few who place greed over doing the right thing. Sounds like the UAW had that with the previous union leadership.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
A great majority of unions do the right thing but like anything else there are always bad apples. We’ve seen the corruption before and will in the future. Unfortunately there are always a few who place greed over doing the right thing. Sounds like the UAW had that with the previous union leadership.

If I've said it once I've said it a million times. Unions are a double edged sword

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
$500 a week isn't actually all that bad IMO. Would cliche concepts like "living within your means" and "saving for a rainy day" be too far out of line?
$500/week isn't bad? Wow. That is low even in OH.

I just Googled at apartment rent in Fairfax, Northern VA:

"What is the average rent in Fairfax?​

The average rent for an apartment in Fairfax is $2,302. The cost of rent varies depending on several factors, including location, size, and quality."

If you own, forget about it. What about groceries? Family of 3 not eating out is about $700/month. dont forget utilities, car payment and other just general niceties of living.

Yes, I suppose, I own my home. So if I killed the utilities, slept on the floor in front of the fireplace, cooked with wood over a campfire in the backyard, bathed in the creek, defecated downstream from the bathing spot, got rid of the dogs, sold the truck and hunted more, $500/week would have me just living the highlife.

Dewey

Reaction score
$500/week isn't bad? Wow. That is low even in OH.

I just Googled at apartment rent in Fairfax, Northern VA:

"What is the average rent in Fairfax?​

The average rent for an apartment in Fairfax is $2,302. The cost of rent varies depending on several factors, including location, size, and quality."

If you own, forget about it. What about groceries? Family of 3 not eating out is about $700/month. dont forget utilities, car payment and other just general niceties of living.

Yes, I suppose, I own my home. So if I killed the utilities, slept on the floor in front of the fireplace, cooked with wood over a campfire in the backyard, bathed in the creek, defecated downstream from the bathing spot, got rid of the dogs, sold the truck and hunted more, $500/week would have me just living the highlife.
Likely many have spouses with a second income as well so that makes it a whole lot more doable.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So with "upcoming" transitioning to "ongoing", how long until the layoffs start? I can't imagine them waiting for a new contract to trim cost out of the work force. Give it another week, or just start now?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
That's for part time work, right? Walking a picket line a day or two a week? I could do that and still keep my regular job. Where do I sign up?
That's for full time work, regular job. I don't think the union is going to be a part time gig while a full time career is elsewhere.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's for full time work, regular job. I don't think the union is going to be a part time gig while a full time career is elsewhere.
The way I read it that's strike pay, which typically is around half the normal pay. Basically stand around and hold a sign a couple days a week.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The way I read it that's strike pay, which typically is around half the normal pay. Basically stand around and hold a sign a couple days a week.
It's still, $500/week. Point being that is suck @ss pay. Understand they are doing little to earn it but it's still $500/week. Unless you are Joe Dirt, you aren't getting ahead in life on $500/week.

1xqfis.jpg

n8zcc

Reaction score
It's still, $500/week. Point being that is suck @ss pay. Understand they are doing little to earn it but it's still $500/week. Unless you are Joe Dirt, you aren't getting ahead in life on $500/week.
$500 a week before taxes becomes about $400 depending on their tax situation. That isn't going to pay the bills most have.

Dewey

Reaction score
It's about as effective as the UAW strike is going so far.
They’re at a 5% raise per year right now. (20% over 4 years) That’s 2% more than I’ve ever gotten in any contract negotiations over 30 years. UAW is still standing strong asking 36% over 4 years!
Lot’s of other sticking points though that the union thinks are even more important than pay raises. I expect the BIg 3 to go back to negotiating when the assembly lines stop and profits start disappearing.

Users who are viewing this thread