5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming UAW Strike

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And might ruffle a few feathers, but if they didn't have union dues and other stuff that comes with being in a union, how much more take home pay would they have.

A few years ago I was approached by a union rep for Local 22 Electrical union. He handed me a paper that broke it all down as if it was going to get me excited about joining. By the time everything came out of my paycheck for the hourly wage they listed take home pay was almost $8/hr less than the starting pay rate. I thought that was ridiculous. Especially when they were only offering me the same rate I was currently making, as the starting point.

Granted I'm a bit of a different situation in that I don't need the medical benefits as I am retired military, but with being union, I and forced to pay for healthcare through them, and can't keep that money for something I don't need.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You see those in interviews saying they need more money to support their families, so if that's the case, I can't imagine $500 a week for three months is going to do that.
$500 a week isn't actually all that bad IMO. Would cliche concepts like "living within your means" and "saving for a rainy day" be too far out of line?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
$500 a week isn't actually all that bad IMO. Would cliche concepts like "living within your means" and "saving for a rainy day" be too far out of line?
Depends on where you live. That's only $12.50 and hour. Going to have a rough time supporting a family on that. Single or only married would be able to survive. Seems a lot of those factory workers are single income so spouse can stay home to take care of kids

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How long before the union members start demanding $15/hr minimum wage from Union while in strike? I mean, that is on the unions, not the companies they work for. of course they would raise unions dues to offset that, meaning less take home pay for the union member. and with union you don't have any individual negotiation ability for your own pay or benefits. You are limited to what the union contract says.

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
You see those in interviews saying they need more money to support their families, so if that's the case, I can't imagine $500 a week for three months is going to do that.
Precisely. Remember how many members voted for this current UAW president. Not everyone is throwing all options in the trash can on fb live, though the guy with the camera on sure is.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone notice how similar the name “Shawn Fain” is to “Sinn Fèin”? As in, the political arm of the terrorist group, the Irish Republican Army? Just a weird coincidence.

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anybody with experience going into a sticky union contract negotiations knows to start stacking up cash WELL before contract time. Of course your always gonna have a percentage that lives well beyond their means who cannot afford to prepare. Those will be the ones to cave first and pressure union leaders to accept the contract.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody with experience going into a sticky union contract negotiations knows to start stacking up cash WELL before contract time. Of course your always gonna have a percentage that lives well beyond their means who cannot afford to prepare. Those will be the ones to cave first and pressure union leaders to accept the contract.
Line I said, those being interviewed saying they can barely support their families in current pay aren't going to have the ability to "stack" cash. and I'd bet there's a lot more e players at lower pay levels in the situations than those living comfortable

Dewey

Reaction score
Line I said, those being interviewed saying they can barely support their families in current pay aren't going to have the ability to "stack" cash. and I'd bet there's a lot more e players at lower pay levels in the situations than those living comfortable
Believe me there are no long time UAW employees who cannot support their families. If they are they’re suffering very poor money management skills. Average wage is well over $30/hr.

Even 2nd tier are nowhere near a wage that would be considered very low pay. Still a reasonable wage for temp workers but that doesn’t make it right that they should be making so much less than senior employees doing the same work. Making them all even pay is something the union is fighting for and I fully support that. My union was the same way and we fought for that last contract and won. Made the temps full time and matched their wage with the rest of us.

All of these large companies use the same playbook. It’s amazing how similar everything is from union to union.

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
IMG_8999.jpeg
Little wages lower than I thought for temp workers.

IMG_8998.jpeg

Dewey

Reaction score
I mean, if you are a temp employee, Not sure how you can expect full time pay.

And $33/hr isn't bad money for most cities where there are car/truck factories. That's better than a lot of skilled labor trades.
Problem is these companies utilizing temp workers are many times not using them on a temp only basis. Like many complained they’re retained as a temp worker for 4 years doing the same work as senior employees and never get hired on full time like I’m sure many were promised. That’s how these companies save money by taking advantage of temp workers and not having to hire full time top pay employees. As you can imagine long term working next to somebody doing the same job and making twice as much as you can get pretty frustrating. If they are truly temp workers for only a few months that’s different but for years and beyond is wrong. That’s something that needs to be eliminated.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
As I said before, unions are a double edged sword. They may negotiate "fair" wages but we all know that drives up the cost of the products for the consumer. We all know the companies will still maintain their profit margins by increasing the prices of the product. As far as personal financial stability that's on yourself. As far as im concerned, if you're making $30+ per hour and don't have any savings account to rely on then you're mismanaging your money.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Problem is these companies utilizing temp workers are many times not using them on a temp only basis. Like many complained they’re retained as a temp worker for 4 years doing the same work as senior employees and never get hired on full time like I’m sure many were promised. That’s how these companies save money by taking advantage of temp workers and not having to hire full time top pay employees. As you can imagine long term working next to somebody doing the same job and making twice as much as you can get pretty frustrating. That’s wrong and something that needs to be eliminated. If they are truly temp workers for only a few months that’s different but for years and beyond is wrong.
They use temp labor to avoid the union pay and benefits they have to pay out because of the negotiated contract. Companies, much like ourself will do what they can to avoid paying out more than they have to

Dewey

Reaction score
They use temp labor to avoid the union pay and benefits they have to pay out because of the negotiated contract. Companies, much like ourself will do what they can to avoid paying out more than they have to
Record profits and excessive pay increases to top tier management are always the sticking point and what brings on these demands. Hard for the Big 3 to say they’re trying to cut back on costs when they keep skimming for the top.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Problem is these companies utilizing temp workers are many times not using them on a temp only basis. Like many complained they’re retained as a temp worker for 4 years doing the same work as senior employees and never get hired on full time like I’m sure many were promised. That’s how these companies save money by taking advantage of temp workers and not having to hire full time top pay employees. As you can imagine long term working next to somebody doing the same job and making twice as much as you can get pretty frustrating. If they are truly temp workers for only a few months that’s different but for years and beyond is wrong. That’s something that needs to be eliminated.
Not sure how the "temp employee" vs full time employee is decided within the Union. If they are working 40/hrs a week for more than a few weeks then they should be full time employees. If the employee isn't smart enough to quit as a temp employee and work on becoming full timez that should be on them. if they only want to be a temp employee then they shouldn't be working full time

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Record profits and excessive pay increases to top tier management are always the sticking point and what brings on these demands. Hard for the Big 3 to say they’re trying to cut back on costs when they keep skimming for the top.
Management will always get their bonuses and compensation. It's the laborers that suffer. Unions who are usually in bed with management are supposed to fight for the laborers

Dewey

Reaction score
Not sure how the "temp employee" vs full time employee is decided within the Union. If they are working 40/hrs a week for more than a few weeks then they should be full time employees. If the employee isn't smart enough to quit as a temp employee and work on becoming full timez that should be on them. if they only want to be a temp employee then they shouldn't be working full time
You obviously don’t understand how the temp worker thing works so I’ll explain. In my company temp workers were working 60-80 hrs a week just like everyone else and the company kept dangling the carrot of eventually being hired on full time. I’m sure it’s the same here. Many quit but with the OT most stayed just for the money. Granted the job market was way worse than it is now. I suspect the Big 3 are having a harder time finding temp workers right now so it’s probably a good time to give that one to the union and eliminate the temp status completely by hiring them all on full time.

I feel for these people. Contracts are never fun and I’m glad I don’t have to deal with another one. I’m retiring at 55 in January before our next one. I’ve been through 6 contract negotiations over the last 30 years and really looking forward to getting out well before the next one in April. We tend to follow the UAW’s lead so it could get ugly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread