5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UOA - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum PUP 5w20 w/5k miles

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Just curious, what do they use at the dealerships and what do they charge? Had a finance guy tell me that per FCA that oil changes are done at a loss. Also would think its a good time to check for "updates" on software in our trucks. Also said after first time they send you email coupons for future oil changes...not sure since truck only has 300 on it so far

I paid $49 including tax for a full synthetic Penzoil change at my dealership. Regular Penzoil was around $35. That's pretty darn cheap for a dealership oil change in my experience.

Nighthawk

Reaction score
For under $50 it doesn’t make sense to change your own. Need to find out if dealer has a quick service though, dropping it off is a PITA

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I paid $49 including tax for a full synthetic Penzoil change at my dealership. Regular Penzoil was around $35. That's pretty darn cheap for a dealership oil change in my experience.
That’s a good price. I’m guessing they “upgraded” you to Pennzoil Platinum, which is labeled as a full synthetic. For the same price, I put in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a better filter myself.

But the truth is that if we both change our oil regularly, neither truck will have oil-related issues. Mine will be a bit cleaner underneath, and yours will get more frequent dealer inspections ;)

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
That’s a good price. I’m guessing they “upgraded” you to Pennzoil Platinum, which is labeled as a full synthetic. For the same price, I put in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a better filter myself.

But the truth is that if we both change our oil regularly, neither truck will have oil-related issues. Mine will be a bit cleaner underneath, and yours will get more frequent dealer inspections ;)

I assumed the same about it not being PUP. Since I have the lifetime warranty I figure some of what I'm paying for is for them to keep all the maintenance records so I don't have to keep documentation for doing my own oil changes. With the amount of miles these trucks can go between changes, it's not all that much more expensive to have the dealership do all the changes. If I saved $20 per change, I'd only save about $400 over 200,000 miles.

The biggest peace of mind is knowing if something goes wrong I can just look at my wife and say, "the service department must have messed that up" instead of saying, "I messed that up and now we have to pay for the repairs."

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I assumed the same about it not being PUP. Since I have the lifetime warranty I figure some of what I'm paying for is for them to keep all the maintenance records so I don't have to keep documentation for doing my own oil changes. With the amount of miles these trucks can go between changes, it's not all that much more expensive to have the dealership do all the changes. If I saved $20 per change, I'd only save about $400 over 200,000 miles.

The biggest peace of mind is knowing if something goes wrong I can just look at my wife and say, "the service department must have messed that up" instead of saying, "I messed that up and now we have to pay for the repairs."
I don't disagree, and I considered doing the same. We have followed that logic for years with my wife's Audi, even purchasing the maintenance plans.

In Texas, Ram customers are entitled to 4 free oil changes in the first 2 years. I'll only need 2-3, tops, and now I've already done the first one. The dealership uses a synthetic blend for their standard oil change, and they quoted me $30 to upgrade the free oil change to synthetic (presumably Pennzoil Platinum). In the end, I decided to spend an extra $20, have PUP and a Mobil 1 EP filter delivered to my door, install a Fumoto drain valve, and avoid the hassle of scheduling a service appointment across town. But I'm also documenting everything, as I too have the lifetime warranty.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
I don't disagree, and I considered doing the same. We have followed that logic for years with my wife's Audi, even purchasing the maintenance plans.

In Texas, Ram customers are entitled to 4 free oil changes in the first 2 years. I'll only need 2-3, tops, and now I've already done the first one. The dealership uses a synthetic blend for their standard oil change, and they quoted me $30 to upgrade the free oil change to synthetic (presumably Pennzoil Platinum). In the end, I decided to spend an extra $20, have PUP and a Mobil 1 EP filter delivered to my door, install a Fumoto drain valve, and avoid the hassle of scheduling a service appointment across town. But I'm also documenting everything, as I too have the lifetime warranty.

If I didn't hate doing paperwork so much the documentation wouldn't be such a PITA to me. I know it's not all that hard, just take pictures, and don't forget to back them up so you don't lose them if your phone frags. But the ability to be absolved of liability with the wife if something goes wrong is too big a benefit.

This is the most expensive vehicle either of us has ever owned, and the only one I decided on for us with little input from her. I want to make sure that nothing goes wrong that can be blamed on me, and enjoy driving it for a good long time.

Users who are viewing this thread