5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UOA - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum PUP 5w20 w/5k miles

dreinert

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my Blackstone oil analysis report with PUP 5w20 and a Fram XG10060 oil filter.

This was the 2nd oil change, first one was done at 3k miles. I'm surprised at the additives still left at 5k miles (TBN 4.7). I live in WI, park outside, and drive +75% hwy.

I'm running Redline oil now with Royal Purple filter and will probably run it 7k miles (change at 15k truck miles).

Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• UOA - 2019 Ram 1500 PUP5w20 5k miles.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 252

dreinert

Reaction score
$38 Total - $28 for the oil and and additional $10 for the TBN (Total Base Number ~ How many/much additives are still left in the oil). You don't need to get the TBN, I did it to see if I could go longer than 5k miles on the oil.

Blackstone sends you the kit for free and you can send it back whenever you want. They give you the return shipping container and it's already paid for and addressed so its super simple. It takes about 2-3 weeks to get the results emailed to you (1 page PDF).

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/

I just setup my online account with them and its nice because the analysis results for every sample you send are stored there.

Attached a picture of everything in the kit.

Blackstone Oil Analysis Kit.jpg

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sweet thank you. Seems super easy! I be doing that. Appreciate the info

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my Blackstone oil analysis report with PUP 5w20 and a Fram XG10060 oil filter.

This was the 2nd oil change, first one was done at 3k miles. I'm surprised at the additives still left at 5k miles (TBN 4.7). I live in WI, park outside, and drive +75% hwy.

I'm running Redline oil now with Royal Purple filter and will probably run it 7k miles (change at 15k truck miles).

Happy Holidays!
How much do they charge ?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What

Happy Holidays!
what oil filter did you use with the Pennzoil ultra platinum synthetic oil?

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When looking at the element levels, some elements like iron obviously come from engine wear but the source of others is not so clear. I like to send a sample of virgin engine oil for analysis which gives a nice baseline; levels that are above this can now be easier to attribute to have come from the engine and were not already present in the oil. After reading your report, it looks like your requested this.

I'd agree high copper is probably normal; maybe leached from pushrod bushings.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is definitely a premium oil. Its' TBN should compare favorably with other premium oils like Mobil1 and BelRay; imo these are fine for the recommended 10,000 mile intervals. Stepping up to the ultra premium oils like Amsoil should show a significantly higher TBN, which might allow longer intervals provided your fuel dilution and viscosity are still good. Even so, I still can't get myself to go beyond OEM recommended intervals.

Last edited:

dreinert

Reaction score
Fram XG10060 oil filter with the Pennzoil oil

$28 for the oil analysis portion only.

Electrical - Thanks for the feedback and additional detail. You're right, I was hoping to get a virgin report from them but no luck. There are some PUP 5w30 virgin reports out there but I couldn't find any 5w20 and they were also several years old and some have reported that Pennzoil may have modified the additives in the last 1-2yrs. I also agree on the change interval, worst case I'd still never go over past the Ram oil monitor and so far it's tracked to 1% per 100 miles = 10k miles...but I've never gone over 5k mile intervals having always previously used M1 EP oil in my previous vehicles...so it's all new territory for me! :)

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great info guys. I think I’m safe. I’ll go with Pennzoil ultra platinum and change it every 5,000 miles. Don’t mind paying for it that early and I’ll be at ease about my Hemi. As for the oil filter, I’m just going to have the service department put on their best mopar oil filter.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I must have the same oil monitor in my Durango... it seems to track very closely to 0% at 10,000 miles. People tell me that should change if I use it hard, like towing; but idk, never towed with it.

I was initially very disappointed that Mobil1 wasn't available in 5w20, but I've become comfortable with and grown to like the Pennzoil. From what I gather, I think the regular Platinum (as opposed to Ultra Platinum) is also high quality with top notch additives. That's the current opinion on BITOG anyways.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I must have the same oil monitor in my Durango... it seems to track very closely to 0% at 10,000 miles. People tell me that should change if I use it hard, like towing; but idk, never towed with it.

I was initially very disappointed that Mobil1 wasn't available in 5w20, but I've become comfortable with and grown to like the Pennzoil. From what I gather, I think the regular Platinum (as opposed to Ultra Platinum) is also high quality with top notch additives. That's the current opinion on BITOG anyways.
Here is Mobil 1 5w20 for sale on Walmart website. :whistle: IMG_3483.JPG

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is Mobil 1 5w20 for sale on Walmart website. :whistle:

Ah, sorry man... I should have been clearer... Mobil1 5w20 exists but does not meet Chrysler MS-6395.

If I ever have a problem, I don't want a warranty fight, so this is a deal breaker.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just looked at Mobil web site. See pics below. I see 5w-20 listed as meeting or exceeding Chrysler MS-6395. Maybe a recent addition to their spec sheet??? Even talks about Chrysler Hemi's with MDS in narrative. IMG_3485.JPG IMG_3484.JPG

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My goodness, J... this is news to me! Nice bird-dogging.

I'm as certain as I can be (which doesn't mean much) that around this time last year it was missing that certification.

Looks like it's good to go now. Awesome!

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fram XG10060 oil filter with the Pennzoil oil

$28 for the oil analysis portion only.

Electrical - Thanks for the feedback and additional detail. You're right, I was hoping to get a virgin report from them but no luck. There are some PUP 5w30 virgin reports out there but I couldn't find any 5w20 and they were also several years old and some have reported that Pennzoil may have modified the additives in the last 1-2yrs. I also agree on the change interval, worst case I'd still never go over past the Ram oil monitor and so far it's tracked to 1% per 100 miles = 10k miles...but I've never gone over 5k mile intervals having always previously used M1 EP oil in my previous vehicles...so it's all new territory for me! :)
I have always gone 10-11k on mobil 1 never had any problems even after 384 k miles.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just looked all around the Mobil website and different areas of site show different certifications for regular Mobil 1 5w-20. Some areas showed the MS-6395 and others didn't have it. The truck/suv Mobil1 didn't have it. I sent Mobil a couple emails telling them their website is contradicting itself and that they are losing out on sales as new Hemi buyers are going to Pennzoil synthetic as they are afraid to use oil not certified by Chrysler. Maybe it is a recent addition as they did especially mention the Hemi MDS system in the part I copied. My advice would be to see if it is listed on actual Mobil 1 bottle next time in a store to make sure. Maybe old inventory won't show it and fresh inventory will.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to add a little more nuance to the discussion, whether Mobil1 has the certification or not, the consensus seems to be that it's as good an oil as it's ever been.

The lack of certification was not because Mobil1 is a bad oil, it's because Mobil simply didn't bother going through the certification process. As J is discovering, maybe this has changed.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any high end quality oil will do. All vehicle manufacturers required lvls are high. Hell Wal-Mart super tech oil passes most to all certs for oil quality and demand from manufacturers. Worried about your oil, change it at lower mileage intervals with high quality filter.

And yes, if your wondering Super Tech does meet Chrysler—6395 requirements.

Last edited:

DavidB5303

Reaction score
Just curious, what do they use at the dealerships and what do they charge? Had a finance guy tell me that per FCA that oil changes are done at a loss. Also would think its a good time to check for "updates" on software in our trucks. Also said after first time they send you email coupons for future oil changes...not sure since truck only has 300 on it so far

Users who are viewing this thread