5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual Engine Noise

Kenny4

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I started the engine and it made an awful noise for about 15-20 seconds. It's difficult to describe. It sounded like a thin aluminum fan blade hitting against something. Any guesses as to what it might have been. Thanks

Kenny4

Reaction score
....Are we talking a tick?
No not at all. Not an engine ticking. It was like if you clipped a thin piece of aluminum on the spokes of a bike and spun it fast, it was very loud though. Very difficult to explain and I didn't want any of you to waste your time trying to guess. Rather I had hoped maybe someone else might have had this happen and figured it out. It's only happened once so far, but it was unnerving at the moment. I don't know if zero oil in the top end would cause the rocker arms to cladder like that. Usually they make a deeper more metal to metal sound.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe something got caught on the fan when you shut the truck off last ? If that's the case it sounds like it worked itself out and you probably won't hear it anymore .

Users who are viewing this thread