5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unleashing The Beast

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The gains made by an intake and exhaust are usually at the upper end of the rpm range but at the loss of low end torque
More than half the people in this thread said there are no gains/no effect on performance…?

Also, if you go heavy on the pedal, won't you be hitting that higher rpm range even at lower speeds?

Why does it make you lose low end torque? Just trying to (fully) understand what I'm getting into here…

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
More than half the people in this thread said there are no gains/no effect on performance…?

Also, if you go heavy on the pedal, won't you be hitting that higher rpm range even at lower speeds?

Why does it make you lose low end torque? Just trying to (fully) understand what I'm getting into here…
I'm sure everyone here including myself uses the butt dyno and do not know the true gain or loss.

More power at high rpm is like having something you need on the top shelf, you cant really reach it easily.

There is always a trade off, intake "restrictions" at low rpm generate torque but that restriction further up the rpm band becomes detrimental to horse power. If you look at a dyno graph of before and after cold air intake, you'll see minimal hp gains near the redline

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Because of the “I spent money on performance parts so there must be gains” placebo affect.

Same with people thinking throttle body spacers work, and those little tornado devices they sold in the 90s that went on your intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because of the “I spent money on performance parts so there must be gains” placebo affect.

Same with people thinking throttle body spacers work, and those little tornado devices they sold in the 90s that went on your intake.

So is there NOT a loss in low end torque, and a gain in higher RPMs?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
The gain at redline is minimal, some companies state you get around 15hp at redline. Which your average person will never feel especially on a heavy truck, nor is the average person at redline most of the time.

You wouldn’t loose any low end.

You’re over thinking it. If you want it to look/sound good, spend the money. If you expect any significant gains for the money spent, then don’t buy it.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re over thinking it.
I sure am! lol

Did the same thing with my tires. Actually, I'm still doing it with my tires. Occasionally it's a blessing that leads to me making a really satisfying purchase. Most of the time it's a curse that erodes my sanity 😅

I truly appreciate everyone's responses and info, thank you!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's "forced induction"?
"induction" and "aspiration" are terms used to describe "breathing" and/or airflow.

Once air is forced into an engine, rather than letting the engine pull it in, then you have "forced induction". The normal ways of doing this are with a super-charger or a turbo-charger.

The term to describe a non-forced induction engine is "normally aspirated intake", also abbreviated NAI.

And, FI is, of course, Forced Induction.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread